Veeky Forums Trigger Stories

Time to share experiences that absolutely triggered us... that are related to Veeky Forums.

This is fresh out of the oven niggers, literally just happened

>Went to the doctor to get a vaccine
>Guy who was my pediatrician
>He's known me since my first days
>Asks me what I am studying in university
>I reply 'Bachelors in Mathematics'
>some random talk about how my grades are doing. I tell him I am top of every class
>Really? You must be a genius. Why aren't you studying something harder?
>I get absolutely triggered but just let out a fake laugh and say nothing.
>Something like medicine!
>Get PTSD flashbacks to all of the times I've shat on pre-meds in here. Thinking to myself it this nigga is serious

I luckily got out of there alive. How do people get the impression that mathematics is easy? Is it because he is a doctor and has been living in a daily circle jerk of doctors being intellectually superior?

If you ask me we should enhance pre-university mathematics classes. Teach the fucking kids how to count with the set theoretical construction of the natural numbers. Make mathematics literally impossible to pass in high school so that no one ever dares to call mathematics easy ever again.

Fuck am I mad.

you really do seem mad.

that being said, and all your irrational bullshit aside, your circle jerk assumption is spot on. med schoolers are amongst the most horrific of assholes, together with law schoolers. they both think they have the monopoly on difficult studies when they are really just learning shit others have discovered by heart whilst doing a woodwork apprenticeship on humans.

medicine is not science. it's a laboratory for science.

>after astonomy class
>be talking to girl
>"so what did you learn today user?"
>"just cosmology stuff"
>"Oh my girlfriend went to school for that!"
>"really"
>"yeah she's, like, the best hair stylest I know now"

Somebody please kill my face

>Physiology student specializing in neuroscience
>Compulsory psychology courses
>Lecturer supports Freudian psychoanalysis and new age crap
>He says 'I don't think our behavior is caused by just neurons puking out chemicals. How would you feel if you were just a pile of chemicals?'
>Continues to talk shit about subconsciousness, motivation and desires
>Dismisses progresses in cognitive research
>Talks about how there is no objective reality
>I've lost my faith in this neuroscience programme
>Searching for other programmes at the moment

>How would you feel

Absolutely disgusting. Isn't he supposed to be a SCIENCE professor?

Is there no system in place to report obvious bullshit?

If you can record him saying anything of that nature then you should be able to show to the academic authorities at the university and at the very least have him lose any chance at tenure, ever.

If I had the chance to fuck over a psychologist I would do it without thinking it twice.

>quirky Asian professor
>teaching Molecular Biology I
>says he doesn't believe in evolution
>okay, i can deal with this, it's one semester and i'm not afraid of different ideas
>keeps making the class about him and how interesting it is that he doesn't believe in evolution despite having a biochem master's
>keeps bringing up his lack of belief in evolution every class and how weird it is that an atheist biology professor doesn't believe in evolution
>keeps advertising that he will eventually tell us why he doesn't believe in evolution some day
>the day finally comes, it's time to find out why quirky asian professor doesn't believe in evolution!
>it hass something to do with the rate of transitional versus transversional mutations in the genome
>something something epigenetics
>he has a strong Chinese accent and i never fully understood why he doesn't believe in evolution
>he advertises an elective class he's teaching next semester where he'll go more into detail about why he doesn't believe in evolution
>i never took his other class, and it still fucking bothers me to this day

>How would you feel if you were just a pile of chemicals?

>psychology still thinks they're in any way a science

what
why is a lecturer with only a master's allowed to even speak about his crank ideas?

>Say I am a bio major
>"Hey user, if evolution is real, how come the DNA is so perfect ? Can't be the fruit of randomness !"
Every fucking single time.

i don't know, it's not a terrible university, i'm pretty sure he does believe in evolution and he was just fucking with us

>implying this happened

>in engineering
>in material science class
>professor is an engineer
>keeps talking shit about scientists
>artificial elements art real
>'lol, scientists just make an atom in a lab then make up the properties, would you call that a material!?'
>'scintists just sit in their labs all day, and think up things with no value tot he world'
>keeps talking shit about how scientists dont know anything about the real world
>'how do you know electrons exists? its just a model that explains some of the properties of material, its just a theory'
>every time class agrees and laughs with him
>Feel ashamed to be an engineer

other one
>in philosophy of science class
>whole class is about islam and christianity
>'lol, scientists think there is no god, but they cant even explain the soul'
>learn how the bible correctly predicts the age of the universe before science even know it if you take 1 day = 1000 years or some shit
>learn how islam knew all these things scince only learned about later
>reductionism is wrong
>'you cant explain life using only chemistry'
>'you cant explain religion and history using only biology'
>have to learn some shitty theory of everything thats anti-reductionism that someone at our ubiversaty thought up, that I could find literally nothing else about on the internet

my university is kind of shit

im going to loop for some pics of that theory now.

