Thanksgiving dinners are going to be a thing of the past

>thanksgiving dinners are going to be a thing of the past

makes me sad

why do you think that

I would fuck the hell out of her along with the two older ladies.

How do you know my language?

Why?

LOOK WHO CAME OUT OF HIS CAVE

Why?

I hope so. I'm already in the process of moving my family away from the traditional thanksgiving meal.

It's shit and we all know it. Thats why it's only eaten once a year

this, among a few other reasons, is why I am estranged to my family.

Not Canadian, but I got a good deal on turkey drumsticks Wednesday, so I bought and froze them to use Monday for a one-man Leafsgiving.
I've no work that day, so it'll likely just be me all on my lonesome (or perhaps one other friend who will also be off that day) eating smothered turkey drum, homemade stuffing and either collards or cabbage. I'm such a geek, I've been looking forward to it since the day I bought those drumsticks.

Every time I see this gif I think someone somehow posted a picture of my sister, then realise "oh, it's that gif again." Where the fuck is it from?

I'm from a culture that doesn't do Thanksgiving traditionally, but I'm halfmerican so I'm familiar with the concept. It seems nice and I've a hard time believing the pomp will just run dry.

This will be the case for me. Parents are old, and this may be the last year mom has it in her. Nearly lost her earlier this year. Once she's gone I'm sure as fuck not going to bother with a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Not a fan of the meal itself, just liked the excuse to get the whole extended family together. And that era is coming to an end in my family.

soon, we will sit down around the table and everyone will just chew on their nutritive sponges. no one will want to eat and swallow food.

I'm from Bongland and never had a Thanksgiving dinner. Are they always as eventful as American/Canadian tv makes out? Is the food that good?

Thanksgiving is pretty nice yeah, the food tastes better because you are with your family who loves you.

>Is the food that good?
Depends on how well that particular family can cook, and whether or not the traditions lean trashy. Some families add some really trashy dishes to the meal, like candied yams with marshmallows on top and green bean casserole made with condensed cream of mushroom soup. But the basics of the meal - a roast turkey with some sort of stuffing/dressing and gravy, cranberry sauce, fall vegetables and pumpkin pie - are just fine.

Oh. That wouldn't work with my family then. Nevermind.

Who carries on the legacy? Most women can't cook, especially for large groups. Most men aren't married by 30, and they don't bother making a big meal either. The breakdown of the nuclear and extended family in America will be the end of Thanksgiving.

While I agree with you that most people can't cook, that hasn't stopped thanksgiving yet. That situation has existed for 50 years or so. People will still do what they do now: rarely if ever cook, but will put forth effort (and usually make a shitty meal) on Thanksgiving.

There's also the ever-popular option of buying the thanksgiving meal as takeout.

>not liking yammallow
wazzamatta white boy? ascared of a lil flavah?

Seriously, though, I dated a Negress for seven years and the bitch's family, though college educated, were trashy as all fuck when it came to what they ate. You can take the 'groid out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the 'groid, I guess.

Basically, if the family can cook, the food is worth it.
If they can't but are pleasant, the togetherness is worth it.
If neither is true and everyone is awful, then there will at least be a good story to come out of it you can recount down the pub and you'll have a cool new scar from where your brother stabbed you with the carving fork or something.

People just order pre-made turkey dinners.

My grandmother was always the entire driving force for thanksgiving. I hated her stuffing, but helped her make it every year for over a decade. At 25, and a single man I have no family to bring to the table. Sister is about the same age, same problem. Extended family has dwindled, mostly just died off - no new kids from anybody,
Now the other real issue is that my mother was one of those boomer kids, who didnt need to cook. She partied. I quite literally am more prepared to do the thanksgiving shabang over her, along with my now dead grandmother's recipes. Ive thought about it but Im scared of there being a weak turnout - or looking pathetic for being a single 25 year old man making thanksgiving dinner for my family...

You silly.
My kid and all his buddies and cousins are growing up with big family-style Thanksgivings. It's not going anywhere.

