Its all in the oil

What's user favorite choice of oil when it comes to cooking?
Mine would be some generic sunflower or canolaoil

I use extra virgin olive oil for sweating, a more refined olive oil for frying and sauteeing, and sunflower oil for wok frying and deep frying.

red meat: peanut oil
white meat: canola oil
popcorn: rice bran oil or brown rice oil
cold dishes: extra virgin olive oil
sex lube: coconut oil

when i've used up my bottle of canola oil i'm gonna use use olive oil instead. canola is shit.

I use melted butter in all dishes that call for oil.

chilli infused sesame oil

bacon fat for cooking, extra virgin olive oil for not-cooking.

general question: when I'm cooking with sunflower or canola oil as you do, when im frying something or cooking a steak I'm afraid to heat my cast iron with said oils above my gas ovens 5-6 range, should i be afraid to push it to high or no?

I use EVOO for basically everything

>deep frying in butter

KEK!

>ever eating anything deep fried

KEK!

skinnyfat loser detected

Not an expert, but why be afraid?
I think some certatain virgin oil dont bode well with high temps.
Otherwise, heat it up.

that's not how 'bode well' is used

Glad to be taught by an expert. English/americanish isn't my motherlanguage, as you guessed.

>not using olive oil for everything

That's what I do but I should switch to butter

Went through a 1L bottle of olive oil in ~20 days

Rapeseed oil

>Rapeseed
>rape
>seed

jokes aside i dont think i have ever seen this shit outside of sweden

EV olive oil for cold food.
Rice bran oil for frying. Might switch to something else if it has an even higher smoking point, is better value, or tastes/smells better. Rice bran oil is very plain.

Olive oil

it makes for a pretty field too... not that anyone asked

It's all over my country (FR), good oil for cooking too

Also used to use it. Bongistan.

well thanks for clear that up

its grade A oil for baking/frying imo, best flavour

>mfw seal oil

i dont want it to flame up and burn my house down

A mixture of olive oil and butter is delicious, but doesn't stand up to hight temps. For those I prefer rapeseed oil.

Your beautiful neighbour to the south also use it (dk)

It depends.. for deep frying I like peanut or canola oil, for high temp pan frying I like coconut oil or lard, for sauteing I like olive oil.

I substitute coconut oil for shortening when greasing pans and almost always use butter when baking even if a recipe calls for shortening or vegetable oil.

How does peanut compare to canola for taste?

Also some coconut oil can have a smoking point as low as extra virgin olive oil.

IMO peanut oil tastes better with meats and I really only use canola oil for frying fish. Deep frying beef/pork/chicken with canola gives a bit of an odd, almost fishy flavor.

>Also some coconut oil can have a smoking point as low as extra virgin olive oil.

Yes, I always make sure to check the label and buy the variety that says it's suitable for high temp cooking.

Now I'd certainly like to try it. Thank you.

cooking high heat/asian food: sunflower (I'd get safflower if it wasn't rare as fuck)
italian: EVOO (yes, you can fry onions and garlic in extra virgin, it's not only for salads)
and sesame for finishing on asian food as well

>Cooking a steak in oil

kys

>Not using 1L of olive oil every 20 days

op here, I use butter, gave a bad exaple, no u faggot

I usually use seaweed oil made from seaweed in Kattegat desu

eggs: butter
red meat: vegetable oil blend, cheaper the better
white meat/seafood: canola oil
glassing hipsters in the face: coconut oil jar
salads/dressings: extra virgin
mayonaisse: soybean oil

You sure showed me.

Any oil is processed food. I try to cut out all processed foods as much as possible. Even "healthy" olive oil is processed. It shouldn't be in your body. You want olive oil? Eat fucking olives.

>le processed food are ebil meme
you are cancer, cooking is processing food moron
what you want is to eat normal food made with real ingredients, instead shit produced in a factory and pumped with a million different salts and colours while skimping on substance to meet the bottom dollar

unless you are one of those raw food nutjobs in which case why the fuck are you on Veeky Forums

>you are cancer, cooking is processing food moron
it's funny because you're the retard who fell for the bump-bait. user was obviously being facetiously sarcastic.

enjoy this free bump, op.

It's in the US too. We just call it canola oil.

nope. canola is a genetic mutation of rapeseed. it's not rapeseed. look it up.

an apple is not a pear
a lemon is not a lime
your post is not vip quality...

Your mom is a slut though

Rice bran desu

Those are both cheap shit oils mainly used for fast food and processed garbage.

I think it really depends on the situation.
-Breakfast is usually butter for me (eggs, pancakes, french toast etc)
-I cook burgers in a little rendered beef fat
-I do most of my high temp cooking in avocado oil, because of its superior smoke point and neutral flavor
-I use various types of sesame oil for different wok dishes, in addition to avocado oil
-I use different grades of olive oil, sometimes mixed with butter, for finishing pastas, as well as for making specialties like spanish tortilla, which requires a lot of evoo
-On special occasions, I like to use rendered bacon fat to cook certain vegetable dishes, like brussel sprout hashes, greens et al.
-I use canola oil for the occasional fried dish (chicken, french fries etc)

>Superior NW-European food
Butter

>Everything S-European
Extra vergine olive oil

>Salads and other cold foods
Le epic meme olive oil

>Deep frying
Lard

>Dutch East-Indies food (rijsttafel)
Peanut oil or sunflower oil

>Popcorn
Sunflower oil

>Oliebollen (deep fried)
Lard or sunflower oil (sometimes I use sunflower because people nag about lard)

>Mayonnaise
Slaolie (a Dutch oil mixture, mostly sunflower and soy, I believe)

I love oil and fat

All the oils in my kitchen right now:
Canola oil as a general utility cooking oil

Peanut oil for frying, especially deep frying

Olive oil for things where the oil is a part of the dish and for dipping

Filtered bacon grease just because I save it for some reason

Flax seed oil for seasoning my cast irons

Mineral oil for cutting boards, wood handles, and carbon steel knives

Sometimes I use butter for oil purposes too

I use olive oil for literally everything except eggs which are only acceptable with butter

Hot dishes:
>>grapeseed oil, however it's not always sold where I live, so I use sunflower oil or rapeseed oil instead.
>>Lurpak butter.

Cold dishes:
>>Olive oil that doesn't taste of worms and insects during the process.
>>Grapeseed oil.

Special snowflake middleeastern dishes:
>>Sesameseed oil.
>>Grapeseed oil.
>>Lurpak butter.

That's canola oil.

What's the difference between vegetable oil and canola oil, other than the name and what it's made out of? They both have the same smoke point and no taste, they're right next to each other in the grocery store and cost the same amount, why would I want to use one instead of the other? Should I just pick randomly based on what's closest to me and more convenient to grab? Is one better than the other for certain things?

Avocado oil.

i bought this chili infused oil at the gook store its great for stir fry

i reach for grapeseed oil almost exclusively. when i want something more flavorful, i just use extra virgin olive oil.

Vegetable oil could be any number of things--corn, soybean, canola, etc--or even a blend. It's smoke point and taste would vary depending on exactly what was in it. (read the label).

Canola oil is a specific thing. Personally, I don't like bit because I find that it tastes bad. Canola oil is a special kind of rapeseed oil. Rapeseed oil is not used for cooking very often because it contains Eucric acid, which tastes like ass. "Canola" is a specially bred version of rapeseed which is lower in Eucric acid. That's where the name comes from: CANada Oil Low Acid. The problem is that while it might be "low" in Eucric acid, it still contains some. And that tastes bad.