If you're top of all your classes, you honestly aren't doing something hard enough. You should've gone to a better school.

I'm top of my classes in MechE at UC Berkeley.
There really isn't that much more I can do to make it harder, so I reject your premise.

>If you're top of all your classes, you honestly aren't doing something hard enough.

But user, there must always be someone that is at the top, no matter what. Even at Harvard there is one guy who is the top of his classes. Doesn't mean his university is bad.

>hard enough.
This will come off as bragging but I don't care. In all the tests we've taken so far I got only As while the second best grade was always a C. Literally everyone is getting Cs, Ds and Fs except for me. Call it the 'grade gap'.

For so many people (small university, there are 9 students in freshman mathematics, not counting me) to be getting absolutely rek'd this cannot be an easy major or an easy university.

>You should've gone to a better school.

Maybe but I didn't want to travel and this is literally the only university in the entire country that even has mathematics as a full major.

What are you doing that the other students aren't in order to get the top grades

I hope you aren't paying very much for this 'education'.

I had a fully paid scholarship.

Now im studying a second degree and an even more shit university!

Seriously never trust someone with a degree from south Africa. Our universities are shit.

>not a terrible university
>lecturers without PhD
what

also, this second degree is costing me only $1200 a year, so i cant really complain about this one.

The reason is very simple and even the professors have stated this. Everyone is absolutely shit at doing proofs and this hurts them because every test is at least 50% proofs.

I am good at writing proofs, at least at this level, and then the computation problems are always trivial if you understand the theorems and definitions.

High school does a shitty job of preparing mathematicians so mostly every freshman math major can differentiate any function but barely any of them can prove that if F is an arbitrary function that is differentiable all over the real numbers then if there is no point where dF/dx equals to 0 then F has at most one real root.

>this cannot be an easy major or an easy university.
Well, what university is it?

How did you get good at writing proofs. Did you learn on your own or took specific classes

why didn't you say astronomy instead

Really small country and even smaller university, wouldn't want to dox myself.

I guess you can judge how good or how bad the mathematics program is.

This is my first semester. In the summer I read a book on differential and integral calculations with proofs, a book literally about proofs, and a book of linear algebra full of proofs.

However, by this time our classes have already taught us all the methods to proof stuff so my knowledge is nothing special compared to the rest at this level. I just apply it better.

>calculations
fucking hell, meant calculus. topkek

>top of my mechE classes at UC Berkeley
So you're the best cock sucker in liberal town. Congrats

Later you'll realize that your illusion of intellectual superiority is worth nothing in real life. I'm a math graduate myself and I had to accept that nobody cares about me being "smart".

>>'you cant explain life using only chemistry'
>>'you cant explain religion and history using only biology'
He's right, you know. Reductionism is cancer and only perpetuated by pseudo-intellectual non-academics. Learn to accept intellectual division of labor. For different fields we need different layers of abstraction in order to make useful models.

>every test is at least 50% proofs.
So you're still in high school? In university math every exam is supposed to be 100% proofs.

Probably because he didn't want to talk about the horoscope.

>chem major
so can you make meth?

delete this

are you from panama

>U de panama

kek

Also
>So why do you study Astrology?

Oh boy I sure hope it doesn't happen to me (in case I apply and get accepted). Currently very interested in bio/psy (neuro) degree. Trying to self study.

>barely any of them can prove that if F is an arbitrary function that is differentiable all over the real numbers then if there is no point where dF/dx equals to 0 then F has at most one real root.
If the university has taught the language and notation required to write formal proofs then that is trivial stuff. Is this an actual example or just something you pulled out of your ass?

