Should I worry about this Veeky Forums?

Should I worry about this Veeky Forums?

I have a little fusion reactor I built. Powers my house. I intermittently get high random readings like this that disappear within minutes.

False alarms? I've checked the whole thing top to bottom with a real geiger counter and havent been able to find any leaks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1_XoZHhQck
io9.gizmodo.com/breakthrough-the-worlds-first-net-positive-nuclear-fu-1442537401
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Last one at the moment.

Anyone?

The fuck thats legal?

Also how did you build

Bullshit.
You don't have a fusion reactor.

Followed some plans for a fusor, lined the inside of the chamber with silicon and lead to reflect gamma/neutrons to make it self sustaining, and ran a radiator through it connected to a steam engine. Puts out 10kW for a tiny amount of deuterium.

Not rocket science, you can get plans with a 5 second search. Figured out the silicon/lead reflector myself.

For a start, that's a fission reactor, you moron.
Secondly, what do you fuel it with?

>for a tiny amount of deuterium

pics or it didn't happen

Sorry, I'm fucking blind

Its sealed but heres the exterior.

Also

>deuterium
>fission

k

How do you dispose of the waste ?

There is no waste. The engine just vents excess steam.

Only been running it for a week though, is the chamber going to need cleaning?

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

What are yall talking about? Literally just google fusor, dozens of videos and instructions how to make one.

I'm just not sure if I should worry about the phone saying theres radioactivity. GammaPix lite. Tried to ask the devs about false positives, they havent answered yet.

>no waste
>fission reactor
Yeah it's dead, 4/10.

It's deuterium fusion you moron. Bit hard to fission an element with one neutron in the nucleus.

Now that you mention it though, must be starting to fill up with helium. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet.

What's the point of containing the neutrons with the lining if they serve no purpose ?

They have energy. Them and the gamma energy was enough to make it self-sustaining.

How did you started the reaction ?

Turned it on? They start fusing in the magnetic field. Just takes more power to maintain than it puts out when most of it just gets lost in radiation.

I-Is that 10 kW hours??!?! In exchange for how much DT?!

no offense but if you built a (more or less) functioning reactor, wouldn't a proper Geiger Counter be a good idea? Using a smartphone for this kind of measurements seems very ... unusual. I wouldn't risk getting C and but some more plates around it.

Also how do you create the magnetic field? Are using a coil, if yes, how is it wound?

Also how much money does it save you approx?

again
>I've checked the whole thing top to bottom with a real geiger counter
overread this sorry... I wouldn't trust the app bro.

Connected a 50l bottle to it a week ago, maintaining pressure inside the fusor it's used 2 litres so far.

I have one, just got an app in case something goes wrong when I'm not paying attention to it.

The tank of DT cost me $400, and I'm using my solar meter to feed the excess power back into the grid. It's gonna make me a fair bit at this rate if it holds out. Havent done the numbers on how much yet.

>tfw its time to start space mining :D

>generate a self-sustaining fusion reaction
>still exist

How big is the chamber, and whats the gas pressure?

You do realize that in the (extremely unlikely) case you're not full of shit, you've just created a fucking atomic bomb? A self-sustaining reaction in a nuclear power plant is called prompt criticality and leads to an exponentially increasing chain reaction that causes a meltdown. They keep them at critical with graphite mediators so the reaction can't run away.

Unless I'm missing something, if you so much as breathe on that gas flow you and half your state are going up in an enormous mushroom cloud.

TURN IT OFF AND CALL SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK THEY'RE DOING.

You're in serious trouble, then. No neutron reflector can be more than 50% effective, and you've probably only designed your shielding around 2.5 MeV D-D neutrons anyway. Thing is, T will build up as a waste product of D-D reactions, and D-T reactions produce much higher energy 14 MeV neutrons. So your shielding is being degraded very rapidly into a mess of radioactive isotopes through neutron activation.

Dr Pavel, I...

It's only "self-sustaining" because he's capturing enough electrical power to keep the reaction going. Runaway fusion could be prevented easily with a fuse; the fuel density inside the reactor isn't enough for a boom anyway.

