Minecraft computer guy here. Here's the computer I said I was working on if anybody remembers the last thread

Minecraft computer guy here. Here's the computer I said I was working on if anybody remembers the last thread.

imgur.com/a/lPZbk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zBIb-bwSoSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7w-dIjNHI
youtube.com/watch?v=wNypW-aSCmE
ted.com/talks/temple_grandin_the_world_needs_all_kinds_of_minds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Damn.

what does it do user

Calculates pi to 5 decimal places.

It does what a CPU do.

and that's how we began to simulate our universe in a simulated universe my son

Legit question op, not meant to be insulting, but are you actually autistic?

This is OP. yes.

1. why use pistons instead of torch logic
2. can you give me a close up of the adder in the alu im curious about how you manage to stuff 8 adders in there
3. how does the ram work? or is it only reg instruktions
4. why the splitting into Main,CPU,Ram why not use 1 OPCode

I think pistons have shorter delay than torches. But even if they are the same, you can implement some logic with shorter paths, which would still mean shorter delays for that gate, and because you can make circuits that are more compact.

Jesus fucking christ OP, I wish I was as autistic as you. This is fucking nuts.

>why use pistons instead of torch logic

I started with using pistons in buffers only because i liked the aesthetic and they made for more compact circuits. i moved away from pistons due to unfortunate bugs that caused them to become stuck in position after a redstone signal was turned off. i now only use torch logic.

> can you give me a close up of the adder in the alu im curious about how you manage to stuff 8 adders in there

pic related

> how does the ram work? or is it only reg instruktions

the Ram works by accepting a value as well as a four bit and two bit word.

00000000 0000 00 XX
^ ^ ^ ^
VAL ADDR R/W NA

ADDR = the adress of the memory cell (each cell is 8 bits). The adress is four bits since there are only 12 bytes of ram.

R/W = whether to read or write. (writing zeroes to a cell acts as a clear function) ; 01 = write, 10 = read. reading a cell puts the value retrieved from it into the I/O buffer which the MB can request information from.

> why the splitting into Main,CPU,Ram why not use 1 OPCode

It isn't really main, cpu, ram, rather cache alu and cpu which interprets the instructions. calling it ram is a misnomer, which is my mistake. ram it more of my nickname for it, really.

Is that autism?

Me too man

I have the type of autism where I barely have the motivation to retie my shoes so they fit snug. I just pull Em on and take them off already tied

Very nice OP

That's called laziness, sorry.

>I just pull Em on and take them off already tied
Are you suggesting this is related to my complete lack of motivation with regards to everything in life? Man... Haven't learned something about myself from Veeky Forums in a while.

Do you have to use that /tickspeed command or does it run fine in real-time?

How do you deal with timing issues? Isn't redstone very slow? Do you use a really slow clock?

Not really impressive, mate.

Computer hardware is actually simpler than people think. But yours is way didactic, it gets much more complex than that. For example, you could read on how specialized calculators work, see how is the math behind these fast computations. Yours ends up being a lot of manual labor for a simple, easy as shit, retarded "computer". You are probably trying to show off, do you think people here don't know this kid stuff? You are probably right, because Veeky Forums is mentally impaired, so why are you here in the first place?

>all those hours you could have spent fucking

Please, shut up, low IQ peasant.

and I felt smart about my sorting machine...

pretty neat, OP

You're among the first to see through my simple project and expose it for what it really is. trying to do a specialized calculator with fast square roots, non recursive multiplication and division, smong other nifty features in minecraft would be retarded. That's why I use logisim for anything that isn't easy to debug and plan.

>low IQ peasant
You're playing minecraft.

>follows sexual urges
top kek

This is pretty autismal OP.

You should have dedicated this time to making a better CPU so we aren't all stuck in minor gains CPU hell.

Did NVidia hire you guys already? They need work on their Async shaders.

Hey OP how long does an electron (data) flow from one gate to another gate? Is it fast?

But the question is, can it run minecraft?

That's a fucking compact adder design, especially without using pistons.
My 4bit ALU was fucking massive compared to this. Well done OP

>Thinking one person can design a better CPU
Probably not super fast. Any redstone action- repeaters, pistons, etc. requires at least 1 redstone tick (1/20 of a second). Assuming at least 50 redstone actions occur per operations (which seems conservative) we're talking about 2.5 seconds to do one op.

Any mods that can make redstone tick faster?

Not OP, but it would be longer than that. Redstone can only travel 15 blocks before it needs to be "boosted" by a repeater, which is also 1 redstone tick, so it realistically would be about 5-10 seconds per operation or 0.2 flops.

No, it's part of the game's core coding. That's how the servers work, and how the game was designed.

