Where to learn Math

hey Veeky Forums
I want to stop being useless and contribute to society. Is there any place I can learn math from scratch. I want to do something with my life lol

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
freebookcentre.net/SpecialCat/Free-Mathematics-Books-Download.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Khan Academy.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Obtaining_textbooks

Why do you want to learn math? There are plenty of other different skills that will give you more job opportunities than self studying math. I would only do it if you find enjoyment in it.

too late

if you weren't learning advanced riemann-stieltjes integration by the age of 8, you're too far behind + are the reason that China is beating us

I'm currently studying chemical engineering and my technical electives are all in the biotech field.

Would I find any use in learning higher than calc II math? I'm talking about complex analysis etc.

I will be taking a heat and mass transfer course along with transport phenomena and some chemical reaction engineering and gas/liquid equilibrium.

Should I bother with math or computer programming? I know this is a bit off-topic but I don't really want to start a whole new thread on this stuff.

Highly appreciate anyones input, in return here is one of my favourite pieces of art. Thanks.

I want to learn math because the courses I wanna take involve some hard math. So, I need to get a grasp of it.

You can Clep math up through calc1 (which is the last class you can take in highschool) community colleges are also great asking as you stay away from the computer based math classes.
Kahn academy has some great videos which can pretty much replace lectures for the lower classes. Remember that practice problems will define how well you do on the test, it's easiest if you find a motivated study partner.

Does anyone read the FAQ / Sticky?

Buy a college algebra book / precalculus book on ebay for like 5 bucks and work through it.

freebookcentre.net/SpecialCat/Free-Mathematics-Books-Download.html

Do you want to go to graduate school?

>Higher than calc II math

Don't you have to take diff eq, and calc III to be an engineer?

Take Linear Algebra.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my linear algebra, diff eq's class. It seems after scanning calc III notes I have already taken it as well, our calc class was a year long course just called Calculus without the traditional calc I, II, or III distinction. My linear algebra knowledge is rather weak, only really know how to apply eigenvalues and eigenvectors to check for system stability and the usual Jacobian matrix setup to use in numerical methods for estimating solutions.

I do want to go to graduate school for sure. Not sure which research area, but I would like to keep my options open in chemical engineering.

Not an american so pls forgive me, but what does Calc I Calc II Calc III etc contain? Like what's the syllabus of them?

I - basic differentiation/integration + some applications, optimization, curve sketching, some trig
II - further applications of integration, series and sequences, log/exponential functions, introduces DEs
III - vector calculus, i.e. multivariable functions. vector geometry, matrices, partial derivatives, double/triple integrals.

Calc I would cover basic derivatives, limits, and introduction of integrals.

Calc II would introduce three dimensional spaces, sequences and series, integration techniques, polar coordinates.

Calc III would deal with double/triple integrals, sphere coordinates, partial derivatives, and surface stuff.

don't forget vector calc in calc III with green's theorem, stokes theorem, divergence theorem, etc.

e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x)

With this one formula you can derive all trig formulas. Get good.

Khan Academy

Open a book new friend. If you have trouble with basic stuff get a more basic book

I'm a fuck up who thinks he might have dyscalculia. I understand algebraic concepts; however, working with basic operations fucks with me. I was counting on my fucking fingers in fifth grade.

I know I'm not mentally retarded, but I've just never been able to wrap my head fully around numbers. I am completely math inept without a calculator.

I don't plan on finishing college, but I am pretty Veeky Forums and all of my other faculties are grade 'A'. I just want to get somewhat good at math so I could score high on the ASVAB and become a drone pilot or Parajumper. Where's a great place for me to start?

>useful and contribute to society

Iirc, PDE's are very useful in the study of heat transfer.

I have a general math question but I don't want to make a new thread
Is there anything in math that could be more than one number.
Like if x = 1, 4, 6 and 9 all at the same time or something.
is that a thing?

didn't mean to reply

x^2=4, x can be both + and - 2

Yes, a Jack can be either 1 or 11.

>i know I'm not mentally retarded
I'm going into Calc3/Linear Algebra and I think I'm mentally retarded.

Learn with the assumption you are fucking stupid as shit. Makes life (and learning) easier.

Yes.

Your brain is a cheeky cunt, or at least mine. You can look at a problem and say "that looks easy, not gonna waste my time."

Exam comes and you get fucked.

College
>I want to stop being useless and contribute to society
then get a job, learning useless shit won't make you a better person.

Be a nurse. You'd be surprised how rewarding it is.

What is Khan Academy ?

I'm good at math but still useless shit leech of my parents. and I can do linear algebra / graph theory.
All the math haters love to gloat that math is uselss in the real world. and they're somewhat right

Read the sticky

at my school we are on quarters but we take the following:
four courses of calculus
one course linear algebra
one course ode
one course pde but taught by engineering department - math has their own

past that complex variables is recommended for controls/signals.
for programming the following:
intro coding in matlab
numerical methods in matlab
prob/statistics in matlab
the controls courses will have plenty of matlab coding

How old are you? In California I went back to school as an independent adult, and the state pays for my education. It's really hard to keep motivated in math if you aren't in a university environment, if you can talk about math and make friends it keeps you focused.

Oh shit you can do linear algebra and graph theory? That's some high level shit

I'd recommend you practice algebra and read a good calculus book like Spivak, and do all of the hardest proofs.

There's a collection of soviet russian books, "mathematics it's content method and meaning" which gives a very general outline of undergraduate level math topics, including general topology and abstract algebra

Then, if you have a goal, there's a few choices. If you wanna go topology and real analysis, definitely stick with calculus and learn it well.

If you want to go into analysis/topology, then pick up a book on set theory and proof writing, and practice very hard writing proofs, make sure you understand and accept cantor's proofs.

Then I did gen topology through Sutherland and am going Rudin for real analysis.

If you want to do algebra, you can probably get away with a proof-based approach to linear algebra like Axler. If you get through spectral theorems with good proof writing, you can move on to Artin's Algebra, which works in tandem with linear algebra to ease you into abstract algebra.

If you wanna do applied math, first off go die, ask someone else.

Other undergrad subjects in math besides topology, analysis and abstract algebra are meme subjects and aren't "hard math" until you can learn them from a graduate level text.

By normie standards it might as well be post graduate studies. Besides, it depends on how far into his education he is.