On average do people graduate on time?

We all know University is a fucking shithole in terms of education standards and information presentation/delivery, its a business construct not a learning environment blah blah blah etc.

Do people usually graduate on time? Its a fucking pain in the ass walking through this pile of hot coal known as University, feels like absolute dogshit subjecting myself to this ridiculous scam, yet its essential to get

>Muh degree
>Muh employability

And CS major here.

Sigh it just feels like a fucking chore to give a shit and play by their rules, I love the subject itself but when you put University in to the equation it ruins my passion.

tldr: How to put up with Universities bullshit

University is just a sure path to mediocrity.

Those who do big things rarely depend on it. So if you plan on doing big things skip the schooling and employment track. This is a self-sorting system. People that are going to make it without schooling usually see through the system and have a plan to bypass it.

if you don't have a plan to get what you want yet you might as well stick to the program and do the chores necessary to gain employment. It's less risky than striking out on your own, that's a fact.

first post worst post

>If just bear throuhh uni and get a degree surely I'll find employment!

Why is our generation so fucking retarded?

>anime
>cs

what a surprise

>Less risky
This is literally the only reason why im in University, motivation out of fear. I'd obviously leave if I was confident and sure about how to find my own leeway but then again, who is at this age? Sigh im just stuck in an endless cycle

Getting a degree generally does find employment, albeit a very standard one, not sure what so retarded about that, are you even in University?

Im in CS and I like anime, and this is somehow a negative connotation? Please explain im not up to date with the latest lingo

>I'd obviously leave if I was confident and sure about how to find my own leeway
striking out on your own is never a sure thing.

it's a risk you become more willing to take as you get older and have more experience and thus confidence.

in which case Uni is an excellent way to get a head start on that experience and employment only adds to that.

but make no mistake, employees don't get rich. Upper middle class if you're wise and lucky, but never wealthy.

Wealth comes from ownership, and that's always a risk.

Ive always had a long term interest in finance (particularly equity stocks) but I am by no means experienced, i'd like to try putting my own money on the line and see how that turns out, but the thing is apparently after University if theres a large gap (as small as one year apparently) between graduation and your job application thats deemed suspicious and undesirable by employers and they ask you such questions as "Why have you had such a long term of unemployment". This sorta forces me to apply straight away and get a few years of job experience before I try anything on my own that I'd like to do, I guess this alludes to the "I had dreams when I was younger too" path where people lose their interest in life, become jaded and never do the things they actually liked to try when they were younger just to be 'safe' and guarantee their financial stability.

I guess the problem stems from people taking life too seriously - that its some sort of hi-score game where you *shouldnt* fuck up and do anything unorthodox else you'll be rejected by the commercial world.

Idk I just kind of vomited my ideas, any thoughts? Im clueless about life, nothing seems logically game winning and makes success seem like luck

>Ive always had a long term interest in finance (particularly equity stocks)
ultimately that's still giving your ownership to someone else to manage.

which is fine in its own way but probably not a great way to become wealthy either. You're assuming all the risk and taking none of the responsibility for success...

when I speak of ownership I don't mean buying into someone else's brilliant scheme to take your money and maybe pay it back. Ownership is investing your money into your own plans.

Buying stock is just one step above employment, you're still betting on someone else's horse.

>that its some sort of hi-score game where you *shouldnt* fuck up and do anything unorthodox else you'll be rejected by the commercial world.
also you'll learn that fucking up is a normal part of success.

nobody wins all the time. Winners learn from their mistakes and move on. That's all. Don't be afraid to fail, it can only be so bad.

Are you even at a good University tho?

>Still not ownership
Unfortunately thats true, I've thought about a business model but I think thats something that comes with experience in the industry, I don't have the first clue about what service to provide, and how to market it, not to mention if you start your own business and things go south it can REALLY hurt your future (potentially declare personal bankruptcy and I guess youre fucked for the rest of your life), it seems like a really tough decision to make, I don't even know the startup capital too.

In terms of fucking up, how big is not graduating on time? (one extra semester) I guess this isnt too bad in the grand scheme of things but it does feel sorta (very) bad

University of Auckland (New Zealand)
Its the best in the country but its garbage (we don't have many Universities anyway). Aren't Universities just ranked by # of publications anyway? It has nothing to do with education and KNAAledge

>(potentially declare personal bankruptcy and I guess youre fucked for the rest of your life),
I own a business that grosses about a million a year. I am essentially retired and have been since I was 32.
I have declared bankruptcy twice in my life, as is pretty average for a business owner. My life isn't ruined, I undoubtedly have a better credit score than you and I can borrow millions if I feel like it. Don't underestimate the value of a good cash flow.

but yes, experience is what gives you direction. Watch for opportunities, you'll start to see them everywhere.

>how big is not graduating on time?
depends on your career path, but over a period of years or decades it doesn't matter at all. It might be a short-term setback though.

