The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

good thread

Is the mitochondria's matrix symmetric?

Dark Mane memes in 2016

>mfw symmetric matrices can be diagonalized

The same face you made 3 weeks ago moving into your college dorm for the first time?

>June, almost July
>going to college for the first time 3 weeks ago

ya
so

I agree!
Feed them good :^)

What does NAD+ do?

NAD+ is said to create more mitochondrial

PQQ for mitochondrial "food" so they enjoy life or something

Or the other way around

this is a '15 meme

The correct plural form is Mitochlorians.

and they are proof that communism works.
from each according to its ability
to each according to its need
perfect commensalism in each of our cells
we should be so lucky to create that in the macro world

Why is this exact line in every bio textbook? Is it not plagiarism, or is the powerhouse meme so old that the copyright is up?

>symmetric matrices
>aka useless real-case of Hermitian matrices
>aka shitty finite-case of self-adjoint operators

Don't make me laugh.

lolololol

how many joules does one provide?

You're in a biology thread, can you think of any reason why that might not happen in human societies?

>mfw
>no picture
Hmm

In mammals, all mitochondrial DNA comes from the mother.

True or False?

Kinda.
There's some lately reserch that may proof the other way

>In mammals, all mitochondrial DNA comes from the
true

False, see sheeps.
Leaking paternal mtDNA dosen't count.

You sure about that senpai? Has there been something recently discovered (as in the past year)? I thought that most investigations found no evidence of paternal mtDNA in human embryos, and that one case of the guy with paternal mtDNA was due to some breakdown in the so-far undiscovered cellular mechanism that destroys paternal mtDNA from the sperm cell soon after fertilization.

Also, how much does science have to advance for me to pass my mitochondrial DNA onto my children instead of the mother? I have two centarians in my family (with possibly one more on the way, let's hope granny can make it to the end of the decade), with several individuals living well into their early and mid 90s as well. I know aging is influenced by a fuck-ton of different genes and cellular processes which are only somewhat understood, but it's generally accepted that mitochondria play a significant role as well. I don't want to take any chances and have my kids die before me just because some billion year old mechanism that is arbitrarily passed by one gender instead of the other causes them to receive inferior mitochondrial DNA.

Just kill yourself before they die, problem solved.

No point in doing research this way, the best we may do is using mtDNA to target mitochondrial diseases.

What are you suggesting? Using mtDNA donated from one of the parents (or whoever, I suppose) to fix genetic disorders in embryos or possibly adults? How hard would it really be to just create a donor egg from my stem cells, replace the nucleus with the mother's, and then fertilize the egg with my sperm? Fuck, that's basically the same procedure as the "three parent" fertilization method they've developed for women with mitochondrial disorders, with the added step of making an egg derived from my stem cells. Producing human eggs from male-derived stem cells is not expected to be particularly challenging, as they have done the procedure with women and men already have all the genetic information needed to make eggs sitting right there on the X-chromosome. Why can't I pay some geneticist fifteen years from now to do this for me?

chloroplast was here, mitochondria a shit

Learning...

Nuh uh

no, what kind of retarded question is that

Most of the genes coding for mitochondrial proteins are on the Autosomes.

I always found it fascinating how the prevailing theory that mitochondria were independent prokaryotic organisms that became part of eukaryotic cells through symbiosis eons ago.

Though not as mind blowing as when, in college, we had gone into archaea as a whole other kingdom from what we grouped all in as bacteria. Even had a professor who had specialized in extremophile microbes.

I remember getting so nervous for that exam with the ATP cycle.

Dunno why. It's only a critical system that allows all our cells to function and human life possible. Nothing major or anything.

It's like a nuclear power plant in the sense that it is involved in ATP production and the fact is is jam-packed with tons of pro-apoptotic proteins. Mitochondrial/intrinsic apoptosis is sort of like Chernobyl or Fukushima for a cell.

Never understood why most textbooks made them so small, like little Tic-Tacs. They cells I've seen under fluorescent microscope tend to have mitochondria that look like little threadworms.

Does that really make you live longer?

let's see ATPase turn air into sugar

i'm waiting

Firstly, most enzymes tend to catalyze reactions in one direction, secondly ATPase merely attaches inorganic phosphate groups onto ADP, and is not directly involved in the breakdown of glucose or any of the glucose-derivatives (and thus not involved in the production of metabolic CO2 or ROS).

Not ATPase, ATP synthase, sorry.

And ATPase REMOVES phosphate groups, it doesn't attach them.

Sorry, haven't slept in a while, it's affecting my reading comprehension.

strong 2.4Ghz em radiation frys mitochondria.

you're not saying anything i don't already know.

>And ATPase REMOVES phosphate groups, it doesn't attach them.
No, the protein you posted in definitely attaches phosphates, and definitely is an ATPase.

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't translate well through text. Must've misunderstood you.