>mfw flying our family 2,000 miles for week-long "Thanksgiving" at my sisters' house this year
>mfw I have a text face
@_@

>looking pathetic for being a single 25 year old man making thanksgiving dinner for my family...
What about that is pathetic? Odd, I guess, but not pathetic

You guys are 25. There will be kids, and then traditions will rekindle.

By the way, I have the same problem with my boomer parents. Fucking boomers.
Mom always wants to get a take out Thanksgiving.
Fortunately my sisters and I are good cooks and overrule her. Our grandmothers taught us well :)

>fried / smoked / roasted turkey
>mashed potatoes and gravy
>homemade stuffing and dinner rolls
>green beans, carrots, fruit salad
>cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie

>>It's shit and we all know it.

no, it's your taste that is shit

Then why do you only have it once a year

Because it's a lot of work!! Also >Christmas

>Christmas
>eating the same shit a month later

There's another problem

I eat turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dinner rolls, green beans, carrots, and fruit salad all year long, just not all together.

Pumpkin is a seasonal product that only grows in the fall. Cooking a whole turkey makes too much food unless you have a bunch of people to feed so stuffing doesn't get made if there's no bird to stuff. My family serves cranberry sauce at family meals throughout the holiday season.

Just fuck off of this board please.
You probably start fast food threads.

you have to go back you dirty fucking spic

Lol, but not really, because also:

>ham
>mashed yams
>brussels sprouts
>mince pie
>mulled wine

This is true for some, not others. My mom held the tradition together in my family, and she's not going to be around much longer. My boys live 1000 miles away, so I'm not going to make an elaborate Thanksgiving meal for just me and the wife. My sister's kids mare younger, and I'm sure she'll pick up the torch for her family when visiting my parents for the meal is no longer an option.
Turkey is a big bird, so traditionally it's cooked for celebrations where there will be large groups of people. It's not practical unless you're feeding a large group.

fuck off tradcon

Have you ever heard of maybe TRADITION? It's a thing you know? Why not put up a Christmas tree and leave it all year long too you fucking retard? Also Thanksgiving food is hard to make and unless your entire family both your mom's and dad's part are together with you every single day there's literally no point in cooking a turkey if you're going to eat it alone or with like 3 people, it's still not enough. Unless you're a glutenous fat son of a bitch that can gulf an entire turkey by yourself, that's your problem then

The more rural side of my family is like that, too. They've added a bunch of foodgore level dishes to the traditional holiday meals, and consider them essential elements. To them the green beans made with the can of mushroom soup, the yams with marshmallows and the corn pudding made with the can of condensed milk are as essential as the Turkey and the pumpkin pie. On the years when some of them came to my mother's for the meal they would always make it a point to bring one of those dishes, because they knew my mother didn't do them. I preferred my mother's add on anyways: creamed pearl onions, turnip mash and pork sausage in the stuffing).

Have a friend whose family always put oysters in the stuffing. That's kinda badass.

>Have you ever heard of maybe TRADITION?
Yep, and this one is for the mass murder of those red-skinned savages

Ideally it's to celebrate America as the land of plenty. Yeah, it may be a little gross that we made up a friendship story starring the people we pretty much attempted genocide on to back it up. And equally gross that a nation with a considerable obesity problem has a national holiday dedicated to over eating and watching football on TV. But that's what the tradition has become. You either choose to participate or you don't.

I gave up on doing anything for Christmas the moment my boys were out on their own, but for some reason my wife doesn't want to let go of Thanksgiving. I think it's usually the women who keep this stuff going, as men are more likely not to give a fuck.

>Forced to pretend to not hate relatives
>Conversation is either forced or women blogging about nonsense while the men are completely uninterested
>Everybody is irritable and waiting to get set off
>The only reason anybody is actually talking is because somebody decided that conversation was valuable, no matter how bad it is, and that TV or any other form of entertainment isn't allowed
Nah nigga I'm perfectly fine eating alone in the comfort of my room with my TV and computer. If you have to force conversations or make time for them, you have nothing worth saying.

