How do I know what I want to study/have as a career in university?

How do I know what I want to study/have as a career in university?

I studied mechanical engineering and I studied computer science for a couple semesters each; and I want to change my subject one final time, because it was always my deepest wish to study, but apparently I didn't find my passion yet.

How did you guys find your study subject and became happy with it?

I'm in a similar situation. Did some courses in Computer science and computer engineering, and can't make up my mind over what I will focus on

just remember though, think with your brain, not pockets. Pockets will always be taken care of

>How did you guys find your study subject and became happy with it?

Since high school I was really into programming to the point that by my senior year I knew more than the usual computer science grad so the way I saw it I just wanted to get a degree to become a professional, have higher 'hireability' and to be supported by my parents 4 more years.

Then I made list and chose my major by process of elimination.

[insert business-type degree]: Absolutely disgusting. CROSS

[insert art-type degree]: Absolutely disgusting and degenerate. CROSS

CS: Would be like being 15 again and starting from 0. CROSS

Chemistry/biology: Memorizing is for faggots. CROSS

Physics: Good enough, but I really do not want to do labs and any kind of manual labor. CROSS

Engineering: Good enough, but I really do not want to do labs and any kind of manual labor. CROSS

Mathematics: MY NIGGA

Then I got myself a book on calculus and linear algebra to teach myself on the final months of my senior year in high school and I was not half bad. It even got pretty fun.

Then I stopped posting on /g/ and migrated to Veeky Forums full time and by that time the deal was sealed.

Mathematics.

See? It only took me like 7 months. EZ PZ.

how the fuck did you learn as much as a cs undergrad in high school?

I started at 15 and I took it pretty seriously. School was too easy so I downloaded PDFs and brought them to school, just like I did later with math. I learned java entirely while reading in class, but by that time I already knew plenty of theory and programming languages.

That said, I do not know really as much as a CS undergrad, but in terms of programming skill I certaninly.

An interesting /g/ story happened when a guy with a masters degree in computer science made a thread about how he applied for a job and had a java test to see if he really knew his shit. He then described one of the problems as

'Write a program that takes a positive integer N as a input and then prints a triangle of asterisks made of N lines of asterisks'

The guy said that he could not even get through this and completely gave up on the test, haunted by his lack of skill. I was one of the first to see the thread and in about 3 minutes I had a working program written in C, not pleb-java, fucking C and I posted it acting as smug as I have ever been.

Since that moment I declared myself to be superior to any CS major and studying CS would have been a terrible mistake.

By the way, this little incident was recorded a meme but I never saved it, I was too busy acting smug and cool.

post program or gtfo

Did you know that people learn this in the first week of a CS intro class.

>by my senior year I knew more than the usual computer science grad
So you still don't know jack shit about programming nor CS I take it?

I don't even have a compiler on me right now topkek.

Could bust out notepad++ and do it ez pz though.

One person posts on /g/ and you consider yourself 'top level'. Perhaps it is about term you learnt what anecdotal evidence is, and why it isn't admissible in court.

Here it is.

#include

int main() {
int n,amount;

while(n==NULL || n%2==0)
std::cin >> n;

amount = 1;
for(int i = 0; i < n; i++) {

for(int u = 0; u < (n-i)-1; u++)
std::cout

>The guy said that he could not even get through this and completely gave up on the test, haunted by his lack of skill. I was one of the first to see the thread and in about 3 minutes I had a working program written in C, not pleb-java, fucking C and I posted it acting as smug as I have ever been.
I was in that thread and I was the guy who wrote the Python one liner.

Just because you can write fizzbuzz tier scripts doesn't you were on that CS grads level, he probably knows a lot more about actual useful programming. Faggot.

ChemE btw.

I've always known more or less what I wanted to do. Actually wrote it down as one of those "what do you want to be when you grow up" questions in my primary school year books, obviously before I knew the real extent of the profession.

The more I learned about the different disciplines in high-school the more my I affirmed my preference.

Every single aptitude test I ever took told the same thing: engineering first followed by research scientist etc.