Hence 50 redstone actions. I'm accounting for repeaters.
Redstone is instant until it has to be boosted.

tell me what you think of cellular automata, ternary computing

have you tried one of them in minecraft? example:
youtube.com/watch?v=zBIb-bwSoSQ

I'm not making small talk here if you don't know these terms move on

visual framerate?

Uh... what?

So idk shit about computers or minecraft OP. So what is it anyway? Are you trying to like, create a computer inside a computer world? Does it actually work?!? If so that'd be sick af yo

neato

I saw a video some time ago about someone that made cellular automata in Minecraft. You can almost make some sort of Game of Life Minecraft version too using vanilla stuff and flying machiens.

Vid unrelated

youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7w-dIjNHI

If the clock speed is so low, you should really focus next on multicores.
After you have found a good way no automatize the building process via an bot and you only need to feed the Minecraft bot your layout you should be able to build a CPU with dozens of cores.

That way, when you start coding the GNU userland for your implementation, you would build extremely effective multicore variants of the gnu userland and a multicore fundamental os

>If the clock speed is so low, you should really focus next on multicores.
More complexity will reduce clock speed because the tick rate will go down. Though I will say, the layout seems rather flat, so if multicore could be implemented (I don't know much about that area of CPU dev) with a reasonable increase in complexity, stack it to the sun.

>After you have found a good way no automatize the building process via an bot
Most people do this stuff with a map editor that features copy & paste, but I suppose you could write a map generation script to take it one step more meta.

>That way, when you start coding the GNU userland for your implementation
Kek'd at that.

Found it.

youtube.com/watch?v=wNypW-aSCmE

Scary

not really, what is so special about them?

>browses Veeky Forums
>browses Veeky Forums
>see minecraft thread doing basic engineering shit
>OP seems to do it for fun
>it's actually a good and cheap way to make a basic CPU
>great educational way to understand computers
>pretty neat and fun
>I was planning on doing some basic shit like this
>huh duh you should have spend your time fucking
why normies won't fuck off to facebook?

Once building the basic latches and shit, building a whole cpu in vanilla minecraft (there's plenty of circuit mods) seems overly autistic
you don't even have creepers to destroy everything

why do normies and brainelts call autistic something any bachelor in CS or CE can do?

I dont even think it is normies. It is people, who think you cant possibly have sex AND hobbies for some reason

This is much more interesting than a computer. This is a very simple construction than generates a very complex output, while the computer is a super complicated construction and only generates a very simple output (i.e. the first decimals of pi).

If the autists who build CPUs on minecraft and not me, I'm really gonna throw a tantrum

>building things that are useful means you have a developmental disorder

Congratulations, you're all brainwashed by modern society. Back in the old days, when someone built something that other people used, they referred to that person as a regular old "engineer" (and that person was often a man). I know this is a foreign concept for you genderfluid snowflakes, but trust me, no one here is actually autistic. Actual autistic people literally cannot tie their own shoes, and need help taking a bath, and often have to wear helmets to prevent themselves from self-injury. Building a CPU on minecraft just means you're a normal guy who likes building things for other people to use.

also this
and this

I find cellular automata to be very fascinating and (potentially) very useful. The reason I say potentially is because although uses for cellular automata seem very abundant, actually implementing a viable, solution using them tends to be a very hard task. In my mind they are more of a fun experiment. However, the field DEFINATLY deserves to be explored with more depth.

Minecraft runs fine even with the computer running code.

ground breaking!
who knew Pi had more than two decimals?
be honest, you didn't know that!

If you built this just to say "look what I was able to build in Minecraft," that's valid because it's impressive to see so much effort and time put into a project.

If you're doing this for any other reason, though, you should really take a second to reevaluate your use of time. Redstone in MC is nothing like actual transistors, so learning how to build a logic gate in MC is not useful for understanding real-world logic gates. If this is what you're after, you should get PSpice or some other low-level electronics simulation tool. They can teach you much more effectively and realistically. If your goal is to learn about higher-level functional units in a microprocessor (adders, etc), there are hundreds of tools out there for that. There are even web pages that let you build fairly accurate simulations of functional units from logic gates.

The real problem with what you're trying to do is the efficiency. MC has tons of arbitrary and unrealistic delay inserted just to make using redstone in the game more of a challenge. You have to put those stupid "repeaters" every 15 blocks, you have to worry about the timing between when different signals arrive, and so on. Plus, MC itself is written largely unoptimized Java. Your computer is going to run at one clock tick per hour if you're lucky.

you're going places

make it evil like skynet, please

Amazing. It reminded me of Grey Goo somehow.

Sounds like you're an autist.

Idiot question, but, how did you connec t those on the clock? I mean there aren't any delays there are there?

>useful

No, I am not.