>It has nothing to do with education and KNAAledge
Yeah because Oxford clearly just outranks some random polytechnic solely due to its larger number of publications

If you've found a better way to let your employer know how qualified you are for a specific job, please enlighten me

+ you learn a lot of useful things at University, even if you don't believe they are useful
If you can't see the use of things you learn, you're probably too retarded to use them in the first place

This also depends on the quality of your university, but is generally true if you don't go to a shit one

>+ you learn a lot of useful things at University, even if you don't believe they are useful
the biggest thing an employer will probably look for is that you can finish what you started. That's the main thing a degree says.

any other accomplishments stand on their own merits.

>Gross 1 million
What type of advice can you give to an aspiring entrepreneur? I don't have anyone successful around me and am middle classed so I don't have a single clue who to ask for for advice and I unironically go on Veeky Forums looking for finance advice. I've ordered some books to hopefully get me started (Intelligent investor, One up on Wallstreet, Security Analysis, The little book that beats the market etc) youve probably heard of them.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of service do you provide? How did you get started? Were you already well off to begin with? Did your parents teach you "the ways"?

Well its the main determining factor, that and how big the faculties actually are I suppose. . .

I see your point and I dont disagree, the thing is I know how these things are used in real life but not to the extent in practicality, butt fuck it feels so bad just chasing after a piece of paper worth 30k, it gives me physical pain letting myself being conned because the system is set out this way.

Yes, that you are able to learn new things

How are you going to prove that without going to a university
People that don't want to go to a university because it's a 'waste of time' are just to retarded to even go to a university

>Well its the main determining factor, that and how big the faculties actually are I suppose. . .
How can you be this delusional?

I don't go to a university in America, so I don't feel the pain of paying fuck tons of money

>what type of service do you provide?
I'm an environmental contractor for industry and mining. I provide janitorial services in hazardous waste areas and engineered solutions to polluted waters and soils.
>How did you get started?
I worked in mining for several years and found a contractor that wanted to sell their small business. I bought it by working for free for a year and she taught me what I needed to know to run the biz. I had a background in management so I just grew the business like I've grown other people's businesses before.
>Were you already well off to begin with?
no, I was dirt poor when I started on this journey. My most recent bankruptcy was 2 years into owning my business. It's normal to fail financially when you start up.
>Did your parents teach you "the ways"?
Not at all, my parents are morons.

My only advice is don't worry about what society thinks. If your fucking janitor is making more money than you, you want to be the janitor. Seriously. Money talks, bullshit walks. Often trades you would have no idea about are making more money than people with degrees. Welders and window washers and landscapers and electricians are making six figures while people that went to college for six years are flipping burgers. Don't buy the bullshit. Talk to people. Find out what they're doing. There are opportunities all over.

"I suppose. . ."
Cant you tell im rather uncertain about this from my sentence? From what I've gathered (and quoted by "Lecturers" themselves) their time is mostly spent doing things unrelated to lecturing and course related materials, they are all doing research in their offices generating publication money for the University only so it can get subsidized by the jewish government even more... I mean if you really think Universities are an educational institution more than a business, please explain to me in what way they are. Then again it might just be New Zealand and our Universities but I doubt that, it seems rather established that a "lecturers" goal is to generate research money, not focus on teaching the kids

Final question, do you think anyone is capable of running a business? If you went to University, were you some sort of scholar? In terms of intelligence are you average? above average?

Id like to believe the thought that hard work and persistence 100% guarantees you inevitable success, but life is unfair and some people may not intrinsically be able to achieve X amount of money in their lifetime (aka naturally born unintelligent) Im unsure if I even have the potential for anything, whether im wasting my time or just learn to accept mediocrity even though it may be quite sad.

Thanks for all the replies up to now user. Need more people like you on Veeky Forums

>do you think anyone is capable of running a business?
no. sorry. It takes a certain sort of greedy and independent psychopath to do it right.
>If you went to University, were you some sort of scholar?
I did a BS geology and MS comparative vertebrate anatomy.
>In terms of intelligence are you average? above average?
I scored 155 on some damn IQ test in the 5th grade and a 99 on the ASVAB (six times) when I joined the Marines.
If you put 1000 people in a room I will likely have the highest IQ there.

IQ means exactly shit to financial success though. Most of the Trumps of the world aren't that bright.

>Need more people like you on Veeky Forums
I avoid Veeky Forums precisely because of the lack of insight and experience there.

>Do people usually graduate on time?

Here in germany, not at all.
I talked just yesterday to some guy research assistant and lecturer at my University and asked he if he knows any statistics regarding our standard period of study since I haven't found it myself.

I was curious since I'm not done yet and most of my peers are not done either. In the end he told just about ~6% in our department is graduating on time. If I look at the people who started with me and have finished now it seems legit.

So, atleast in germany people tend to need longer to complete their studies.

>Sigh it just feels like a fucking chore to give a shit and play by their rules,
People always say shit like this. What is it supposed to mean?

This reads like a copy pasta.