Is 26 too old to attend a university?

Is 26 too old to attend a university?

No.

Better a late bloomer than a forever nothing

It is never too late to learn

Lots of older people attend university, in there 30s And 40s etc. Don't sweat it. I'm 27 and i don't feel out of place at all. Although, some students seem a little immature it really isn't a big deal.

Just choose something you have a passion for and befriend your professors. You'll be alright user.

I started late because i was a NEET for many years

So what, don't let the insecure meme cunts get to you

same here niggah gonna be 28 first year comp sci

think of it this way, we gonna be 35 either way you wanna be an educated 35yo with a year or two in a field or just a shlumbum that didnt make it

28yr old undergraduate engineering student reporting in.

Definitely not.

You will probably have to deal with pretty immature people at the start, which will make you feel quite old, but it will get better as you move along. I'd even say you have better chances to succeed than those around you because you most likely have your priorities in order.

Try to avoid the idiots and pick the guys that actually get shit done and are not total asshats as friends, if you even want some friends.

This, with even the slightest maturity and drive you'll walk in and ace everything while young idiots fail because they're worried about call of duty

27 Year old mathfag reporting

PhD student in my 3rd year in the UK. I'm almost 32.

I'll be 27 and in third year of undergraduate Physics next year...

It's not ideal, but fuck it m8, it's not like you're going to get *younger* so just do it, it's not that bad.

No, if anything you'll do better.

Would companies hire an older student for internships?

Why wouldn't they? They only care if you can do the work.

There was a guy I know that literally was in jail for like 3 years when he was 17. Started school after that, now works at a top tier company.

This

27 years old.
6 Classes left to graduate

I've been going to college off and on for 10 years.

This. I'm 24 going back to school and holy shit things are 10 times easier than they were a few years ago. I was shit at mathematics all growing up, and in high school. That shit is cake now.

I've always found self-plagiarism to be bullshit. Is it good practice? No. Should it be punished? Also no.

the biggest problem you'll run into is that you're often irritated at all these children talking in the back of class and disrupting the lectures you're trying to listen to.

i got some pretty dirty looks when i shushed them, but it was worth it.

Last time I saw this picture on Veeky Forums someone explained that the primary purpose of it is to avoid some asshole publishing essentially the same paper repeatedly to look busy, without leaving a citation trail to make it obvious that the new paper is not remotely novel.

That being said, it's pretty helpful to have the citation trail intact for others reading your work to trace the history of the ideas, even when they are entirely your own.

hey op do you have gray hair yet

some of us had grey hair in high school

what's your point?

With some exceptions: yes.

Is it wrong for me as a young student (22) to dislike really old undergrad students (>40)? Mainly because we're all studying to get into a competitive industry and it just seems shit that some 50yo women who will retire in 10 years after taking her long service leave, would get a job over a 20 something with an entire career ahead of them, literally some 40 years to give.
The thing is, companies in this industry (mining) would probably go out of their way to employ and older women as well considering how diverse it would make them look, even if they don't perform well academically.
Meanwhile a young person is left unemployed.

Honestly, yes, you're an asshole for thinking that way. But the sad thing is you're not alone. Ageism is very prevalent in the programming industry, for example.

Why does it matter that they're retiring in 20 years? That's a good long career in a field. Even 10 is good. Honestly, how long do you think you'll be staying at a single company?

I don't understand why young people would be more deserving of a job. If the old person is more qualified, then tough shit. Didn't you guys get your degree at the same time? Why are they so much smarter than you? Are you retarded?

I'm not saying people should only get one shot in life but if you find yourself in uni at 50yo, its unlikely you succeeded in getting yourself where you wanted to be in earlier life. Its great that they would strive to get to where they want to be later in life and to expand their knowledge, but ultimately, if they get employed over countless other younger grads, aren't they helping to doom people to their own self made fate?

I suppose its compounded by discriminatory employment practices where an old women with bad grades would be preferenced over a young male with perfect grades, that makes resentment justified in my opinion. And yes, this absolutely is a thing in many industries today.

I am not saying that 1:1 a younger person is more deserving, and its not a case by case thing, I am thinking about it on the larger scale. With aging populations, it doesn't help to be jepordising young peoples careers, like we do in so many ways.

are you a gook or a curry nigger? you sound like a beta male.
a young pretty white girl will always be hired over the straight-a dork.
any attractive female is a valuable item in the ugly freak world of stem.

Are you a massive faggot? My friend's mom started UCLA at 50 and is now at a top ten medical school.

if you cant figure out how to press your advantages, then you deserve to be shit out of the marketplace you whining little self-entitled millenial piece of crap

I've seen people with white hair in classrooms
There's nothing wrong with having a love for learning
You'll probably appreciate it better than most kids fresh out of highschool
So it's definitely worth it (if you want to get a degree for some job you want to do)
But if you're just looking for moer knowledge I wouldn't blow a bunch of money on tuition
You can learn a lot for free on the internet

nah man, most people I know in my university are around that age range as junior level students. Sure you'll be somewhat older but I know plenty of people who are in their 30's finishing up their undergrad.

