Natural philosophy

Why are fields like Psychology, Social Science, Economics not considered to be "real" sciences - like the "hard" sciences Physics, Biology, Chemistry?

They are systems of thought where you can come up with hypotheses, devise experiments, make observations from those experiments that support or refute your hypotheses. So, why aren't they real science? Is it because the experiments are based on complex behavior of people? Physics/Biology experiments are also based on behavior of complex systems?

Not trolling, really want to know.

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-replicated-100-psychology-studies-and-fewer-half-got-same-results-180956426/?no-ist
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They don't undergo the same rigorous standards. Particularly Sociology and shit like that. One big Leftist circlejerk.

what standards? they publish their research in peer reviewed journals, just like the hard sciences

>They are systems of thought where you can come up with hypotheses, devise experiments, make observations from those experiments that support or refute your hypotheses. So, why aren't they real science? Is it because the experiments are based on complex behavior of people? Physics/Biology experiments are also based on behavior of complex systems?

Little to no experiments are done in these fields except maybe psychology.

Peer review means little if it's a circle jerk. These areas can't fulfill the standards of the scientific method.

Case-in-point:
smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-replicated-100-psychology-studies-and-fewer-half-got-same-results-180956426/?no-ist

If a study can't be accurately replicated, that's a problem because nobody has any idea if what you are claiming is true or not. Or whether you made it up.

Just because something isn't a science doesn't mean it has no value. It just means it is foolish to claim it is a science to try to add validity to it. To me, that reeks of something not being right if you are trying to hide behind the respected wall of science.

Psychology/Sociology: dont be a literal autist and you will understand their studies before they confirm them (or disconfirm them, it's a joke)

Social Science: Sounds like some bullshit that would make Russian physicists cross water with chocolates and wine to get away from the Iron Curtain.

Economics: 101 summed: you can only make so many guns or so many butters. Literally a make-up-as-you-go meme degree. The only legitimite business degree would be Accounting.

As I've heard, it is a normal thing in universities already among students
>one student claims one thing
>successfully backs it up with experiments
>other student claims a completely contradictory thing to first student
>still successfully backs it up with experiments

I'm still going to study psychology next year because I want to know and understand what the fuck is going on in that field.

>physics
>real science
kek

Mathematical economics can be a very legitimate subject.

Although I really wish they would stop trying to use mathematics to create targets for government operation, based on the ideas of James Buchanan. He is a faggot.

>Psychology, Social Science, Economics
Part of the problem is these have strong political implications, which makes it hard to take any results seriously without suspecting political motives.

The other problem is the severe OCD nature of physicists. Any natural process that isn't 100% reproducible in an absolute sense just rubs their fur the wrong way.

What is political about learning, decision making, and perception, to name a few subfields of psychology?

Maybe not psychology but social sciences are very politicised.

> Mathematical economics can be a very legitimate subject.

"a religion with equations" -Y.V.

as is Political Science :)

maybe claims made by these pseudo-sciences are not falsifiable, so they can't be real sciences

pic related

Having a school of thought is a religion?
Pretty edgy desu

for starters about 1/3rd of all social science studies are unable to be reproduced
second, there is always political bias involved in the data, research, or results
last, it is a super easy field to be in, almost impossible to fail out of school for, and because of that it is full of bullshit

not me, it's a funny quote from Yanis Varoufakis (who knows a thing or two about econ)

Because those guys get laid.

>(who knows a thing or two about econ)
>SYRIZA

Philosophy done properly can't strictly be called science, as it lacks a fully empirical basis. That doesn't mean it isn't useful.

Social science and psychology are definitely science. Unfortunately, they are often done very poorly and without regard for the scientific method. Hence the negative reputation.