Yeah, if I turned the power off, the field would collapse and the fusion should stop.

Thanks. Gonna turn it off in that case. Would explain the spikes. Was a fun experiment though.

Yeah fucking right

We have those i built a fission reactor bait threads every 2 months.

Think its worth getting myself checked for radiation poisoning? Geiger's just showing background on me.

Turned it off without incident. Engine's stopped.

RIP OP's cells phospholipid bilayer.

Next you should try building a meme drive powered by this.

The shielding problem is basically one of the biggest problems in making fusion reactors practical. All the accessible low-energy reactions produce ridiculous levels of neutrons - 14 MeV is far more energetic than fission reactors produce (Even 1 MeV is considered a "fast" neutron, and less than half of fission neutrons meet even that), and they carry off 80% of the energy of D-T. So you need some way to absorb them, but no material yet invented can take that - and anything that absorbs it becomes extremely high-level nuclear waste. Fusion researchers are just kind of hoping they'll cross that bridge when they come to it.

Some really optimistic people are aiming for proton-boron, which produces no neutrons and would allow for direct electrical conversion, but it's *ridiculously* difficult compared to the saner reactions.

Absolutely. And be *extremely* careful about disposing of the reactor - if it's been soaking up 10 kilowatts of D-T fusion neutrons for a week, it will be severely embrittled and is likely high-level radioactive waste.

The whole thing? The lead lining should've .. but that would explain the leaking radiation. Oh shit.

Maybe this geiger counter is just defective. Wonder if I can sue the assholes who made it. I'm no nuclear scientist, just made this for fun.

Yeah im gonna go deal with this, ttyl

>powers my house

Sure.

when you are done giving cancer to the 4 next generations of your neighborhood can you explain the magnetic field you used?

Geiger counters don't detect neutrons, dumbass. They only detect ionizing radiation.

And how thick of a lead lining would this have been, exactly?

5mm lead w silicon

Alright, correction: Your giger counter is broken, your house is probably high-level radioactive waste, and you and your neighbors are already dead.

ITT: OP destroys North America.

>I'm no nuclear scientist, just made this for fun.

if this is real you dun goofed - go seek professional help immediately before you keep irradiating the whole neighborhood

somehow related
youtube.com/watch?v=P1_XoZHhQck

>be me
>my favorite activity is posting on anime image boards
>lurking with electricity from coal is so 2k14
>not using radioactive plasma fuel instead
>what am I a normie?
>google nuclear fusion How to?
>watch video
>unironicaly comment: Here hold my beer
>build a casual D-D reactor in my mancave
>make le epic homemade energy source thread
>apparently Hydrogen has another radioactive isotope with 2 neutrons
>who would have though?
>it has a half life of like 12 years
>its used in thermonuclear fusion weapons
>my mancave is now hazardous and so is everything in a 1 mile radius
>mfw

Why does military training in other countries always look like such a joke?

because it is

>5mm

>5mm
More like 5 million dead
Jesus fucking christ.

there's no way someone this unaware of what they are doing would possibly do this

also, Im not educated on fusion, so I just have a few questions. I thought fusion is this unobtainable thing that everyone and their mom in science is trying to do? how is deuterium making this all possible, and if some dude in his garage is capable of doing this, then shouldnt fusion reactors be all over ?

I have a fusor, and this is total bullshit. They are toys.

If this shit is real this is fucking hilarious

do you have a set of turbines in your basement or something? kek

OP here, posting from phone in hospital. They're holding me for observation and giving me radiation medication. Someone got sent to clean it up.

Noticed the phone took another measurement around when I was turning it off last night. Don't need anyone to explain this to me.

Feeling fine for now, but I know how it works. It's been a pleasure knowing yall.

Holy shit OP

Well that's one weekend project that you'll never forget. Hope you don't actually you know die

Fuck :(

Build a fusor, they said.
It'll be fun! they said.

I hope they sedate me once it gets bad. I dont wanna die like this.

>~4 Sv/hr

This has to be fake. Maximum permitted dose per year for radiation workers in the US is 50 mSv, they'd get that in seconds standing there.