I'm majoring in IT and personally I always love old people in the classroom
They talk about the old computers and how they used to work on them and how they worked
very cool

I am a fairly normal student with better then average grades and a exceptional extracurricular involvement. But this still doesn't guarantee me employment.

No. Stop bein a scared cunt. However it is evident you're just wasting time by being apprehensive

Getting work is based solely on personal motives and ambitions. Buying an education is just a form of earning a seat at certain tables for desirable companies or careers

i started at 33, im 34 now, doing good

Found the butthurt baby boomer

>guarantee me employment
you just don't learn, do you?
nope, ive got a sweet job, had no trouble outcompeting dozens of younger guys for it, either, despite the fact that I am almost 15 years older than the average.

im just right, and pointing it out to the little shit. I certainly wont raise my two kids to be so entitled, it's a recipee for disaster and misfortune

I was NEET for 3 years before starting my degree.

if you're in the US you should probably look at it in terms of financial payoff.

are you going to make more money during the remainder of your working years because of your degree?

more money than you paid for the degree?

more money than if you had not paid for the degree and instead spent 4+ years trying to improve your career?

the reason you do it young is because after a certain point the cost exceeds the payoff. You're only going to be working so long. You're still pretty young though. If you wait for your 30's or 40's it becomes less useful unless you need it to advance, or can go to school for free, or can work full time while going to school.

doing well*

I'm thinking of going next year and I'll be 27 by then.

And the only thing I am worried about is the fresh meat right off high school who just came to study because it is to be expected in this society so I could end up being the only one in class really caring about learning the thing and doing well.

The thought that there are other "late bloomers" only calms me and gives me hope.

This thread gives me hope.

Yes.

Go party at the nursing home, old man.

thanks brah, i was writing sloppily, and english is my 3rd language

No
No one will bat an eyelid. Lots of people go back to get additional degrees and make more money

newp. i went back at 20, 22, 24 and 28 (mental health isues; depression, adhd) 28 was the magic number for me. Doing math now which i was previously terrified of and bad at. So far it is going exceptionally well.

How did you find strength to try again so many times after failing?

26 is fine. My relativity professor started at 26 and he's a ducking genius, also works at cern.
When thinking about questions like this one you should compare going to uni with the alternatives available to you, not to things you can't do like go back in time and start younger.

Did you tell them about your problems/did they ask?

I've been a NEET for a while and have some problems myself, but also want to get started on a degree. The uni I wanna get into interviews some applicants, and I fear that they'll ask what I've been doing, and answering truthfully might just destroy any (very slight) chances I might have.

Some people recognize that failure literally doesn't matter.

No, it's not. If your parents are alive to provide for you it's never late.

>f your parents are alive to provide for you it's never late.
Leech.

So? Studying and working sucks, user. Don't be silly.

This.

I'm 25 going back for a CS degree and this is pretty much my reasoning. The pay you will get from a job that you get because of your university credentials will far outstrip the money you would be making in a mediocre 40k blue collar job or a shitty retail job.

Graduating at 29/30 isn't that big of a deal compared to 22, especially when you consider that the current retirement age of 65 is unsustainable (with regards to pensions and all that)

I don't get this meme. I went to a university open day last week and the lecturer actually said "18 is too young". 18 year olds just fuck around and don't really know what to do with their life. Sure you have the occasional driven Veeky Forums autist who would dispute this but that's a rarity. In any case I strongly believe that if they had spent a few years int eh adult world paying bills and mortgages they wouldn't be so quick to jump into jobless BS such as physics.

If you're doing a decent degree any work on the side can hamper you, especially if it's not well paid and you're struggling to pay for things.

i left the military and started college at 26, its fantastic, everyone is much more stupid, easy to manipulate, etc. and if you have a car, some decent money, and confidence you will have 18 year old girls throwing themselves at you nonstop

Not in stem coz lol girls in stem

>you will have 18 year old girls throwing themselves at you nonstop

a man with straight priorities

Well, I'm 24. I started about with 21. It's the average norm in Germany atleast this age.
In the end I had a lot "older" people in my classes; odd enough those were the ones who took studying serious and were the best in the end.

I heard a few girls about my age shittalking about "older students" like 'At some point they just have to grow up' or 'They are too old to attend University LOL'. I just thought for myself this bitch doesn't understand the value of education and life at all.

TLDR; Few stupid people are trying for whatever reason to shittalk people which are older. In the end, the older ones excel almost anything while the younger ones struggle. So far my experience.

It's never - I mean really never - too late for education and some career change.

FUCK YOU
This was literally my fucking plan.
Shitty WO thought I was "too young" and should spend a year doing volunteer work.
Pretty sure it's because my last name is Irish though.

No, you fucking retard.

>this
People always ask me what I want to do in life, but since I've come to the realization that nothing really take priority over anything in this world, I just lie to them and keep to myself the fact that I really have no goal in life other than to live a happy life. Though that goal is vague, there are many paths in life and expecting someone to plot out their life decisions from a young age is really naive considering the fact that anything can happen in life.

So what should I study if I want to be happy in life?
If happiness can't be found in career, what career path would allow you and your family to live comfortably while allowing you enough spare time to explore other pursuits of happiness?

