/edu/ - Education General

Post your questions, knowledge, experiences and discussions of college and education here instead of making a new thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@javier_noris/an-outline-to-learning-to-code-in-1-year-572a1a78fa62#.xtmdv95wu
csfieldguide.org.nz/
codecademy.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Architecture in both Ok and Meh tier.
>Geology above law and Microbiology
>IT codemonkeys on Unbelievable and God tiers while Philosophy is on Shit tier
Kys my man

lolno, eat shit

read the sticky,
pic up a rusty fork,
commit sudoku

Kys faggot

Philosophy as a major is shit tier. As a personal discovery is god tier.

An education general is a good idea to keep Veeky Forums clean, but don't start it like this.

.>Geophysics in both good and god tier

Ok retard

Alright m8 ill give that to you.

I mean I agree with the image for the most part, but I recognize this being sci that putting exclusively engineering majors in the top bracket is guaranteed to start some shit.

But maybe that's what you wanted.

>mathematics
>good tier
Nice meme

You sure you put engineering in the right spot?

Studying Psychology with Informatics, Physics and Mathematics. Can't decide which tier I am.

>Veterinary Med
>Beneath Biochem (Research papers: the degree)

Every fucking time this manages to rustle my jimmies. Medicine fuckers have it easy, only having to learn humans.

This doesn't belong on Veeky Forums.

People are still going to ask, and /adv/ is shit for anything. Might as well quarantine it. Tired of seeing "cs or ee" threads every hour.

>actuarial and applied math in different tiers

My man did you think before spitting your boyfriends cum into an image file, hitting save, and uploading evidence of your homosexuality on to Veeky Forums?

More than unbelievable tier if you get all the majors. Get some art too, scrub.

I guess it depends on which university/college you go to.

Econ and Finance to meh tier, Accounting to God tier

What the fuck is the difference between software engineering and computer science? I just wanna program and learn neat stuff. Or did pajeet ahmed steal all the decent jobs?
Any cs majors wanna shed some advice?

And Philosophy to Great tier, as it's a low-key strong major. Teaches you how to logic and critically/analytically think. Not the best job outlook straight out of academia, but pretty carpe dieming tho

Software engineering would be more about practical organizing and design principles and shit. CS would be about maximum Autism and algorithms and reading your SICP.

Have you read your SICP today?

So engineering is just gay file organization while CS is fun autism? Sounds easy me

And yes :^)

This is all you need to be a web code monkey. If all you want to do is web stuff a full CS is not needed.
medium.com/@javier_noris/an-outline-to-learning-to-code-in-1-year-572a1a78fa62#.xtmdv95wu
csfieldguide.org.nz/
codecademy.com/

In the US most decent schools do not have SE as a major but as a class or two within the CS degree.

I have Unbelievable tier education, yet cant find any job, because i dont like to talk to people. Great.

I think an education general is going to filter so many threads. Off the top of my head:

>What should I study?
>Studying tips?
>Best college??
>Best college for (x)
>What does a (x) major do
>Self-learning threads

Probably a lot more. So unless you want those threads (which seemingly take up 1/5 of all the threads on Veeky Forums) this general is going to filter it all. /adv/ is shit, we all know that.

What job?

That chart is fucking lame unless it add in a metric for where you go to school. We all know private school liberal arts majors land the best jobs and actually have real model girlfriends. I see a STEM dork every time I see Larry Ellison with his Ukrainian hooker girlfriend.

>putting exclusively engineering majors in the top bracket is guaranteed to start some shit.
Why would it? It's a general rating which also accounts for job and salary prospects, math/physics would agree on it.

Unless you do a lot of client-facing stuff, a lot of these things are expected to be automated by the mid-to-late 2020's...

Engineering job market is dying so maybe it should go a bit lower.

Medicine is far too low.

Fair enough.

Medicine is a terrible career. You work fucked up hours dealing with fucked up shit (and goddamn fatties) and your pay is somehow worse than other people your age until mid-career.

Lol finance>accounting

This tier list assumes run of the mill degrees?
A bit bullshitty I'd get rid of Unbelievable and move a few things from good and great up.

It isn't very good at specializations and so on

Example:
With a material science degree you could do chemical engy stuff and more.

At my school you can take classes that specialize the degree in metals, polymers, electronics, bio-materials etc. or a mix. Also there's a strong computational modeling aspect too (as with many sciences). Plus everyone needs new inventive materials so material jobs seem stable.

Personally I'm doing a Materials Undergrad and focusing on Electronic Materials and some Computational modeling.

Also a lot of jobs would be somewhat say automated in the future. So I feel like there should be more focus on compsci engineering application classes.

Well here's my wall text.

Is that a university course he was taking? I drafted shit like that in HS.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

How is actuarial science not rated at the top if all we're considering is employment/usefulness/salary?

Is it true that if I go into CS or software, I'll just be replaced by an indian-bro? It is my passion but if I'm just getting jobcucked then it's kinda shitty... Anyone wanna shed some light so I don't ruin my aspirations?
Thinking about CE or software but I hear the same applies. How could I be part of machine learning?

Drafting /was/ a freshman course at my school.
I think my year was the last to go through it.

What's the secret behundfast and effective learning? Like grasping concepts really fast?

You cant be serious. Accounting is like the business engineering degree; those not cut out for it usually change majors to finance. It has a much more comprehensive scope than finance, but an accounting major would be more apt at picking up finance roles than vice versa.

To get a STEM degree is essentially to admit to yourself and society that you are an aesthetically bankrupt human being and that your ultimate goal in life, besides some petty nonsense about money-making, is to subordinate yourself to the demands of society and to contribute to the quality of life of a superior minority (artists, athletes, aesthetes) who are only concerned with their own enjoyment and whose contribution to society, if any, is only incidentally and non-directly derived from such a self-centred enjoyment.

Life really is too short for that nonsense.

Veeky Forums -> books -> criticism -> literary theory -> philosophy

/v/, Veeky Forums or /ic/, etc -> product -> criticism -> theory -> aesthetics -> philosophy

Veeky Forums -> phenomena -> methodology -> paradigms -> epistemology -> philosophy

Veeky Forums -> boss hog double OG gangstas

I'm going to be a senior in ME, and I am interested in graduate school.

What fields are most in demand for ME these days?

Is it true that a master's degree really will not increase my salary?

What about a phd?

you seem kinda salty about your philosophy degree, just sayin...

Math/Phil Double major here, formal and mathematical logic implies here I come fast food managerial position.

I dunno man I'm about to go into a math PhD and am getting disillusioned about pure math. I keep going to math talks where people start with "here's this situation from QM/QIT/other physicsy thing" and then they never come back to their original situation. The idea of pure mathematics is fine but I find myself questioning whether researchers have accomplished what they set out to solve more often than I'd like.