Döppekooche thread

Döppekuchen potato flan. An Eifel speciality.

germany.travel/en/towns-cities-culture/traditions-and-customs/food-and-drink/doeppekuchen-potato-flan.html

I've recently made one and took some pictures. I'm from germany (Eifel area in Rhineland-Palatinate which is famous for its local cuisine Döppekooche)

It's famous because it is a "Arme_Leute_essen" (english: poorfag meal) and we traditionally eat it at St. Martin'S Day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin's_Day
scroll down to germany if you want to know more, it's always good to know some cultural background and traditions.

So let's start...

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217504/Are-old-spoon-Woman-asked-ID-buying-teaspoons-Tesco.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll use the metric system because I'm familiar with it, all temperatures are in °C

All we need to make one is:

tools:
-Roaster
-Grater
-knife
That's the basic stuff you'll need

ingredients
-Potatoes (4 to 6 kg, depends on how big your roaster is)
-Onions (about 2 kg. depends on your taste)
-smoked pork belly (about 0,5 kg)
-Mettwurst sausages (about 1 kg)
-Bacon (You could also replace the whole meat with it)
-some eggs (as much as you want, I didn't use them this time)
-black pepper, white pepper and grated nutmeg
-bread crumbs (I used toast which I've dried in the oven because I don't got something better)
-milk (enough to soften the bread crumbs)
-apple puree (only if you like it, it's serverd together with the finished dish)

as a german/slav this thread has my interest. potato and pork is life.

forget the salt...
Here a closer look at the meat.

Damn, you could feed a village with that amount.
Go for it ..

My roaster.
protip: Always buy the biggest you could get (And fits into your oven)

It was enough for 2 people for 3 days...

So let's start with the meat.
Don't eat to much of it while you cut it, that's the hardest part.

now the smoaked pork belly, I love this stuff.

Damn, I love it!

Now let's peel the potatoes. Could take some while.

protip: Let your wife do it :>

Peel some onions....

Let's add some paper kitchen towel to the tools list.

There's a saying in germany

"Messer, Gabel, Schere, Licht sind für kleine Kinder nicht."

english: Knifes, forks, scissors and fire are not made for small kids

Husband to lazy to join in, or is he watching fussball?

I'm the husband, I have peeled the onions while she peeled the potatoes ;)

Weird britain has a similar saying that goes "Knives, forks, scissors, fire, bicycle wheels, sticks, and glass are not allowed for adults"

Never hit a plastic cutting board with a hardened blade. Even if the wife is pissed (to much potatoes?^^)

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217504/Are-old-spoon-Woman-asked-ID-buying-teaspoons-Tesco.html

Wife? Being pissed? Nooo ..

No such thing as too much potatoes.

Because of my stupid injury there's some more work for the wife now. We made a break of 9 hours after my injury because we need to go to the hospital and it was already late.

happens sometimes. Long story short: we both were tired and hungry ^^

Never noticed my kitchen is upside-down...

Time to fill the roaster, the bread crumbs are already in and will soon drown in a wet mass of grated onions and potatoes...

All filled up.

We decided to add some more onions because we got some space left.

Time to add the spices...

Mix it...

Salz und pfeffer? Maybe some nutmeg or cumin.

Add some more spice if necessary, but don't add to much (especially salt). You could always add more afterwards!

Salt, pepper and nutmeg are essential, but feel free to add some more spices. Every family got their own receipe, so feel free to add everything you want.

Finally we add some bacon, just make sure it's covered with potatoes/onions or you it will become burned bacon-dust.

Into the oven it goes...

it took about 4 hours @ 200°C.

If you want some kind of "Baumkuchen style", just push the crust into the roaster till it's covered wit some unburnt mass. You can repeat that till you think it's enough. I did it just once after 3 hours. (remember: woman usually don't like burnt stuff :>)

finished!

You don't even need to store it in the fridge and can eat it for about 3 days, if it will last that long... I usually reheat it in the microwave oven for about 2 to 3 minutes @ 750w

My hand 3 days after my little Döppekooche injury.

My hand 7 days after + timestamp.
This will be my personal Veeky Forums scar :>

Looks tasty (food, not scar)

what a waste of food it looks like cat vomit

Waste? We have eaten that stuff for 3 days. I always cook as much as I can, that makes it cheaper and you got more time for other things.

It also doesn't need to look good. It's food for traditional food for poor people.

fuck man, hope that heals well. at least you will have a kinda cool scar

Will definitely eat. Looks good.

Thanks. This scar will remind me of my first thread here (also the knife)^^ It was a deep cut but, it hasn't hurt that much (thanks adrenaline). I tell you, a needle right into an open wound on your hand hurts very much, they pushed the needle 3 times in.

that does not sound fun, damn

Isn't this basically just hot dish?

Hot dish doesn't seem to be very common outside the USA. I've never heard of it, but for what I've seen, it seems to be a big difference. Wikipedia for example says it contains ground beef, green beans, corn and canned soup. I wouldn't even think about putting this stuff into my Döppekooche :>

Are there any other countries with similar dishes like Döppekooche? Maybe east Europe?

>an argument
>we both were tired and hungry
I can relate to that

Seems good, I will try to do it.

Danke OP.

Just make sure to take some pictures

>Kleine
>Nicht
Isn't that a double negative?
Not food related, but I am learning german and I want to know what is going on here

Looks delicious, would eat/10.

(Im Saarland gibts eine ähnliche Spezialität namens Dibbelabbes, kannst du ja auch mal probieren.)

Ist laut Wikipedia nur ein anderer Name. Hier wird der auch in jedem Dorf anders genannt, aber danke für den Tipp.

Good question, but I'm not that good with that grammatical stuff, that makes it hard to explain.

"Kleine" is a adjective which means "small"
he is "small" = Er ist "klein"
The "small" kids = Die "kleinen" Kinder

So the only negative word in this sentence "nicht", which simply means not.

As a native speaker I don't even think about this stuff, but I know how hard it is compared to, for example the english language.

What's the difference between bacon and smoked pork belly in this case?

You’ve got it confused with “keine Kinder”.

Bacon is cured. Smoked pork belly is not.cured.

Smoked pork belly has some bone fragments and skin, but it's also a cheaper and tastes better (don't know if other brands probably taste different) and you could also recycle the skin and bone fragments to spice up some soup or other cuisine.

kleine=small
keine=none