Autismus Maximus

>not enjoying women while studying your passion

uhh i agree with you in theory but hello this man is combining complicated logic gates and adders to create a functional cpu in a fucking children's game

while what he has done is pretty cool, this is eccentric, at the very least, by any definition of the word. I can see why someone would call this autistic

Is it Turing complete?

Could I write a C compiler for it?

>in b4 we have the entire TCP/IP stack and webservers running in minecraft

How fast is this? Can we see it working in a webm?

>Useful

Somewhere in here he said it has 12 bytes of memory, so, no.

Op here, I am seeing a lot of hostility in this thread not aimed at me, but aimed at others. Please keep in mind that any provocative or hostile comments were not authored by me. I am more or less neutral about being called an autistic for doing this and people arguing over it are just leading the conversation in a haywire direction.

ComputerCraft has that, kind of. Everything is in Lua though.

>That are useful

>calculators aren't useful

Like I said, you're all brainwashed. I'm not autistic, and I don't think any of you know what autism actually is. I might be a little old fashioned, but I'm not autistic. I have a wife and one kid on the way. Like I said, people with actual autism cannot function as adults, let alone build CPUs in minecraft. You might get a savant here and there, but they're so exceptionally rare it's pointless to even mention them. Most of my friends are engineers and they all do these kinds of things in there spare time. One builds mini-hydro stuff, the other build calculators, another small engine shit (although most of them do that). They're all married with kids except for one, and the one who isn't doesn't do anything at all with his free time, let alone build things.

You guys have it all backwards. Most of the guys I work with (CPU builders) are "jocks" if anything, let alone autistic. Try going outside and meeting real people. The world is not like it is described on this godforsaken website. People who make CPUs aren't autistic by default.

>building technology, that's already developed, from scratch in a game for no reason is not autistic

You're super autistic. You have problems and you need to see a doctor.

>projecting so hard that people start buying popcorn

>having hobbies where you build something means you have a developmental disorder characterized by constant self-injury, impaired non-verbal communication, and general over-sensitivity.

Like I said, you've been on Veeky Forums too long. Go outside. No one is actually like that.

I don't know man it looks like your asshole suffers from some over sensitivity.

There is no other way you could be this butt hurt otherise

The Veeky Forums definition of autistic is "anyone who is able to focus on a single task for more than half an hour". You're basically Temple Grandin.

IT LIVES!

wow it's just a bunch of long as hell blocks with redstone repeaters every now a then. everybody did that years ago, user, not impressive.

youtube: epic conways game of life

>DEFINATLY

now that is autistic :^)

Is there a download for that mod/plugin?

See he never released it.

ted.com/talks/temple_grandin_the_world_needs_all_kinds_of_minds

>guy makes reindeer moss plugin for Minecraft

lmao. I bet this nigga wears these.

hes using minecraft software to build a virtual computer. you don't belong here

Why didn't you just do it in real life?
I mean your computer already has a calculator right?

> not using SPICE
Highschoolers plz go and stay go

You actually do not know that autism is a spectrum from non-speaking people up to the greatest minds in science who have families. There's nothing wrong with it if you can function normally.

>using crutch software

The best thing about Minecraft is that there's fucking nothing to really help you built into the game. You literally make up shit as you go along. Like if you want a resistor or a capacitor you have to spend time actually coming up with a way to design them then implement them.

might as well have a button that makes a computer for you than tells u good job user u did it

You're really pathetic.

Ummm...I doubt he used a resistor or capacitor. You need those for real components, You have purely digital components (and delays).
Building it from transistors in SPICE would be more complicated.
You just google what SPICE was?

In Minecraft you have to make the transistors themselves. You build a lot of the individual components from the ground up. I just finished playing around with a few different versions of capacitor designs. Though the best seems to be a solid state version that doesn't use hoppers or pistons; in order to prevent loading/lag issues.

You know you need extra components for real transistors to work? You can't just throw them on a board and hope the bias voltages are all correct.

> I just finished playing around with a few different versions of capacitor designs.
What are you using "capacitors" to hold? Because last time I played Minecraft they didn't have analog voltages.
Trying to think what else capacitors could be used for and I'm drawing a blank.
Are you holding items and then dropping them?

>hoppers
It has been a long time. I don't even remember these, so sorry if that's important.

I use to build self repairing bridges and houses.
It just seems boring to play minecraft without the gathering and mobs.

Eh, people make digital displays, "LCD" screens, computers (like the OP), and all manner of stuff in Minecraft now. Right this moment I'm making a variable resistor. You should check out all the new components you can use to make stuff now.

Minecraft has comparators which read what a container holds or what state a block is in then return a variable signal strength. However, it allows only 16 discrete values.

Hoppers are just a funnel that catches items and puts them into chests or other hoppers. You can make item sorters, RNGs, and a ton of other stuff with them.