>Wanting to serve what family you have a thoughtful meal on Thanksgiving

>Pathetic

Just no.

>mom becomes a Jehovah Witness
>beats the ever loving shit out of me all the time
>other side of family sexually abuses me me and then covers it up when cops find out
>can't have a decent thanksgiving dinner ever
>end up watching star wars original trilogy and eating premade pumpkin pie
>see threads like this
You don't fucking know what a nightmare it is to be alive for some people. Fuck "families"

Are you a girl?
Pls b n lunden

Tacos and James Bond is waaaay better anyways

It really depends on how fucked up your family is. I've got plenty of friends who trade family holiday horror stories. I'm from a family where everyone gets along and we enjoy each others' company. It also helps that no one is an obnoxious drunk. If anyone ends up wasted they're just laughing too loud instead of trying to pick fights.

>>mom becomes a Jehovah Witness
>>beats the ever loving shit out of me all the
Wtf? Does her religion state that she has to beat you up? Because that's messed up, I thought Jehovah's witnesses were just annoying pricks that knocked on people's doors and that they also have to let people die and not help in the case of an accident or some shit like that

>boys are 1000 miles away
You're supposed to bring them home for the holiday.
Fuckin' boomer.

That sucks. My family isn't perfect, but I always look forward to the holidays to see us all together having a good time.

Good thing I have a 50+ Italian family that always meet for holidays and stuff our faces.

At this point we're just as likely to go visit them (both live in the same city). They're more busy than we are.

yeah, mostly because kikes are dissolving the nuclear family by empowering women to be bad versions of men and injecting shitskins into the usa to further destroy the traditions of a strong white society.

>my gf flies home
>I drive in
>we do the first meal at her families house
>second meal at my families
>catch a movie after or meet up with our friends at a dive bar to hangout

People who don't like thanksgiving are missing out. My gf is pescatarian so every year I cut a piece of Turkey and sneak it under her veggies. She gets butthurt and her father and I bust out laughing. Overall great time.

Nice blog post faggot

So go visit them for Thanksgiving! Come on, man.

First day on Veeky Forums, friend?

And /pol/ wonders why nobody likes them

>le pol bogerman

back to tumblredit nigger

>le tumblr/reddit boogeyman
You guys seem to forget a lot that only your board is your hugbox echochamber, not the whole website.

I think this year they're going to hang with relatives from my wife's side of the family, who they are now physically closer to. We'll be down to visit come Christmas, though. Like I said, they're busier than we are. Young men trying to do everything all at once and keeping crazy hours.

>he doesn't have faith in football

Thanksgiving will always exist, but turkey and stuffing will be replaced by pizza and wings.

You still haven't stated anything to try to prove him wrong (because you can't really).

Spotted the guy who doesn't have thanksgiving dinner.

Other than the turkey and stuffing, what else do Amerifriends and Leafs eat on TG?

Also, would a stuffed turkey roulade be adequately Thanksgiving-y in your eyes?

I'm thinking to buy a boneless turkey breast, roll-fillet it into a thin-ish sheet, put onion-and-mushroom paste on it and roll it back up then bind and roast it.
Not only would it be much easier to carve into then a whole breast or whole turkey, but the fat in the onion/mushroom paste would also help keep the meat juicy more easily not to mention that the spiral of a nice roulade is just pleasing to look at.
Not sure what to serve it with, but wanna avoid stuffing because I'll be baking bread for the meal anyway. Was leaning towards a bacon-and-collards version of stamppot, having buttered carrots and parsnips as a veg side as well as a side of pork-stuffed mushrooms.

Sound nice? Any changes?

He doesn't need a proper response because he's baiting.

>Other than the turkey and stuffing,
Traditional stuff would be:
Mashed potatoes, especially with gravy made from the turkey giblets. Green beans (often green bean casserole), cranberries and/or cranberry sauce. Collards (or other greens, stewed). Macaroni and Cheese. Sweet potatoes cooked any number of ways. Pies: pumpkin, pecan, etc.