Also taking a 4 Sv dose is usually fatal, if taken particularly quickly, I'm guessing an hour is sufficiently quickly. So if this is real... It's been fun.

It could be wrong. The geiger counter never showed a peep, just the phone app. The hospital won't tell me exactly how bad it is though so idk. Feel perfectly fine though.

1/10 lmfao
like it was straight from a script.

timestamp in hospital

>Geiger counter
If I remember rightly they're only sensitive to alpha radiation, and underestimate beta radiation and are pretty useless for gamma radiation.

>just the phone app
How does this app work?

Of course it's fake.

timestamp or gtfo

>if this is real
Good thing it's not, then. OP is claiming to be running his house off a nuclear fusion reactor, despite literally nobody else in the world ever coming close to building a fusion reactor that outputs more energy than it takes to run.

>that outputs more energy than it takes to run.
not OP but he never claimed that, the amount of deuterium he uses could power more than his home if used efficiently, for sure.

hm if this is all true I wish you luck, keep us updated please, for science.

>I have a little fusion reactor I built. >Powers my house
This implies it's the reactor powering his house, which would imply it's actually outputting more power than it requires as input. Otherwise he's just running his mains power through a reactor for no reason.

Because of the extra neutron, deuterium is easier to fuse than protium.
But is right. Fusors work well enough to demonstrate fusion, but are nowhere near efficient enough to generate net power.

>literally nobody else in the world ever coming close to building a fusion reactor that outputs more energy than it takes to run.

Breakthrough: The world's first net-positive nuclear fusion reaction

io9.gizmodo.com/breakthrough-the-worlds-first-net-positive-nuclear-fu-1442537401

>2013

>io9.gizmodo.com/breakthrough-the-worlds-first-net-positive-nuclear-fu-1442537401

>ignoring the efficiency of the lasers

>This is a step short of the lab's stated goal of "ignition", where nuclear fusion generates as much energy as the lasers supply
Read the article before posting and making yourself look like an idiot.

how do I build one, OP?

>Bit hard to fission an element with one neutron in the nucleus.

Doesn't know about muh tritium.

Pleb

> literally nobody else in the world ever coming close to building a fusion reactor that outputs more energy than it takes to run.
JET has been up to 0.7. Which isn't over-unity, but it's coming close to it.

Yes, fusors are real, but the energy produced isn't even microwatts.

>this thread
i want to believe

Fuck off you just held your shitty gag memeter near a bananana.

OP did you die yet?

RIP
See you in the news

>south Australia
>believing australians

But that has 2 neutrons.

OK.
So there is no real dealing with these kinds of things in the field if in heavy war. Thus the crude: distant, methodical, rationing of exposure is actually correct after most important containment phase.
mfw ~1:48, dude grabs ahold of potentially contaminated rake...let's continue!

Pretty sure this ins't actually OP. Random change in image quality and his gps is suddenly turned on?

Hi there.
Im not too familiar with fusion reactors, but could you be dealing with a pulsed field that would give you a false low on your gm counter like pic related?

Also, never work on/with radionucliides or a location with a risk of radiation without a properly calibrated dosimeter. Its kinda hard to figure out exposure post-exposure without these sorts of things.

Top tier b8

Can't believe people are falling for it

You can't believe people are falling for top tier b8?
You fucking idiot it's not top tier if everyone did fall for it.

GG OP, you will be missed.

Right.

ITT: someone pretends to be the radioactive boyscout 2: electric jouleguloo

If you died in your house from the radiation poisoning couldn't it meltdown from not being conditioned?

Top kek

OP here. Sorry I abandoned the thread. After I shut it down I called the radiation emergency dept to come look at it. Spent the rest of the night having my house searched & spent the weekend in jail. Just got out of court and got bail now. My whole block is sealed off with crime scene tape now.

is not me.

Yes, it was outputting a ton more power than it took to run. Even with the steam engine being fairly inefficient.

Are you telling me I just invented power-positive cold fusion by putting a silicon shield around a fusor? I thought this was common knowledge by now? Wasnt Lockheed doing something similar with a truck-sized reactor?

This is cancer

Mention us if you survive to tell the story