What do you think, is the fabric of the Universe continuous or discrete?

What do you think, is the fabric of the Universe continuous or discrete?

Either.

is

discrete

Insufficient data at this time

yes

no

It's infinite

Discrete. The increment changes though based on something

maybe

continuous

Can you repeat the question?

>discrete
Obviously.

you're not the boss of me

What's thay in the pic? Is it an electric dipole? Nice simulation

If it where a lattice then the speed of light would change based on how closely it followed the edges. So it's continues but everything in it has limited resolving power and whatnot.

discrete

all the evidence points to it or at least not against it, plus i really don't see any reason for anything to be continuous

Discrete
>loop quantum gravity

There is no such thing as "the universe"

continuous
I doubt there will be an actual "smallest" constituent of the universe.(as in; we'll keep finding 'small'er and 'small'er things) You might as well look for the largest and compare it to our selves. (don't though.. it's not as useful)

has to be continuous. How would you even measure it if it were discrete?

it has to be discrete, otherwise you run into a glaring "turtles on top of turtles on top of turtles" issue

Discrete and continuous describe numbers, and there is no reason to believe that numbers really exist. The continuum is a formalization.

>continuous
>infinite sets
>real numbers

It probably looks continuous from our perspective, but I think that it's discrete. I think there is an absolute smallest unit of length to construct the universe. However, because of the particle/wave duality of matter, I think that the smallest unit might present in such a way that you could argue continuous. That's based on basically nothing scientific, just speculation.

>because of the particle/wave duality of matter
That duality is just a meme. Sound is wave, but it's a air paritcles at the same time.

> Sound is wave, but it's a air paritcles at the same time.
that's not a good example.
each electron is a wave, it's not a wave of electrons

god i hope you're just some stoner
if not, kill yourself

We can't measure "a wave". Wave is a math object: a function. We can measure some particle values and create a wave based on that measurment.

I'd have to say continuous. Certain drops in a wave, zero point energy, but the Wave Itself Is all.

The energy moves as a wave throughout particle arrangements. Without wave-like energy, seriously dude there're waves

Hit a fucking steel fence.

both

See that, bro, that's the 'energy.'

Sorry for being a dick, but

how old are you?
next you'll tell me of the 4 elements

continuous
there is no such thing as empty space
that would mean interactions between matter is impossible
even empty is 'something'. We just have yet to define it. This should be obvious.

i think its continuous, but that is like my subjecive opinion based on merely hypothesis i made because of the question... i mean not sure

>We just have yet to define it.
Aether was defined centuries ago

discrete

Not enough data, you can't know nothing

On principle I think discrete, but fuck knows how you'd prove it

not comprehensively enough.

It's discrete. You barely notice it.

Not an argument

The Planck length makes it discrete.

explain

He's wrong

This. He fell for a meme-understanding of planck length.

continuous, no doubt..

Why? cuz infinity..

Like a magnetic field, no matter how small the space is you are observing there will always be an electric field vetor

FOAMY
O
A
M
Y

It's discrete.

Q U A N T I Z E D

Can't be. C has to be the same speed in every conceivable direction. There isn't a discrete shape that can accommodate this.

Well now if its not continuous you cant really call it fabric now can you

When will this meme die?

The Planck length is literally just the number you get when you bang a bunch of physical constants together to get units of length. It just happens to be hella small and within an order of magnitude or two of the length scales where measurement would stop working and where quantum gravity would come into play.

There's no indication that the Planck Length itself has any physical significance.

>where measurement would stop working
>no indication that the Planck Length itself has any physical significance
Amazing what "no significance" can mean.

Read again

It happens to be within one or two orders of magnitude of the length scale where measurement would stop working. That means it's about a factor of ten out from the actual value at best. Being kind of close to a significant value doesn't make it a significant value.

Spacetime doesn't exist.