>>turkey roulade
The standard is a whole turkey roasted in the oven. I like roulades and I think everything you said about them makes perfect sense, but they are not typical.

Your sister looks like Cheryl Cole?
Gib contact plox

My Dad cooks a turkey breast for him and his new wife he got after my Mom died. He calls every year to tell me it was good. I make a turkey, mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, green bean casserole, mac n cheese, dressing, collard greens, cranberry sauce, diced yams with brown sugar, pumpkin pie and apple pie for my new family. I don't watch football but me and the kids play outside and usually have a bonfire later on and roast marshmallows/make smores while their mother goes to wait in line for stores to open. It's normally around 70 degrees outside, sometimes a little more so it's perfect weather on Thanksgiving for outdoor things.

>Cheryl Coalburner

As I'm absolutely not going to buy a whole turkey, I was thinking to make chicken gravy using chicken giblets because, unlike turkey, I can buy chicken bones and chicken organs separately from whole birds.

Gonna make the stock; meanwhile, I'll run the giblets through the food processor to mince them (or I'll see if the butcher is willing to run them through the mincer for me).
Once the stock is made, I'll make a medium roux using chicken grease and plain flour with the addition of the giblet mince and some chopped onion then add the stock and make the gravy. That'll go with the roulade itself as well as the stamppot. By the way, stamppot is mashed potatoes with greens mixed in, usually endive.

Sweet potato has gotta go. Can't stand'em and forgot that they're traditional.

Green beans is a good idea. A simple dish of sautéed green beans with caramelised shallots.

Macaroni and cheese would be nice, too, but fear it's too much to have that along with everything else. One serving of the stuff is about 420 calories on its own.
The turkey roulade, the stamppot, the gravy, the carrot/parsnip thing, the green beans and the bread together would be about 1200 calories per plate. Adding macaroni and cheese would be overkill, I think.

>tfw every thanksgiving from age 9 has been literally horrific
>seeing people I havent seen for years at a time to the point where I dont remember the names of many aunts and uncles
>family problems, arguments, spic relatives getting drunk as usual
>my parents finally decided to cut ties with everyone on holidays to avoid drama
>Last year no drama, everyone helped, we ate, drank and laughed

What do you guys suggest for thanksgiving appetizers? My mum usually makes won tons but wants to add a few more dishes.

we always just had ritz crackers, cheese slices and pepperoni to make little sandwich things out of. Mostly nobody ate though to "save room for the real food" so that they would be starving when it was time.

My mom, dad and sister are pretty crazy over shrimp cocktail.

Eh, my Mom was never a great cook so we'd usually end up going to my grandmother's in Texas for Thanksgiving every year. I started taking charge when I was 14 and I've been doing all the holiday dinners single handedly ever since then. I always get the occasional jab from my friends that are like "Why are you celebrating Thanksgiving? You're Native American", bitch any excuse for me too cook amazing full on meals and have tasty leftovers for days is excuse enough for me. I have my own family now and I find it's a cozy family affair for all of us. Sure I get stressed out but in the end it's worth it. So it's still tradition for our family.

Oh and we only invite close family friends or family we actually like to our Thanksgiving. Some years we just have our little family together on thanksgiving and spend the day together then the day after we have other people over.

Pretty much. Among my extensive circle of friends, pretty much all of the atheists shun Thanksgiving and Christmas just to be rebels to their Christian families.

Atheists literally have nothing to be thankful for and they are too self-centered and selfish to really bother to give gifts on Christmas. Most of the time they use Christmas as an excuse to buy themselves something moderately expensive.

We do that with the Hawaiian bread with whatever bits are already cooked. But crackers sound reasonable wouldn't want everyone to get full early.

My nigger fried shrimp sounds even better.

But by frying the shrimp you would take up an eye on the stove for pan frying or take up counter space using a dedicated fryer to fry them up and there's already enough cooking/baking/whatever going on so I wouldn't want to do that, although you are correct. The fried shrimp would be better.