When I actually applied to university I had ChemE with Physics as my backup choice. I briefly considered double majoring in physics in my freshman year, but in the end I'm really glad I didn't. The disciplines that are the most interesting to me was covered in far more depth in ChemE and staying with one major for 4 years allowed me to study it more deeply. I'm in grad-school now and even though I'm studying and enjoying a lot of other fields in math and physics, my passion for ChemE is still several orders higher than for anything else.

Anyway good luck with your shit OP. At this point just flip coins or something.

Also consider fields outside of STEM too you might find your passion there.

Also if you're studying STEM for a job it doesn't matter anyway, just pick one, it's all going to suck for you.

>I was in that thread and I was the guy who wrote the Python one liner.

But python is gay.

>ChemE btw.

Adds up.

>Just because you can write fizzbuzz tier scripts doesn't you were on that CS grads level

And in this thread I haven't claimed that. I just said I was superior to that guy.

My original claim was that I was at least at the undergrad level... and I was.

>But python is gay.
...motherfucker...
[code]
>#include
>int main() {
>int n,amount;
>while(n==NULL || n%2==0)
>std::cin >> n;
>amount = 1;
>for(int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
>for(int u = 0; u < (n-i)-1; u++)
>std::cout for(int o = 0; o < amount; o++)
>std::cout amount +=2;
>std::cout }
>return 0;
>}
[/code]

That's all I have to say about that comment.

>Adds up.
There is literally nothing homo about knowing how to produce high quality nano additive slip agents for superior lubes.

>I just said I was superior to that guy.
So by
>by my senior year I knew more than the usual computer science grad so
> the usual computer science grad
You actually meant
>I'm better at spewing out toy scripts than this one faggot on /g/

>[code]

This is not /g/, unfortunately. We should have code tags here too though.

>You actually meant

Probably.

>one guy fucked up at interview
>LOL ALL CS MAJOR MUST BE STUPID, I AM SO GUD XDD

I bet you don't even know about complexity theory or can even measure the duration of an algorithm boi.

>complexity theory
nope

> measure the duration of an algorithm

If you mean the growth then yes.

If you claim that you have at least the knowledge of a CS undergraduate,you would know that in certain areas python is superior to C++ and vice-versa.
Additionally you would also know that the discussing the superiority of a given programming language without stating what are you going to use this language for is foolish behavior.

import java.util.Scanner;

public class ScannerDemo {
public static void main(String args[]) {
Scanner check = new Scanner(System.in);
if (check.hasNextInt()) {
int g = check.nextInt();
for (int i = 0; i < g; i++) {
for (int z = 0; z

>This is simply not difficult.

You did it wrong nigga.

Tested it on an online java compiler

Your output for input 3:

That looks like a half triangle, not a triangle. All of the rows should be centered.

Or maybe that online compiler is shit but I double checked on a second onliner compiler and it also shows the half triangle.

Looks like you don't get that job either m8. Triangles are too hard for you.

triangle has three sides. this has three sides.
Should be centered(was that part of the task?)

Somehow a lot kids like you drop out in CS degrees in Germany because they know a bit coding and some xy know-how about recent technology news.
Real CS degrees are not about programming but about the mathematical application and methods.

In the end you're just the next paid codemonkey for 17$.

>(was that part of the task?
Oh, I didn't describe that. My bad.

Run my example and see how it looks, but I also made a mistake when I posted. This is the actual thing:

#include

int main() {
int n,amount;

while(n==NULL)
std::cin >> n;

amount = 1;
for(int i = 0; i < n; i++) {

for(int u = 0; u < (n-i)-1; u++)
std::cout

Get of your high horse, man.
is right, you know he did the task properly.

but anyways:

import java.util.Scanner;

public class ScannerDemo {
public static void main(String args[]) {
Scanner check = new Scanner(System.in);
if (check.hasNextInt()) {
int g = check.nextInt();
for (int i = 0; i < g; i++) {
for (int k = 0; k < g - i; k++) {
System.out.print(" ");
}
for (int z = 0; z

topkek kill me, that is also wrong.

amount += 1

but in this version you don't even need an amount variable so who cares.

