So I live in the US, and it is pretty standard for everyone to have a Texas Instruments calculator for Algebra onward

So I live in the US, and it is pretty standard for everyone to have a Texas Instruments calculator for Algebra onward.

Are TI calculators popular in other countries?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/g6jQVqkpjc8
youtu.be/zoGl8-Wc-L0
amazon.com/Casio-fx-115ES-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B007W7SGLO
amazon.com/Canon-F-792SGA-Scientific-Calculator-CANON/dp/B009FFPEH0
amazon.com/Sharp-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator-EL-W516XBSL/dp/B004J6GSXE/
amazon.com/Casio-FX-991EX-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B00ZZ93346
youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not where I'm from. We aren't even allowed to have these on most exams.

Are they expensive in other countries? It seems like they'd be even more expensive.

Yeah, they are. They're also pretty fucking useless because everyone owns a computer. The only reason they make them is probably so that americans can use them on exams.

when i did engineering, we used HPs, mostly HP48 series.

when i went back and had to take a stats course for 2nd degree, there was a specific TI we were recommended that did all the area under the gaussian curve math for stats

do not agree TI is the US standard, but is popular in easier majors.

This. You spend literally ~$100 on something you'll use for baby calc exams then never use again.

>and it is pretty standard for everyone to have a Texas Instruments

No, all the kool kidz used Casio. The nerds imported the HP one's from Poland because it has the best kurwa or something geeky like that.

Here people prefer Casio.
Yes they fucking are and since forever, despite having computers with Internet everywhere.

I'm speaking out of experience in high school and the few math classes required for my major (I only need 9 hours). They've all required TI calculators, so I meant they're more standard for less advanced math.

>doing math that you can do on a calculator

Disgusting

I think TI has some presence here in munich so thats probably why many people here use it. Im kinda happy with my casio though...

I actually heard Casio are much more intuitive than TI. Plus they're a lot cheaper. I wish my classes utilized them instead.

I use my TI all the time when it's too inconvenient to use Python or MATLAB

Also, what kind of fucking calc class lets you use any calculator besides a scientific?

Yes. Especially CAS type calculators, becouse they are allowed in tests.

I'm pretty sure my school makes money off of TI because they are the only calculators allowed.

Yeah, like they do with text books...

It's a meme calculator but yes.

the only class that I've taken in university that allowed me to use a calculator was Chemistry.
For Physics, Calc 2, and LinAlg/DiffEq, the work was too theoretical to actually require a calculator.
I did use a Ti 84 Silver II +c for my AP Calc AB in HS though.

In my case till I transfer, fuckin Pearson.

We (German state wherr a CAS were mandatory from the 7th year of school) used the TI-nspire. Before that they used the voyage 200, which was considered rather great and everyone in form 7-9 played with them. Vayage 200 was 180 € or maybe less, our first gen TInspire was 130 €. We needed them for most exams ever since we got them, but were also told right away that they will very likely mot be permitted after school, if needed at all.

Samefag: In uni most people have a casio which can solve, but we are not allowed to use them, only calculators without a storage function (in 2 modules, I study chemistry btw). There were some questions where you had to multiply large numbers etc. but actual math classes explicitly forbade any kind of calculator.

>Brazil

Most people attending university for some STEM course use either a Casio FX-82 or FX-991ES Plus in the first few years as it is cheap and easily available.

Later years the HP-50g is the preferred one depending on what you're doing, but especially engineering.

Not all classes allow them either. They're mostly used when you have to do number crunching which would be extremely tedious by hand or something very specific.

I'm pretty far up the rungs of science and never need anything more than a TI-30. If I want to do graphing I have Wolfram on my PC.

most people use casio here. TIs are very rare

If you don't have a CAS tool you're shit. It's not necessary, but it's damn good to have one.
(Most people here use either mathcad, maple or the TI-nSpire CAS software... Personally I use the handheld TI-nSpire CAS software along with the handheld unit for small problems)

>Casio FX-82
only calc you ever need

got mine in highschool, and used it thru university, and still use it today.

You can get a 115es+ or 991ex for essentially the same price.

I can probably pay a guy to hit me in the face with his cock multiple times for the same price as well, doesnt mean I would choose that over a fx82.

>not using NSPIRE CX CAS master race

Theyre nice for matrix algebra. No one wants to do that shit by hand.

Casio is the standard here as well. Some people use citizen calculators too. I've never even heard of a "texas instruments" calculator honestly.
>$100
Holy shit, basic scientific calculators cost around 40 bucks here, 100-150 are the ones which can draw graphs, but they're useless since you can do that on your phones now.

Related:

youtu.be/g6jQVqkpjc8

youtu.be/zoGl8-Wc-L0

>using American-made trash
what do you think?

>basic scientific calculators cost around 40 bucks here
wat

there like $10 on amazon

When I was in high school, the TI-83 plus was the standard. I got an 86 though just to be different. It's served me well.

If it stops working I'll probably replace it with a Casio now that TI is switching to rechargeable batteries like a phone.

>Forget to calculator
>Dies in middle of exam

we are only allowed to use calculators on physics exams, but that's because you can't derive formulas on a calculator.

I am a Burger, I definitely prefer the Casio 9750GII, over even the more fraction-oriented TI calculators. They're just so garbage to use
>insert (like keyboard) is default action, not adding another character
>only the more expensive TIs can do dy/dx on the trace
>can graph x=, y=, r=, and parametric at the same time
>$50
>most functions are in more sensible places, though matrices are a pain

Everything is cheaper on the internetz, you pay for the customer service :^), but honestly I haven't seen a scientific calculator for under $30, except the cheap ones without matrices, integrals and/or complex numbers. And cheap stuff online has questionable quality.

> I haven't seen a scientific calculator for under $30, except the cheap ones without matrices, integrals and/or complex numbers
so you have seen one for under $30

It's not a scientific one that suits my needs. What makes a calculator "scientific" exactly?

Minimum requirements for a calculator to be scientific:
>scientific notation
>floating point arithmetic
>logarithmic functions, using both base 10 and base e
>trigonometric functions (some including hyperbolic trigonometry)
>exponential functions and roots beyond the square root
>quick access to constants such as pi and e

Pearson forces us to purchase a homework pass for each class

Fuck it all

TI-36x Pro

Can we say this is good me going into engineering?

> I haven't seen a scientific calculator for under $30

amazon.com/Casio-fx-115ES-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B007W7SGLO
Price: $13.99

amazon.com/Canon-F-792SGA-Scientific-Calculator-CANON/dp/B009FFPEH0
Price: $15.00

amazon.com/Sharp-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator-EL-W516XBSL/dp/B004J6GSXE/
Price: $15.50

amazon.com/Casio-FX-991EX-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B00ZZ93346
Price: $19.90

All of them
>Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

You may find this interesting

youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0