Here and I was going to make a thread for this but this seems appropriate. 28 years old. Left highschool many years ago.

I'm interested in attending college but I have a major problem. After checking to see what kind of math I remember from school i'm shocked to find that stuff around the pre algebra level and lower is new and hard for me to do..

Whats more is i'm not sure exactly what math i'm supposed to know to be on equal footing with the average highschool graduate. I'm at a loss for what I should be studying. The GED math is laughable compared to even the easiest stuff that highschool was teaching so it isn't enough to get me ready for college unfortunately.

Probably the most frustrating problem of all is that I have very weak study skills. At the end of my study sessions I have barely learned anything despite struggling to understand what I am trying to learn. It's a very serious problem because even if I am caught up enough to attend college I fear my studying skills will cause me to fall behind in my class because i'm not learning fast enough to keep up. So i'm fearful of even trying to attend because i'm worried i'll pay a lot of money for college and end up failing it because of this problem.

Does it have to be a career path? There are many paths in life, some are shoved in yoir face while others are simply latent and often missed. It's good example of functional fixedness actually.

go to a junior college and take a math placement test. don't try to work problems backwards to get the answers, just see what you remember. start where it places you.

DO ALL THE DAMN PROBLEMS IN THE BOOK.

tuition will be damn cheap, and you can catch up in a year or two. reevaluate from there.

>woman
>understanding education in the first place

Yes, they won't even accept you.
Try the retirement home, grandpa.

I'm 21 and you are a huge faggot

bump

if you want comfortability and security for your family, yeah pretty much

wow, much science, impressive math!

this isn't your blog, read the sticky, gb2 /b/ or /r9k/ or whatever shithole you climbed out of, I hope you get hit by a car - the board would be better off for it.

Going to be 30 when I graduate with a BMgt/BEng (EE) because of a combination of NEET, psychosis and having a BA.

Good luck OP in your studies.

It's the difference between getting up again and try again instead of giving up.

>what path would allow you and your family to live comfortably while allowing you enough spare time to explore other pursuits of happiness?
convert to mormonism and go missionary in south america

I dropped out at 19 and will be finally going back at 25. It really shouldn't be a problem. Just do you best to avoid those fresh out of highschool, unless they're serious.

How old is too old to want to get into medicine? I fucked up my bachelors GPA but I did well on my final year of my first degree, especially my undergrad research project. Is it a bad idea for me to ever return to school to do a year of honours in immunology research so I can get into medicine? I'm 25 now.

Do it faggot

No, I had classmates that were 60.

It's worth it as long as you study something with a good return on investment like computer science.

Of course. Hell I was a cad monkey for 5 years before going back to school for engineering. I was hired on as an Engineer II because I wasn't a newfag and knew how to work a project.

Pic related.

60 y/o guy with tops, 8 teeth, just graduated from UC San Diego with a BS in Physics. Didn't perform ahead of the curve, by any means, but considering he looked like a homeless pirate on a bicycle, I was impressed(yes, I judge people by how they look and pronounce words with an 's' or two). He only wanted to be able to teach high school physics (probably to get laid, amirite), so I think it worked out fine. I hope he'll find a way to get new teeth first, unless high school kids are into that kind of thing nowadayz....

CAL/UCLA massive reject faggot detected. I went to UC Irvine to save an hour drive back to LA. I was a transfer reject - only got into Irvine/Davis/SD.

I've tutored people who were in their 50s and later, and my only two friends in community college were adults, one 40s and one 50s (the latter was a blind teacher). The 40s was a milf from Peru, probably the only reason I stayed in CC.

Uni's student body is far younger. Go to a CC first if you can, for money, and non-normieness of it. Uni culture is so trash, if you weren't brainwashed into supporting it, you will hate it. My CC was better in pretty much every way, though I've heard the CC is one of the best.

One of my lab partners last semester was a younger adult (30s) with a daughter and job, going for his MS. Couldn't program as well as me, so our last assignment was almost entirely me, but he was there every time we programmed, and he organized and did documents well, so it was a very good fit for me. He used to be a navy technician.

>in a freshman Geography course (I'm 25 - transfer)
>some faggot playing DOTA before class
>surely this won't continue when the teacher starts...
>kid continues playing CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
>move, still hear it
>ask him to stop, he looks like I just told him I was going to fuck his mouth until he died

Average age of Doctorate is 31-32 m8.

Wrong on two counts, must have been those amazing critical thinking skills that got you rejected.
>> Did not apply to CAL.
>>Got into UCLA, chump.

because you knew cal would reject you?

Just do it. Don't give a fuck over autistic elitist teens.

nope.

I'm also a 28 year old first year Comp Sci student, pay no never mind to the children in the your courses. Half of them won't make it or will fuck around and be gone after one semester. The other half will do well enough and few will do really well. Get to know your prof's, if they offer office hours, attend them and be prepared with questions regarding the course. Outright ask how to get an A on any assignment. Few professors approach education with a gatekeeper's philosophy, most will be excited to discuss the course and help you in any way.

Now I don't feel so bad that I studied for an extra year