I didn't post that gif, but the text does say "Mitochondrial ATP synthase" so you're not wrong about the attachment of phosphates. I was wrong when I was writing about ATPases attaching phosphates, because that is wrong. ATPases are a group of enzymes that catalyze ATP-degradation (usually through hydrolysis) into ADP (or ADP into AMP).

Who the fuck starts college in the middle of summer?

>ATPases are a group of enzymes that catalyze ATP-degradation (usually through hydrolysis) into ADP (or ADP into AMP).
They also go the other way. ATP synthases are called ATPases because the energetically favorable reaction is to remove the phosphate, even though the vast majority of their utility is in adding them.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that. I always separated the two as ATP synthase is primarily anabolic whilst classical ATPases like the NA+/K+ exchanger is catabolic.

The more you know.

Source?

>Doesn't know basics of metabolism
>Spends $OVER9000 on "food for mitochondria"

I've always wondered how the hell can people actually sell this without getting sued out the ass for false advertisement.

Finally found a fellow comrade on Veeky Forums. Come join us on leftypol on 4x2 chan

MFW I learned this a from playing parasite eve.

>useless hipster math
dont make me laugh

Why is it that every high school biology teacher used this exact wording (obviously not actually all)? I always found that kind of strange.

Is it skew-symmetric?

Good post. Also NAC.

Good post. Also, google scholar NAC (quoted wrong person so disregard that post, am drunk (vitamin C(tomato juice) mixed with NAC has some scientific .gov backing to it, but you must take NAC before and during drinking, not after))

And also not take NAC if the cancer or whatever has already consumed you, as it exaserbates it. Just read into it, dont take my word.

(NAC also helps with autism spectrums and many other benefits)

I feed my mitochondria with this.
Also scientifically proven to improve short term memory.

Improves profit margins. Just not yours, though.

>LifeExtensions
Ever noticed that people over 110 are fairly ordinary people who were neither athletes nor popped dietary supplements?

Probably due most of their diet contains much of theese substances

How do cells manage to keep such complex structures and functions when they are so fragile at human scale?

Fish flakes?

Came here to say this. Top quality fact.

Scientists have spent a LOT of effort looking into this, especially regarding diet. And the only common thing they find has zero to do with diet or with exercising or supplements or professions.

Used in oxidative phosphorylation, splits into NAD, electrons and protons

If NAD+ is reduced NAD like i think it is at least

because it's rather correct and it's easy to remember.

interesting fact: flagellar motor proteins work in a very similar way. only they use the rotation to move a flagellum instead of producing ATP

If not for diet or exercise, what did they have in common?

so you're telling me it will make me a better jedi?

A very strong sense of humour. Seriously.

He went to a high school summer camp

The fuck is this board ? asking 9th grader questions holy fuck google(dot)com

there is at least one case of a female human getting her mitochondria from her father, the mother in this case had a mitochondrial disease. It may be more common than we currently think, we typically only look at this sort of thing when there is a problem.

Interesting Fact: The leading theory is that Mitochondria used to be a completely distinct organism that just happened to find its way into our ancestors. Since then we have become the ultimate symbiotic relationship.

Mitochondria is the only reason complex life is possible so depending on how rare such an event is Earth may be one of the only worlds with complex life ever.

ATP is the energy money of the sale.

-0 World Problems

There should be a religion for the ATP cycle

Thanks for telling!!! You discovered it today user.
>>> deserves Nobel Prize

>Mitochondria is the only reason complex life is possible
:(

Because it's a food additive per US FDA regulation. It doesn't have to do anything because it's not a drug.

So basically being mentally strong?

>*record scratch*
>*freeze frame*
>Yeah, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up here

>Interesting Fact: I just got out of middle school.

Didn't that French centenarian fence, ski and whatnot a lot in her 80s

even green algae has mitochondria

According to all known laws of aviaton,
there is no way that a bee should be able to fly

>Its been two years since I graduated
>Still in CC

>So basically being mentally strong?
Coping well under stress or other aspects of mental strength would be an obvious line of inquiry but that was never stated. Only humour.

>Didn't that French centenarian fence, ski and whatnot a lot in her 80s
I never heard that. Still, if she did this at an age of 80 she would have been a youth in the immediate post war era which was well before the excesses in athleticisms we see now.

the Greeks of ancient time spake of a healthy mind in a healthy body. Today we have psyched up minds in doped up bodies. Not quite the same.

Id really like to see that time when mitochondrias merged with ancestor cells

Some bacterias trick macrophages and live inside the phagosome, it's the closest we get from seeing it.

Did anyone compare cross-species mitochondrial DNA?
how big is the difference?

I fucking laffed.
Electron carrier.

Let's see those photosystems create a proton gradient anytime the sun ain't shining.

Some bacterias around deep sea hydrothermals sources can make sugar without sunlight.