Lucy

What about her anatomy suggests she was bipedal?

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/107/27/12121.long
creation.mobi/turkana-boy-getting-past-the-propaganda
rationalfaith.com/2015/06/evolutions-evil-eggs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I don't know jack shit about physiology, anatomy or osteology but for some reason this sounds contrived to me, so instead of finding out on my own if the evidence that backs said assumption is convincing enough, I'll snarkily share my skepticism on a Mongolian stone appreciation board

Give me a fucking break
pnas.org/content/107/27/12121.long

Well, at least you responded. Thanks. Have a happy Lucy.

Much appreciated, I hope the link is useful.

I've already read it. I just wanted.to spark a conversation/debate/shouting match among the many anons who lurk and respond in this board.

Laetoli footprints

What if the bones were planted by advanced aliens?

I mean, what is the purpose of studying this?

>snarkily
>adverbing a nonce noun
two points off

>what is the purpose of studying this
When do you start summer vocational school?

Do you have an answer to my question or are you just being mindlessly inquisitive??

lumbar lordosis is the most compelling evidence.

the knock-kneed stance would be pretty difficult to pull off on 4 legs as well.

then there's the radius:femur ratio.

What about this?

The shape of the pelvis is a dead giveaway, it's more flat and short rather than elongated.

Like this?

it's not leg:arm ratio, it's radius:femur ratio.

the femur is complete and both radiuses are nearly so.

>both radiuses are nearly so.
also on top of that, the part that's missing from the right radius is preserved on the left, and the part missing on the left is preserved on the right.

so between the two we've got more than enough to know exactly how long it was.

You know lucy isnt the only australopithecus skeleton we've found?

not him but given the differences in size and allometry it's more different from conspecifics than it is from members of other species.

Try telling that to the creationists. This was from the Ham-on-Nye debate. They really believe that Lucy was the only one found, mainly due to the fact that they can't let Piltdown Man and Nebraska Man die.

I get a boner every time I see a creationist chick. You know they're dumb and sexually repressed. I guess that's why I married one.

anyways, they're making the mistake so common with the public- thinking looks have anything to do with classification. Racists tend to make that mistake as well.

True. Plus, they always claim it's just a publicity stunt, a propaganda piece, or a hype train doomed to crash. Just look.
creation.mobi/turkana-boy-getting-past-the-propaganda

>I did not evolve from Turkana Boy or anything like it…these sorts of silly views are killing our faith.
they're not smart enough to realize it's their own disagreement with science that's killing their faith.

Islam doesn't really have that problem with their creationism. I suppose because they just kill anyone that disagrees.

Plus, who could disagree with this face?

he's dreamy.

I'm an atheist though, I have a particular hatred for muslims.

BioLogos representative at your service.

I don't require any reconciling with Islam, I don't care about it one way or the other.

I'd like muslim nations to stop killing atheists. It'd be good for them too since free scientists are almost all atheists, and by demanding a religious test they limit their own growth.

It doesn't much matter to me personally though since I intend never to visit a muslim country and spend my greenbacks there. And like many conservative Christian americans I have no particular problem with my country invading Islamic states and toppling their governments. Islam is free to stay, but sharia needs to go.

Agreed. You're talking to a former fundie Christian. I've become a bit more skeptical in my day, though I still cling to it for my own reasons.

I don't see any harm in it either way. People should be free to think and say what they want without being abused for it. When that happens we tend to see wrong ideas fade away on their own, not because of resistance but because people usually don't want to be wrong.

I agree. That's when. I have kids, I'll teach them about religion when they're old enough to understand the concept.

*that's why when I have kids

This shit scares me because humans got taker in the middle, made as bunch of cool shit, then went apemode again and tie all the cool shit down while acting like monkeys. Then all their kids had to build the cool shit again

I started mine young, as an atheist I suspect if you don't teach them to believe in god as a kid they're not likely to buy it as an adult or even a teen.

My eldest didn't turn out religious though. My youngest is still religious but he's 11. Time will tell if it sticks. I don't talk to them about religion though, I'd rather they had it if they can. Atheism isn't an improvement in my experience. It has no comfort to offer.

>I'll teach them about religion when they're old enough to understand the concept.
More religious people should be sane enough to do this.

>My youngest is still religious but he's 11. Time will tell if it sticks. I don't talk to them about religion though,
Less atheists should be insane enough to do this.

>Atheism isn't an improvement in my experience. It has no comfort to offer.
That's your problem. Don't abandon your kids to be fucked up by whatever other random assholes tell them to believe because boo hoo I wish life had meaning and/or there was an afterlife.

>Don't abandon your kids to be fucked up by whatever other random assholes tell them to believe because boo hoo I wish life had meaning and/or there was an afterlife.
atheism is useful for a very small number of people.

if they decide to study science they'll likely become atheists on their own. If not it has no benefit that I can see.

Did I tell you to make them atheist? I suggested you be involved in the discussion rather than let society do it for you. You can remain neutral by honestly telling your kids that no one knows, and discussing different beliefs, good and bad. Again, boo hoo I wish life had meaning. Stop being irresponsible just because you're a fuck-up. Plenty of people are fuck-ups and they still try.

>I suggested you be involved in the discussion rather than let society do it for you.
But I already know god doesn't exist and I know it won't make them happier, more productive people to know it.

they can live as they see fit. They're not stupid and I trust them to do what's best for them.

>But I already know god doesn't exist
As an atheist, no you don't.

>and I know it won't make them happier, more productive people to know it.
No you don't.

>They're not stupid and I trust them to do what's best for them.
An eleven year old.

>they can live as they see fit.
Only intelligent thing you've said.

>As an atheist, no you don't.
of course I do, just as surely as I know Han Solo doesn't exist. Even more surely since Han Solo doesn't defy the laws of physics.
>No you don't.
just because you haven't personally encountered the existential dilemma doesn't mean they won't. It's possible they're more intelligent than you. Or than me. Or maybe not.
>Only intelligent thing you've said.
I used to agree with you, but I grew.

atheism isn't the end of the journey, even though tons of people arrive there and declare the trip over.

eventually you may realize it's better to be happy than right.

>of course I do, just as surely as I know Han Solo doesn't exist.
Certainly you can understand that you cannot declare for certain there are no god entities whatsoever. In that abstract sense, they are unfalsifiable. Unless we're only talking about the Christian God, in which case meh.

>Even more surely since Han Solo doesn't defy the laws of physics.
I would disagree with that one.

>just because you haven't personally encountered the existential dilemma
I have. I grew to find it empowering that I wont be judged for what I do or do not choose in life. I find the lack of an afterlife peaceful. I am here to find my own meaning and live my own life fully.

>atheism isn't the end of the journey, even though tons of people arrive there and declare the trip over.
Hell, some atheists become spiritual in a more abstract sense. I can't say for sure that wont happen to me. But whatever happens I doubt I will turn back to despair.

>eventually you may realize it's better to be happy than right.
They aren't mutually exclusive.

It's late, wont be responding more tonight. I apologize for some of the hostility, your attitude frustrates me.

Not that guy (I'm the BioLogos guy), but g'night dude.

>They aren't mutually exclusive.
and that's what I've decided.

if being right makes you happy then you're an atheist like me.

if not then you're better off being happy than right.

People make up their own minds, whatever they decide is fine. What you believe is fine. What I believe is also fine. What creationists believe is likewise fine.

ITT

Arm yourselves with knowledge.
rationalfaith.com/2015/06/evolutions-evil-eggs/