>But if I'm studying mathematics (and one that looks like a mix of pure and applied) then I have the benefit of coming out knowing even more math than a CS major.
>Can't lose with math.

"if if if...."

Just like ME student which are already calling themselves "Engineers" while being in the first or 2nd year.

And no, you won't. There are lot of things you don't cover as a math graduate. It's not about programming, it's about a lot of other areas as well. You might understand the mathematicaö formality but in the end you just have to work through the books like anyone else.

Almost every math grad. can atleast program in Java, R oder Python. That's a required skillset nowadays. But whatever, who knows if you even complete that degree. A lot of bigtalkers and highschoolers here which think they can explain University graduates their own subject because they think they are so superior.

Absolutely correct.
There is another thread right here. That actually asks CS questions, and noone seems to be able to answer.

>How do I know what I want to study/have as a career in university?
This is a topic that should probably belong on the /adv/ board.

Regardless, take some aptitude tests and do some soul searching and find out what really motivates you, or what you're really interested in. Be willing to maybe open your mind from what you originally considered.

I studied microbiology. Even though personally history and art interests me, I thought the job prospects would be better with a science. I also have a background in healthcare, but instead of studying medicine I decided I'd rather be doing research in a lab or something where I don't have to deal with patients.
I started out wanting to study biomedical engineering but eventually changed to microbio because I found it so fascinating. Also the college I ended up transferring to didn't offer BME.
I should say that I thought there was a lot going on with biology but I'm still struggling to find a decent job that's related, since graduating about a year ago.

You gotta consider a lot of things, it's a hard choice. Good luck OP.

Tbh I didn't think the thread will be alive until now, but I gotta thank everybody who posted sth constructive.

For me the most struggle arises from the fact that I already did two subjects that are STEM and still consider STEM. I only think that poor work ethics, inexperience and mental health issues barrier-ed me from progessing, because I don't think I'm too stupid to study.

I just want to finish a decent degree and then be happy, make a decent earning job and that's that. It wouldn't even need a MA degree for that, just a BA where I could make decent money off of.

>I just want to finish a decent degree and then be happy, make a decent earning job and that's that. It wouldn't even need a MA degree for that, just a BA where I could make decent money off of.
Anything Engineering is the way to go then.

if this isn't b8 then you're not smart enough to do well in a good CS program if you really think this

You go in with at least an idea; what you have an interest in is where you start. You'll take classes that will expose you to all of the major areas and you're supposed to be able to choose from there.

also, if you live by a university, you can just audit classes and see if its what you think its going to be

>How do I know what I want to study/have as a career in university?

How don't you?

What kind of stuff are you studying in ChemE grad? Currently starting my third year of ChemE and the choices of research focus are so fucking numerous I have no idea which one to choose! They all sound great, biochem, fluids, process optimization, there's just so many to go into!

>What kind of stuff are you studying in ChemE grad?
My research is officially in molecular dynamics of multicoponent fluidized particles, but at the moment my work is more focused on optimization and equilibria.

> biochem, fluids, process optimization
You'll get more exposure to process control in 4th year to see if it interests you, depending on the mathematical maturity of your department faculty it can be either very satisfying (and difficult) or dull. Fluids I feel are more of a MechE speciality, but it's very fun and useful. BiochemE is fuckhuge in itself and can be extremely interesting is some areas, but kind of stale and empirical in others it really depends on the focus of your department.

Are you an engineer yourself? Could you give me some insights?

I thought about machine engineering at the next university.

Do you?

Some people don't know what to study though?

I mean in school we're exposed to different subjects "Yes", but those subjects don't give much insight to the actual study subject.

>I don't know how to google things for myself if my teacher doesn't hold my dick every step of the way!

:(

How much does an engineer with a BA degree make though?

>tfw no teacher to hold my dick every step of the way

:(

You should try and find something you like in CS or mechanical engineering.

My CS content bored me to tears until i started machine learning and computer vision. Now I am actually enjoying my degree.

Brehs...