So I want to get started making educational videos like cgp gray...

So I want to get started making educational videos like cgp gray, but I have a lot of shit to learn about video editing and stuff, but I did already make one video with windows movie maker. Its pretty basic shit, but this was kinda like a demo.

Maybe could you check it out and help me spread it?
youtube.com/watch?v=UFaO8hXM3S4&feature=youtu.be

I thought it was pretty good. I liked that you provided examples relating it to multiple aspects of life like the workplace, chess, and biology. I think your mic is fine for now, but like the comments said a pop filter or even just a thin sock placed over it would help balance the audio. Also, not really a big thing, but I think if you used a program that allowed some sort of drawing during presenting it'd help interact with the viewers if you speak about more complex and abstract topics. Really good for your first video, though. You sounded confident in your delivery, maintained focus on the topic, and even added in a bit of humor at the end.

I really would like to get a drawing tablet but again funds are hard right now.
But I do think that is a good idea.
I really appreciate the feedback.
I really want to go far with this.

I don't think you really need a drawing tablet.
You could probably just go the GradeAUnderA route and import little sketches in from paint to help conceptual stuff,
but that's only if the images you manage to find don't explain it as well as you like however I think they worked fine for this vid.

well I'm an aspiring artist (and musician) as well...
I supose I could use my non pressure sensitive pen and tablet to do diagrams and stuff. Not like it has to be super pretty for the time being.

Id like to actually show self drawn diagrams and stuff to explain things in my own way of teaching.

Sounds good, my man. Good luck with the channel, looking forward to how it grows.

Thanks c:
would you mind helping me spread it around?

Not at all, I know a few of my friends who are looking into becoming psych/stem majors that would love little informative videos to explain these kinds of concepts.

You're the best.

No problem, good luck with your channel, man,

Good shit user. I would definitely recommend improving your microphone setup at some point. You'd be surprised at how much a relatively cheap microphone, geared specifically at this sort of talking, will improve your overall video quality.

I'd also reccomend including text on the slides of any major quotes as you say them. Don't overdo it, maybe just a few per video, especially as you transition from one point to the next and summarize what you just went over.

Overall I'd say it has potential. Keep it up, I'll be checking back occasionally to await your next vid.

I liked it! Keep with it and it will only get better.

In order to improve the sound quality you should get a pop filter - it will stop the annoying sound when you breathe into the mic.
You should also use more visual aids, I liked the ones you had but when you were talking for a while on the chess picture it got a bit harder to follow you. If you added pictures when you were listing the a/b/c/d that would have made it easier to follow.

It's good, subscribed, but get a pop filter. You can make one with a pair of pantyhose and a wire hanger.
While a better mic would be nice, it's not 100% necessary.

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Reddit tier garbage, fuck off

Good stuff.
Drop the salesmenshiping at the end and post links to sources in the about and you've got a good chan user

Also, have you ever found a sci youtube channel that would challenge viewers to solve tough problems? Ive been dyine to find something like that

Don't hate it, but ill give some advice that I personally appreciate.

People will forget everything unless you kinda type some important things to remember.
Example, you could type A, B, C, and when you finish talking about A, have a text beside it with a simplified sentence of it.

Anyways, Great for a first video.

I really appreciate all this helpful feedback.
I've already got 163 views.

only thing not said so far that you could work on is maybe more script diversity

you say "for example" way too much and it gets stale. good job tho

I noticed that and it bothers me too.
I'll work on it.

Your video has no point.

All you do is mumble about how there is a thing called game theory and how it can model job interviews, chess, and evolution.

You don't give a good explanation of what game theory even is and instead mumble about three examples of it in practice.

But they real question is who the fuck is this for? You don't make any interesting points for people who know about the topic. You don't explain the topic in a way that a newbie could easily understand. You don't even make the video fun to watch.

And your mic is shit.

Either think carefully about what your audience or stop making shit videos you autist.

I am not him, but hell why make it fun to watch? That is absolute plebeian, his channel is already a degenerate party, he should make a serious video instead

If it going to be shit, it might as well be entertaining.

Besides, that's what cpgrey does and OP desperately want to emulate him

Wow, i thought CGP GAY was just retarded when it comes to the perceived "humour". I figured he meant other aspects of that cancer, like the informative aspect

Yeah I would like to improve my quality like 100 fold if possible.

You should draft out the whole video and revise it several times before voicing it. When you do get to voicing it, be prepared to re-record several times until you are happy with the presentation. Slideshow videos are always terrible, you should find some various tools for graphing and animations and practice with them to make unique material for your video. Windows movie maker is garbage. You can pirate adobe premiere or sony vegas, according to preference, or you can search for open source alternatives. OpenShot was decent enough for me on linux, I don't know how well it performs on windows. Last of all, don't do screen recording, edit clips together with your voice, it takes longer but gives you much more freedom without distracting you from delivering good voicing.

The presentation isn't the problem

Hence why I suggested drafting the whole video and revising it prior, as well as producing his own material.

Your video is shit
Stop shilling your fucking shit video
Seriously fuck off

etc...

Are you fucking talking to yourself ?

make a good product before you even consider going for patreon, too much shit out there. Invest in yourself and git gud, get a mic, learn to edit and build a following. Easier said then done.

You talk like you're trying to be Aristotle. You keep making sounds other than your voice. Your tone of voice implies you're concentrating more on yourself than the viewer.

"Game theory" should feature once or twice in your script. Focus on a single application, and give concrete examples. Your main point should be made near the end, as a shock reversal.

only half of those are me

I liked it, man.

Keep going.

The job application example is not a zero sum game, one would expect that matching a worker with suitable characteristics to the job generates payoffs higher than a matching with other, non suitable workers. That is partly why people study and get degrees.