How do I improve my long-term memory?

My short-term meory is quite strong (I am good at cramming), but my LTM is really shit. Are there proven methods on how to improve it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-back
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pic related.

There is no way of improving your memory. So forget about some mini games lumosity style. All you can do is utilize your minds potential. There are many mnemonic devices you can use that will help you if you use them right. I would also recomment looking into mind maps.

Read the Christian bible and go to the temple.

I'm guessing OP's question comprehended those mnemonic devices. Mind to elaborate?

When I was in highschool we had some classes for improving our memory and I think it kinda worked but I coundn't bother actually sticking to it. Essentiality you need to use you imagination as muh as possible. For example if you want to remember numbers better you assign an object to every single number. Let's say the number 2 looks kinda like a swan. A three can look like boobs and so on. Then you don't memorise the number itself but a picture composed of those objects. You should be able to recall the picture more easily than the number.

Another examle is the shopping list. You don't memorise each item individually but you create a story that is taking place somewhere that you are familiar with. Something like as follows.
You get home and when you are taking off your shoes you see a giant cucumber in the closet. When you get in the living room instead of tv there is a giant bottle of milk.. And you go on.
When you get into the store you will be able to recall the story more easily than the items.

Those are just examples so I would recommend taking some courses or getting books if you are really interested.

Does this help for remembering important stuff,? For example: if I read a history book now, I would like to remember more about it in a year. I don't really see how your technique applies here.

Yeah I am not sure to be honest. As I said I didn't really took that class seriously. I can only say that there are techniques that can work you just have to look for them.

Spaced repetition

Mnemonics and nootropic substances.

Underrated

Method of loci, being one of the more 'popular' methods.

Stop cramming and start legitimately exercising the knowledge you want to retain

This. I brought the temple to my own home with TempleOS and I haven't felt better in decades.

Sometimes I'll just write stuff on my johnson.

My imagination has been shit-tier since sometime before I became a teenager. I have basically zero visualization ability. I've tried dem dank buds and it didn't make a difference. Anyone have suggestions for regaining this ability in the first place or am I fucked?

this, repeated repetition

A strong point to make here is physical health. Soda and over intake of sugar is linked to dementia and dropping those habits will have immediate health benefits. More sleep, more water, and green vegetables

Cramming is shit tier learning

>i cant remember if my memory improvement classes helped or not

Alpha Brain bro. It's all you need. Alex Jones sells a magic cognition pill also too now.

Not when you are forced to learn shit you don't care about but even then, simply cheating is the better option.

Empty your mind, then open your mind, proceed to acknowledge any thoughts that pass through your mind whether rational or ridiculous, embrace these thoughts and build upon them,build your imagination up from the nothingness that embodies it now.

When is the moment when you gain knowledge, maybe struggle a bit with tit and the moment you can transfer this particular knowledge on any problem? What's your opinion? When is this 'transformation'?

Being neuroscientist I would say that there are no proven ways (you can also check on google scholar, which is more bullshit free than the rest of the internet. I did a fast search and didn't find anything)
I think the basic problems are
1) We don't know how or where memories are stored in the brain, probably in some diffused way.
2) Hippocampus is needed to retrieve your memories.
You should at least find a way to both boost hippocampal memory retrieval, and to boost memory acquisition.
There are some ways you can use in the laboratory to increase long term plasticity, but I would say they are a bit invasive and definitely not to do outside a lab. Also no study is checking for memory in a really long time span, like months.

I also agree with this, even if it doesn't improve your memory it should generally make your brain physiology run smoother. Sleep especially, and the real one, little naps have no real benefit for your brain, you're just tricking it into believing that sleep have done is work.

FLASH CARDS AND REPETITION.

Everything that I've ever done repeatedly I remember for the long-run. Whether I remember something that I didn't repeat in the long-run is random it seems as what gets stored.

If there is one thing the jews got right (I am a jew don't worry), it's that repetition is the key to memory. Repetition repetition repetition.

It might be annoying, it might be boring, but it fucking works. I can to this day tell you things verbatim that I was forced to memorize as a child. You know why? Because we were forced to learn by repetition.

Regularly use your short-term memory.

Being a neuroscientist who actually keeps up with the field, vagus nerve stimulation is showing a lot of promise.

A good book on memory improvement is "Moonwalking with einstein" by Joshua Foer

Doesn't that cause vasovagal syncope?

stop drinking caffeine, finish the caffeine detox process, come up with a caffeine regulation plan so that you don't overdo your caffeine intake, and get some good sleep

being a casual scum i have read that memories are not stored but recreated every time a memory is requested

>How do I improve my long-term memory?

why tell you? You'll most likely forget it

1-dual n-back task, do it for 1hour a day for a month and you will improve LTM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-back

2-you're stupid, STM only lasts a few seconds

3-you cant improve your memory
but you can certainly improve your retention
stop cramming you fucking moron

you would think on Veeky Forums people would at least take 5 seconds to google things before posting completely baseless opinions

there's a single mice study that used doses of up to 90mg/kg caffeine that showed caffeine impaired long term memory. literally every other study, including human studies, showed either no effect or a positive effect on long term memory from realistic doses of caffeine.

dude Veeky Forums is literally middle schoolers, even youtube comments have higher scientific literacy

Forget what?

exactly

This. Create networks in your mind of knowledge you've acquired. Information is much more likely to stick if you've connected it to previously stored information, and will stick longer when they have relevance.

I used to pick up chicks with that shit, but frankly it's of no help at all to remember anything but trivial information.
First you have to work a bit in advance to remember a list of 10 words, associated to the numbers 0 to 9, and really burn it into your memory.
Then when you try to remember a new list of words you associate it with the base words that you learned in advance, and that way you can remember pretty much anything. Even more than 10 elements because then you can start cycling.

>My short-term meory is quite strong (I am good at cramming), but my LTM is really shit.
I really doubt that. Or rather, everyone's LTM is """""shit""""" unless you have some sort of savant disorder. The only thing that will get things for sure into your LTM is repetition, and using the knowledge.
So, do regular math/physics problems to keep the formulas fresh in your mind.
I guarantee your teachers remember jack shit about the classes they aren't teaching.

process, location, visuals, & concurrency

What was that thing again? It looks like ___, I use it to ___, after ___ing, but before ___ing. To access it, I have to turn it clockwise to get it off the ___ , in the ___, to the left of the ___.

The more likely other neurons are firing around it, the more likely you'll remember it. So connect that shit up!

By believing it will improve and by filtering old preconceptions about how your mind works or how it doesn't, just empty your mind - wait, see results when you do basic stuff and complex stuff completely devoid of prejudices.. and notice a difference - from that point discover that subconscious mind cannot make difference between real world and fictional ideas - just simply believe in something that can be beneficial strongly with all your mental power.

METHOD OF LOCI
E
T
H
O
D

O
F

L
O
C
I