>what do you study?
math and engineering.
>wow! you must be really smart!
i don't know about that...
>you should meet my daughter, she would love taking to you. she loves science and stuff.
oh, uh...
>and she's single!
uh

>triggered

How the fuck does an engineer not believe electrons exist. That's like a fucking astrophysicist believing the earth is flat or a biologist believing emus are just kiwi's with a giant gene.

Does someone actually believe pic related?

Ok, first math allows you to make a shitton of money, but only if you work in applied/finance fields. But if you really want to go into research, you need alot of endurance and passion for it, since you're not going to make that much money.

dude even at fucking MIT not every freshman lecturer has his doctorate, lots are just post-grad randoms trying to get published

damn sounds like a quack philosophy of science class.

In my SciPhil class we actually discussed the logical arguments behind what constitutes as science, and what does not. Finally touching on the current conjecture of demarcation. Final paper was to generate our own argument for demarcation, or to defend an already published one.

Did a philosopher or a scientist teach that class?

I never get as angry/frustrated as when i hear stories of stupid people being ungrateful and greedy. Gf (Med. student) told me about:
>Woman getting hit by car
>concussion and an open wound on her leg
>gets stiched up and send home
>sues the hospital that saved her life because she's a jehovas witness and they gave her blood transfusion without her approval (which was hard to get when she's unconcious)

there are tons of stories like that. I would dread having to tell people what's healthy for them and what they should do only for them to pull out their phone and show me some article about how bad my suggestions are written by some self proclaimed guru like deepak chopra.
Fuck, i'm angry right now!

an engineer

I later did another phil of sci and that was an actual class.

>Have learng roup for math class
>girl is asking me in my group what rational numbers are again and if sqr2 is in it
>I don't blame her; she failed the class once and I was willing to help her out
>we are sitting in the library in some group room
>some guys comes in; we've never seen him before
>asks us if he was allowed to sit with us in there because it was everywhere crowded
>said yes, it was alright
>Well, story continues
>I told her that square root of 2 isn't in the rational numbers; it's in the irrational numbers and that the rational numbers are a subset of irrational ones
>did some venn-diagramm for her and explained why it's not in it
>suddenly this guy on the other table is literally shouting "Square root of 2 is in the rational number. You are lying."
>"Pardon?"
>"Well, you're lying. It's in the rational numbers."
>showed him the Venn-diagram, even wrote a proof
>guy shouts up, puts his headphones on and was quiet the entire time
>this guy was studying EE in 2th year

Welp.

It's okay to disagree with me but don't just shout in your opinion without reason and be a dick about it.
I suppose he tried to show off to the girl, poor attempt of trolling or whatever.

>"Hey user what are you studying"
CS and Math
>"You must be a genius! So I have this really cool app idea; can you make it for me?"

>read Maths
>"Oh user, you're going to become a teacher?"

>emus are just kiwi's with a giant gene
ahaha...ha.. ha.. hmmm...
..but wait...
...what if..
....yes, yes...yes!

brb. Have to test something

Holy fuck this! People annoy me to no end asking me to make apps for them.

>make this vague app!
Im a chemical engineer, and people even ask me this when they find out ive taken programming 1

i dont have a problem if its an actual idea, then maybe i can steal it, but its usually some vague shit

>jehovas witness
This religion deserves the darwin award

If a brick falls on your head, it's not the result of chemicals, behaviour it's not limited to your brain decisions or your body reactions, enviroment plays a big role in what happens to you, neuroscience isn't limited to chemical reactions, there's also electric reactions, with their own set of laws, that also determine behaviour.

We are not a pile of chemicals, we are more complicated than that.

>electric reactions

>not chemical reactions

Every fucking time

medicine is difficult, but really just a fuckload of memorization.

enjoy your powerpoint slide memorizing medfags.

This makes me cringe.

"Gender is a social construct."

Just remind yourself how sad it is that this is the only application of chemistry they can imagine.

This is why you should make a new compound that can kill the retard and tell them it's methamphetamine.

> something like medicine

Kek, that's pretty good. That said there are harder things (like some types of engineering).

My answer is always yes. Sophomore year in o-chem the mechanism for the nazi method for making methamphetamine (reductive amination of phenylacetone) was on the final for the first semester. Then again, I only minored in chemistry, but my focus was all on drug chemistry and neurochemistry.

kek

what year are you in? what are you studying? I am trying to self study real analysis, sounds fun but I don't have many resources other than some random online notes by random professors