How long until we figure out teleportation?

How long until we figure out teleportation?

Is it even possible?

even if we could transfer and replicate with 100% accuracy the entire atomic makeup of your body, there's still the unknown problem of whether or not 'you' will still exist in the teleported body

who would want to be teleported if it's no different than dying?

teleportation is theoretically possible, but it's several thousand years away (assuming steady human technological progress, which probably won't happen)

Im pretty sure it kills you, so i would never do it

The solution to the issue of your consciousness not being moved is to instead of copy and replicate your body, bend space instead. Teleportation via deconstruction and reconstruction is just a cloning machine that murders the original (you).

How did that monitor get up there

my guess would be someone climbed a pole, then release it by attaching the monitor to an anchor somehow. that would explain it hanging in the middle of the wire (since at day the wire expand and will form a parabola)

>Is it even possible?
If you accept modern physics you also must believe that space travels and teleportation are possibly

teleporting is to perfectly clone something to a specific location with the extra work of undoing the input matter.

Why not?

The copy will have the same ambition and wishes. He will keep doing what you wanted to do before teleporting.

Quantum tunnelling is the solution!

That's not teleportation. That is a death machine that creates a clone at the exit.

Teleportation is impossible.

The clone would think it teleported.

Teleportation isn't possible, but if you had advanced enough knowledge and technology you could warp gravity waves and manipulate matter [and it's trajectory] in the past the "build" something there, albeit nearly impossible and exceptionally complicated, even for the simplest of concepts.
It would also warp everything else and would take billions of suns to do... and it would be detected for billions of miles unless you found a way to chain link micro-gravity wells, which would be an impressive feat of mathematics.
At that point it might was well be a miracle.

Science isn't science until it's tested and proven.
I don't think you have a clue as to what science is.
It isn't pop-cultural "arguments from ignorance" just because it hasn't been proven untrue.

I don't understand two things.
1) Why anyone would willingly suicide by teleporting themselves.
2) Why you couldn't just be scanned not destructively, i.e. teleportation without killing the original.

Either way, i'll take the long road, thank you very much.

How does the transporter in Star Trek work? Bent space-time or murder-copy method?

murder

Murdercopy. They're very clear about that actually.
The murder happens first. Then a pattern is stored electronically.

They can also then build multiple copies from the pattern, but try not to because ethical and moral ramifications.

The Culture novels by Iain Banks (may he RIP in peace) include both nondestructive teleportation (displacement) and the backing up of "mind states" so people(and machines)can be reborn after death. Whether or not the copies are "the same" individual is left to those individuals to decide. Some people choose never to be backed up.

>tfw I will never get to teleporter all over the world while laughing at you cucks who think the specific atoms you are made of constitute your identity

But it isn't you. You cease to experience the world.

>tfw i think i have a magical soul that God will transport to the new me

ben there done that .

>tfw adding "magic" to a sentence makes your argument sound better

How is a perfect copy of yourself not "you". You ain't same as yesterday anyway.

It's the same structure as you, but it has its own consciousness. If I scanned your body and replicated it somewhere else, you wouldn't be able to see what the clone sees. Now if I kill you, you still can't see what it sees and you're dead.

I'd argue that if the clone has exactly same memories as me, it would be more like splitting, both versions feeling themselves being real.

I never said any version was any less real. Both are legitimate versions of the original. But the person who enters the machine dies. They cease to perceive. They come to an end.

Good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks quarks, black holes and string theory have no place in science

That's not the most terrifying part of teleporting. If the orginal dies, it's effectively just fast travel, 'cause version of you left has no memory of dying. Better reason not to use teleport would be that you would never know if you'll be forced split more than once and copies of you would be used in unethical medical research. And you'd have no idea.

>itt: no one understands physics or the physical world

In the grand scheme of things, consciousness is an illusion and the destruction of the "you" holds no intrinsic difference in any aspect of reality, so basically, you died - yes, but by the logic applied to quantum teleportation you have died thousands of times already throughout your lifetime. I'd like to hear on your thoughts, since it doesn't seem provable or disprovable.

>tfw what are you even saying i'm lost

>breaking down cells
lol u dead nigga

Why is everyone getting so flustered about 'murder-copy'?

>Hey Veeky Forums, let's just forget about everything we've figured out about life and medical science and accept that dying is totally like cool, my dude haha xD

There is no "problem", it's only your limited terminology and imagination that can't compensate whats happening. No matter how you call it, if you assume that the person is killed and its copy is someone different or whatever, it all will only be a guy entering machine and leaving other machine somewhere else that will be indistinguishable from the guy who went in, even for himself.

Going to sleep every night kills you.

1) It's not different from sleeping
2) Not all scanning methods are nondestructive, especially when it comes to atomic scale. But there is no reason to think it's impossible.

>since it doesn't seem provable or disprovable
it's called "meaningless drivel"

in what way does going to sleep 'kill you'

State one logical premise that 'dying' in this context, or simply moving from an inorganic state to stored information which is then replicated, is an inherently negative thing?

Your statements are based on intuition.

we already figured out quantum teleportation
Upscaling it is the hard part
Maybe in 10 years we can teleport a Hydrogen atom and in 25 years a water molecule
its certainly further away than fusion energy

It kills you as much as getting your whole body disintegrated and assembled somewhere else. From your perspective it's no different than sleeping, you just lose consciousness and then get it back, possibly somewhere else because you've either fallen from bed or you were on a party and your friends thought it would be a great prank.

>The clone would think it teleported.
Your clone would.
Mine is smarter than that.

>>tfw what are you even saying i'm lost
You both think the other's philosophy requires a soul.
The "teleport is murder" guy is right though.
We can already make nano-scale transistors with a few dozen atoms, and each atom's placement is part of the blueprint.
If I build such a transistor, then dismantle it, then build a new one to the same blueprint, NOBODY would suggest it's the same transistor.
Everyone would acknowledge it's a copy.
Unless you believe humans have quantifiable souls, teleported copies are just that: copies.