As a mexican shitskin, I love holidays. I remember giving my younger cousins fireworks one time, green text time Veeky Forums

>Be me, 19 years old, popping fireworks in the street like a proper 3rd world pleb
>One cousin, 8 years old, wearing a big hoodie, asks me for some fireworks, I give him pic related, a tiger claw
>This little shits blow up really strong, im pretty sure theyre little dynamite sticks
>Gave him some more shit so he can have fun because his family is poor
>All is well, hes having fun, all of his fireworks are gone, except for the Tiger Claw
>The little nigger lights it up, and tries to throw it, but the little dynamite stick is stuck in his big ass hoodie
>Kid is screaming, no one knows what is happening, Im pretty scared because Im responsible
>He finally manages to get it out of his hand but not so far, shit blows up and he losed the pinky finger, his mother was crying and shit, and proceed to put his hand in mustard
>Firework shrapnel hitted a little cousing in the cheek, she still has the scar
>They rushed the 2 of them to a hospital
>I open my presents like a goodboy at 12'O clock in the am
>3 PS4 games, clothes and money

It was a pretty good christmas

Last year's spread for me was:

>Drinks
Apple Cider
Hot Coco
Eggnog
Arnold Palmer
Peach Tea

>Main Course
Mashed Potatoes
White Gravy
Brown Gravy
Cranberry Stuffing
Cornbread Stuffing
Cornbread
Whole Turkey
Pumpkin Soup
Cream of Asparagus
Dinner rolls
Green been casserole
Yams
Cranberry Sauce
Greens
>Dessert
Bread Pudding
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Icecream

growing up i had thanksgiving dinner with family. we'd travel upstate to see my extended family and make a weekend of it. in my late teens we pretty much stopped traveling and had thanksgiving locally with the family that lived here. once i started college i stopped going to thanksgiving with my family and started having it with my group of friends. ten years after finishing college i'm starting to have thanksgiving with my family again.

thanksgiving is just a time to get together with the people who are important to you at that time. this year it'll be my cousins and their little children. next year it might be no one. it isn't about some normal rockwell idealized white bread vision of mom cooking while dad and grandpa sip beers in front of the football game. at least it isn't for regular ole americans like myself.

We do the oyster dressing and the turnip mash. Both are excellent.

Is that a Northeast thing?

Clams are more northeast. Oysters are more a part of the coastal south. The only people I know to make and eat oyster dressing as part of their tradition are from Georgia, SC and northern Florida.

I know someone from NJ who does it. Don't forget the Blue Point oysters are right off the coast of Long Island.

Do they do it as a traditional part of their Thanksgiving spread, then? I know people from Long Island and north NJ who eat oyster dressing, but they don't mention it as being traditional to TG. My dad's entire family are from that area. They eat sausage stuffing/dressing.

Well, half his family, anyway. The other half are raving religious lunatics who live in a desert.

I'm not baiting, there is a general and legitamite attack on traditional family values and no one wants to talk about it because anything pointing out the difference among ethnicities has somehow become some big fucking no-no, so instead of discussing it on the one place that should have reasonable discourse it is instead met with "back to /pol" because of faggots like you who get offended on other faggot's behalf and you never have a proper reasoning as to why.

but please, feel free to populate the thread with even shittier replies friendino

>Ameriblob thinks he has traditions

Cute

I bet you think sitting down and eating as a family is important too you fucking mongoloid. Go back to worrying about where your
potatoes come from

>Yuropoor obsession posting

>Ameriblob thinks everyone who isn't fat and carrying a gun must be European

Hilarious

Every time

So sad

I cannot eat any of your words. Are you sure this belongs on Veeky Forums and not somewhere else?

Is it just straight mashed turnips? I mix turnips and potatoes for mash. I like the sweetness.

We always have a fruit & veggie tray and a deli meat & cheese tray + a bunch of crackers.