Teleportation

If you walked into a teleportation device, wouldn't it just kill you? I was just thinking about it, and realized only a fool would ever use one of these. It may create a clone on the other side, but "you" and your own consciousness would simply disappear. That's horrifying.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ET0crLpmn1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Welcome to da club.

>Veeky Forums - Science & Math

Teleportation will never be a thing for humans for that exact reason.
Even for objects I don't really see the point : If you can create a machine that clone things, just create the object you want with it ?

If you built a time machine and went back in time, you would almost certainly step into the vacuum of space.

Are you implying that the mind is immaterial? That it's anything more or less than just a bunch of particles?

You are the result of a set / configuration of particles existing. Moving said configuration of particles to another location via a teleportation machine wont kill you just like moving to another location via the earth's rotation wont kill you.

but that doesn't hold up, because particle configuration also includes location. An identical set up in a different location is a still different object.

Imagine it this way. Let say we create an identical clone of you, which is the same in every way including memories. If I shoot and kill you, will you not "die"? Will you be okay with it just because the clone exists? Only a madman think that.

but then if our experience is purely mechanical, if an identical copy of myself exists, what is it that entraps my consciousness into only the original? if the copy is identical, and we are both trapped in our own first person perspectives, how is that difference in perspective explained?

Because you clearly aren't running both bodies, so if one dies then the driver running that body is gone even if to an outside observer nothing has changed

So imagine Star Trek. Spock is falling in the volcano and there is no chance of getting him back. Who cares, just scan him in intervalls and recreate the last possible version, some minutes maybe are lost, but who cares...

"Your" realization has been around for decades, kiddo.
Also, this isn't even science and math. Just shitty scifi and philosophy.

Kek, nice joke

>particle configuration includes location
Okay user. So do you die every time you take a step because your localized arrangement of particles moved to a different spot?

The time-worm explanation.
>has an unoriginal thought that is off topic and doesn't google anything
>comes here to be spoon fed

We just die every quantum of time. There would be no diference if you are teleported.

A manga called Gantz deals with this topic quite a lot. You wouldn't say the same thing if you replaced every single of your body cells one to one with artificial ones, yet it is the exact same thing. You really are nothing but your brain structure.

> he read mango
fug of >>/a\

It wouldn't matter. You can't even prove your consciousness from five minutes ago is the same one you have now; same thing applies to teleportation.

>The weebs are coming from inside the thread.

Your cells aren't you the continuity is, our cells get regularly replaced but the continuity of consciousness is why it remains you, if a clone is made and the original destroyer that continuity ends, why do people struggle with this concept so much

But then the purpose of the device wouldnt be teleportation, uit would be a backup

>continuity
what exactly do you mean? with sleep, comas and being drunk as shit there really isnt a continuity of consciousness

This is why we should focus on portals instead. Because portals link two points in time for you and don't make a copy of you as far as I know.

That's another question as to whether your consciousness dies when you go to sleep and a new one is created but in this case it's guaranteed

yeah, sure thats another question. But either way, there isnt really a continuity. So it cant be just that

Teleportation is just a hole

Just like your mum XD lmao burn

What if the original is destroyed and two copies are created (the same configuration of particles) at the same time, from which copy will you experience reality?

Another scenario:
If you are put to sleep as you are being copied (the copy will be copied sleeping too) and both of you are awaken at the same time, from which body will you have first person perspective? If you percieve reality with the original body, maybe there is something outside materialism concerning consciouness.

>from which body will you have first person perspective?
I would say from both. Both persons will assume that they are the original and it will feel like they just fell asleep

/thread
Fucking nailed it.
Can this be a transhumanist thread pls?

well technically correct, keep in mind that the idea of "free will" or "personal conscienceless" is simply the result of chemical/physical processes which take place in the brain. This means your clone lives just as you would had you not died. it is a common conundrum. same issue arises when considering the idea of uploading someone's brain into a computer or a robot.

I love the fact that a lot of you anons have gone down the same philosophical path that I have.
Here's mine:
.non-wormhole teleportation is death
.consciousness > everything
.humanity needs to prioritize this
.you don't move your body you just send electrical signals to muscles that move your body. You are a ghost in the machine.

nice man

youtube.com/watch?v=ET0crLpmn1E

What if they cloned you like a siamese twin joined at the head sharing a brain and then gradually split your brain while repairing it on both?

Then tour creativity will get one body and your logic will get the other

No idea, but I have one similar:
What if a split brain patient somehow gets its halves and eyes separated from each other in space and each part is complemented (connected) by one exactly organic copy from the other half (including memories). 2 eyes, 2 brains apart from each other, but physically equal, receiving different stimulus.

Will you perceive visual information by those two original halves apart from each other?