Virtual Reality

How far is VR going to go? I feel like VR might fail, I just can't see consumers spending money on cheap ridiculous looking headsets that aren't that immersive. I believe full immersion is possible, but we need to make huge advancements in neuroscience before we can even think about creating fully immersive technology.

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/problem-of-many/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also I'd like to add that there are tons of flaws in today's VR. Motion sickness, unresponsive head tracking, and only being able to move your head (with the exception of Vive)

the important things in 2016

>Not trying to find a way to bring digital shit into the real world of vice versa

>Using a gimmick to create another distraction from more intriguing straits

I hope it succeeds. I find current gen awful and not "VR" at all, but I also realize that if it becomes popular, then research for actual VR (ie brain computer interfaces) may speed up

Are you suggesting that current VR headsets are not more immersive than staring at a monitor?

If you've tried VR, you know it's immersive enough that your proprioception is altered for some time after taking off the headset.

>actual VR (ie brain computer interfaces)
kek'd

you're gonna be waiting a long time user.

I have a Gear VR and it's pretty fucking cool considering it only uses my phone to do everything.

I think if you give it 3 years you'll see fully immersive experiences become the norm.
Headset + Headphones + Hand tracking + Haptic body suit + Omni-directional treadmill + Voice detection + Fans and a responsive AC = Full immersion.

>Omni-directional treadmill
Why hasn't Virtusphere progressed at all since I first found it 15 years ago? Fucking bullshit.

I wanted to make haptic gloves using piezo actuators until I found out how fucking much the shit costs. None of that vibrating shit that some other products are showing, I'm talking pressure points reacting to "grabbing" things in the virtual world, similar to braille displays. So much for being an amateur inventor.

VR will stay a gimmick after the hype dies down.

AR will rise up whenever it's tech is ready and will become mainstream.

You can buy bend sensors for Arduinos on the cheap.
I haven't used them so I couldn't tell you how well they work.

What are some scientific applications using VR?

3D visualizations of data. Visualization is actually a really cool field that will probably do great stuff with VR. And it's an important field as data gets bigger and bigger and we need new ways of thinking about it.

Look up skinhaptics. It's not quite as physical, but using targeted ultrasound to create the illusion of touch is more practical in a grand sense.

Also, OSVR is going to be the future.
Third party platforms will build and improve on the open source nature of OSVR. No bullshit with company policies and NDAs, just people inventing cool shit. Plus, Oculus is pretty much dead in the water now. It's only a matter of time before Vive does something just as shitty, I mean have you ever read the HTC privacy policy? It's almost as bad as facebook's.

There's also an Idea I've seen floating around to use your own muscles as a way to give virtual objects mass and physicality, but I don't think it's anything more than just an idea at this point.

VR is a meme. AR is where it's at.

Who /gunter/ here?

yup, i'm not paying holodeck prices for this shit.

>Look up skinhaptics. It's not quite as physical, but using targeted ultrasound to create the illusion of touch is more practical in a grand sense.
An inferior version of this is roughly what I was originally alluding to with "other products" - I was somewhat disappointed and hoping for some variable pressure rather than a vague sense of contact. The demo I remember of another product went on about "feeling fire" because of the vibration. I'd rather give up vibration entirely and have some rudimentary sense of the resistance an object I'm touching/gripping is giving back.

Another related aspect I've thought of is using designs of powered exoskeletons in reverse to resist muscle movements. They are being designed carefully so that theoretically a malfunction can't end up twisting your limbs unnaturally.

>Third party platforms will build and improve on the open source nature of OSVR. No bullshit with company policies and NDAs, just people inventing cool shit.
I sure hope so. I haven't invested in anything yet, but it seems that a lot of games are pushing one specific device - I suspect there is zero compatibility which is laughable.

It's also extremely silly that Valve, while pushing the steam controller to become "open", are supporting locked-down Vive. Makes me lose all hope in steam hardware.

I was slightly excited at the PSVR price point if it does end up with PC support, but I do hope that OSVR is a thing. I'm mostly disappointed that the HDK2 is clearly mimicking Rift and Vive. At least PSVR went for a different compromise of resolution/framerate, and while I honestly think 90hz is likely sufficient and 120hz is overkill, I like to see unique approaches between different hardware.

>There's also an Idea I've seen floating around to use your own muscles as a way to give virtual objects mass and physicality
That will take way too long to be usable I think, but it's somewhat interesting. Kind of an uncomfortable thought for me though.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/problem-of-many/

>VR is a meme. AR is where it's at.
AR benefits from development in VR hardware. All AR right now is complete and utter garbage, much moreso than VR.