Srs question

How are economics and psychology still taken seriously?

How the fuck can economies be treated like black boxes and worthwhile results expected?

How the hell can psychologists run lab experiments and expect real world parallels? It seems every """result""" gets overturned.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>It seems every """result""" gets overturned
Post 5

economics is indeed retarded.
guessing about imaginary numbers.
numbers, by themselves, are already inherently imaginary.
and these people try to predict things that haven't happened yet...im talking more than a two variable set of equations...like a retarded amount of retarded variables.
if there were no money, there would be no middle man
people could work for free
they could also take for free
there would be no greed
because there would be no need
everything is quality
nothing is built shoddily
if everyone was poor
wed be richer than ever before

Eliminate secondary motivators and people will focus on the more primary motivators.

Ego depletion
Stereotype threat
Priming
Implicit association tests
Embodied cognition

Step 1. Replace human labor with machines.
Step 2. Enjoy how economists commit sudokus.

How have these been "overturned"?

Economics is fairly broad.

No, social sciences are pseudoscience.

Ego depletion has been overturned because not even the ORIGINAL tests could be replicated and still have the same results. Many variations on making people tired, hungry or stressed before giving them situations even have the reverse effect.

People are just fucking weird.
[spoiler] This fills you with determination.

You know, I'm the first one to say that economists can't even do basic math, however every time that I do something more advanced I hear things like "Why didn't you study engineering? If I was smarter I would go there".
If you send only dumb people to study economics you can't really expect things to improve.
>Step 1. Replace human labor with machines.
>Step 2. Enjoy this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite because now workers can't feed themselves
Fixed

> economics and psychology

how do you even relate these two things ?

Lack of predictive power, though the former is much worse because economists are respected and important macro-decisions are based on their """'"knowledge"""""

Dumb question but are economics problems NP?

Economics will be useful one day

We wouldn't have got to where we are in physics today without all the wrong bullshit in between

Consumer psychology.

Economics is a shit, simply because it’s frequently used as a veil of legitimacy to cover underlying structural systems that essentially transfer wealth and power to the socially prestigious and dominant.

I don’t care about the moral implications of any of that, so that’s not where this is going, in fact ignore them entirely for the purposes of this post.

It’s horrendously polluted with ideology, which is essentially pseudoscience for the most part.

It’s like chimps engaging in mathematical pursuits while inadvertently reinforcing their hierarchical social structures.

Also, give psychology a break; it’s a baby science.

It’s only really just starting out as a science, as before the advent of neuroscience and the inclusion of a neo-Darwinian theoretical framework, it was essentially pseudoscience.

Now, as for the fact that ‘theories are always being overthrown’…

Well yes, that’s how science works: it progresses through the successive falsification of logical hypotheses.

That’s the worst argument against a field of science that I’ve ever heard.

i like you

You guys are so cute trying to talk about economics

Honestly you sound like redditors

Economics is very much a science. As in other sciences, economics does incorporate mathematics in the theoretical and analytics framework of the discipline. Formal economic modeling began in the 19th century with the use of differential calculus to represent and explain economic behavior, such as utility maximization, an early economic application of mathematical optimization in microeconomics. Economics utilizes mathematics to assess the relationships between economic actors in environments in which resources are finite.

The use of mathematics in economics increased the quantitative analysis inherent in the discipline; however, given the discipline's essentially social science roots, many economists from John Maynard Keynes to Robert Heilbroner and others criticized the broad use of mathematical models for human behavior, arguing that some human choices can not be modeled or evaluated in a mathematical equation.
Economic theory and analysis may be applied throughout society, including business, finance, health care, and government. The underlying components of economic theory can also be applied to variety of other subjects, such as crime, education, the family, law, politics, religion, social institutions, war, and science. It has wider reaching impacts than you autists realize.

Psychology; however, is shitty.

>Psychology; however, is shitty.

10/10 argument

pretty sure the bits about economic theory applying to social issues falls under sociology, but okay senpai

fuk off my degree in pure mathematics is just as valid as your economic """"science"""" degree

>economic theory applying to social issues falls under sociology
>economic theory
>economic

please try again :^)

Well it's not as valid as my economic degree because you didn't study economic theory for your math degree, the same way my economic degree is not as valid as your pure math degree because we don't do things such as topology.

It depends on what you mean by 'economics problems'.

It is worth a lot of money for rich people to make most people stay clueless about how shit works.

Economics is a pretty important field imo, but using mathematical models and being useful isn't what makes something a science.

How could anyone believe and regurgitate these memes of ignorance?

>How are economics and psychology still taken seriously?
Never mind how "soft" they are.
Both are VERY politically motivated.

itt: highschool dropouts

>itt
itb

inclined to agree

well your economics degree is less valid than my sociology degree for talking about society, health care, government, crime, education, the family, law, politics, religion, social institutions, war, and science.

:^)

Economics is a science because it uses math and has models?

Nice one.

austrian economics is the only acceptable branch of economy

>le "I'll pretend I'm using rigorous axiomatic logic but actually always inject common sense considerations into my proofs" school
>acceptable
no

>t. just read a description on the internet about the Austrian School

Austrian economics is unacceptable and rejected virtually everywhere. Outside of its own small, circular groups, no one takes it seriously.

Ad populum