Grad School for Computer Engineering

Anyone have any experience with/opinions on pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D in Computer Engineering? I'm weighing my options between those two or just going straight into the industry.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have you ever done research? You could always do the M.S. then go to graduate school if you enjoy the research.

Need more info.

I haven't. That's my main reasoning for not planning for it is because I know there's no point unless I know for a fact that I enjoy research.

What year are you? You can probably find a professor to do a year long project with to get some exposure.

I would probably do the M.S if I was you. You can always go to get a PhD after you do it.

To add on, you did say it was the BS / MS right? A 1 year masters? It would probably be hard to get into a good PhD school without any research experience.

I'm going to be a senior. I still have time before next semester to talk to one of my professors about possibly doing a research project. One of my professors talked to me about the possibility of doing research for her in exchange for having my PhD paid for, but if I went for it I don't want to do it at my undergrad university. But maybe I can still ask her for a research position during the school year.

Yeah, I have the option of either just graduating with my B.S. and going to work, or staying for another year to get my M.S.

> having my PhD paid for

All PhD programs are paid for.

Do the M.S. If you don't like the research, it will be one year of your life and you'l' get some more than someone with a BS

>1kb = 1000 bytes

Is it not?

Look up binary bytes. Historically in CS we used kilo-, mega-, giga-, etc. as multiples of 1024 rather than 1000 because it's evenly divisible by 8, and we use 8-bit bytes fairly universally. Later, companies annoyingly switched to 1000 for the lay-person and more realistically to make their numbers slightly bigger -- the same way ISPs intentionally conflate bits and bytes, using a capital B to describe bits when in the industry it is common convention that capital is bytes and lowercase is bits.

There's a more modern convention where if you're using multiples of 1024, you say binary bytes, and abbreviate to "kibibytes"/KiB, "mebibytes"/MiB, etc. I have mixed feelings about it.

>Believing 1KB =/= 1000 Bytes
>Not knowing that 1 KiB = 1024 bytes

1kB=2^10 Bytes=1024 Bytes.

It literally just depends on what industry you're working in. If you're working with lower-level stuff you're probably more likely to see the KB=2^10 bytes convention whereas if you're in a non-traditional software industry people are probably going to say KB=10^3 bytes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte

I figure if the drivemakers want to stick to SI prefixes and inflate their numbers, the only proper response is to create a new prefix so that no ambiguity exists.

There is a different prefix. kb = 1000 bytes
kib = 1024 bytes

I really hate the ambiguity too. I also prefer the 1000 bytes since it keeps calculations cleaner.

I am aware. I'm saying that adopting KiB as the standard for any serious work outside of drivemaking makes more sense.

Come on nigger are you really this stupid?

Doing anything with Networks is absolute hell for keeping track of the different conventions. Marketers will advertise data speeds in powers of 10, but almost anything regarding network protocols works in powers of 2.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

No, I am not stupid, but it seems like no one can agree on a proper deffinition.

>tenth /adv/ thread today
eat shit, leave and never comeback
(read the sticky first, asshat)

1kb is 1 kilobit = 1000 bits
This guy knows what's up.
This guy is an utter retard, you described an KiB not a kb.
No you're wrong, kb is 1000 bits, not bytes,
just as Kib is 1024 bits instead of bytes, what you mean is KB and KiB, not kb or kib.
>I really hate the ambiguity too. I also prefer the 1000 bytes since it keeps calculations cleaner.
Yes you showed already you're confused easily.
>but it seems like no one can agree on a proper deffinition.
Oh you're also wrong boy, the definition has been set in stone for years now. It's just that people are to stupid to use them the right way.