Working from home - cripple edition

Hi Veeky Forums, how do you make money from home?

I normally work with my hands as a carpenter or repairman. I also fix computers. But lately I fell ill and can hardly leave the house, and recovery could take a few months. One of my strongest skills is writing and/or proofreading, which I never used in my daily work. But I don't think one can get that job without a degree/work experience/qualifications. I was offered similar work by people who knew me personally, but I was working at the time and now those opportunities have passed.

So, other cripples/recluses/anyone who doesn't leave the house for months at a time, what do you do to support yourselves over that period?

Other urls found in this thread:

ipalfish.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I trade meme coins all day

Try donating semen, they pay you for it and the thought of actually getting to reproduce is rewarding even though I doubt any woman would take my genes :(

just carpent from home then

Moving makes me feel worse, and if I get surgery I'm not supposed to exert myself for a few months. I thought about making small stuff to sell on Etsy though.

You could do online marketing

Anyone working for AmaZix? What is it like?

I don't know, TJ "Henry" Yoshi

data entry
website testing

probably won't pay the bills but it's better than nothing

I'm a writer and editor. Been working 100% from home as a freelancer for the last 2.5 years. About half my work comes from Upwork, the other half from industry contacts. Not making a fortune but closing in on 50k for this tax year.

I thought there was a limit to how much you can donate.

Could you elaborate a little more? If you don't have qualifications, how hard was it to get the first job? This is one field of work I am absolutely confident I could do fast and effectively, I've been an autistic reader since I was 2 years old. I'm just not sure how to get hired.

I've read somewhere only 5% of donors actually get their samples chosen. pretty sure no one on Veeky Forums would actually get selected.

Getting started on Upwork isn't too hard. you have to take any absolute shit jobs you can land at east asian wages for a few weeks to get some score on the board for job success, as most of the decent jobs require a 90% job success rating to apply. Don't take on long, shit jobs, like people asking you to write a whole ebook for $1000. Try and find shitty 50 dollar jobs that you can do in a short time and ace a bunch of them. Once you have good feedback you are set for applying for better jobs and then they will start coming to you with offers. I haven't actually applied for a job in a year - I just accept interviews I am offered. However, if I didn't have my off-site clients as well I would probably need to be a bit more active.

When it comes to pitching for work, lie a little but plausibly, if you don't have much experience. Claim you have a masters in something and that you worked as an intern proofreading for a lower end literary agent, or something like that (I do actually have professional experience but no-one has ever followed up on qualifications).

This one might be hard: remember it is a fucking business and fall over backwards to keep your clients happy. Not only do they rate you at the end of a job but repeat business is key as you pay the site lower commissions. Make someone happy and they WILL come back to you next time rather than risk an unknown quantity. On that line, try and add something a little extra. I always tell editing clients I want to go over any unclear points with them via Skype so we can get the precise force of their meaning down properly. a) It's true, it is the best way; b) you make personal contact and aren't a faceless pleb behind the screen; c) they see you hard at work improving their text in real time. If not that then something else, but, again, treat it like a business and work out how to sell your service once you have the first taste of a client.

Most importantly, you do have to be good. That rating system means if you hand in junk work people won't hire you again and every potential client can see a shit review. On the upside, you can fly the banner of your success high and it will bring people flooding in and let you raise your rates. If you are going to write as well as edit, then practice. Practice the different styles (business writing or ad copy is different from writing articles for websites). Think about what makes each style work. If you are going to focus on editing, then make sure you are precise. Proper editing for non-English speakers is where a lot of money is but you need to go through that shit word by word, balancing everything to make sure all the sentences work individually and hang together as a whole. You'll need to be able to work in either American or British English, so brush up on conventions in each, and you'll want to have a few academic style guides at your fingertips so if your client is an academic you can get it right when you polish their text.

Once you have some successful experience, look at making the sidestep into ghostwriting. You can get 25k for 3-4 months knocking out a short book for someone rich, or 800 dollars bashing out a good speech for a CEO. I'm trying to move more and more into this area now as there is the chance of more than just getting by there but you need the background in the basics as a foundation.

Last thing, keep receipts for everything and cancel out half your bills and a third of your rent on 'home office expenses'. Deduct that stuff, monitors, computers and so on, plus pens and paper, from your earnings before paying taxes.

Thank you.

>once you have good feedback you are set for applying for better jobs and then they will start coming to you with offers
So, sign up for Upwork, take the shitty jobs and do well, and I will be in a good position to take better-paying work? That's it?

>Claim you have a masters in something
n-nani? Have you really done this without issue, and do you always have to? Do you do it when pitching for work in person or through Upwork, or both? I can lie about proofreading for the insurance company I was offered work for, it's in another country and they probably won't ask. But I'm worried about blacklisting myself by outright lying, I don't even have a bachelor's degree.

>it is a fucking business
Are you saying you can't go about it like a part time career, or just to be extremely thorough with the jobs you do take? I already have business as a repairman and would like to sell things on Etsy, so it would be nice to not be 100% committed to writing/proofreading work.

50k is pretty much exactly what I hoped to make yearly as a repairman. I don't know if I can go out and make contacts right now, but if I can make 3-4k/mo through Upwork, I would be very satisfied.

>most importantly, you do have to be good
I'm not worried about that, I am. It's practically the only aspect of myself in which I have real confidence.

With regards to American and British English I grew up in a shithole commonwealth country, so I am very used to translating into either dialect from Engrish.

>So, sign up for Upwork, take the shitty jobs and do well, and I will be in a good position to take better-paying work? That's it?

That's pretty much it. Build a reputation and the good work will come.

>Have you really done this without issue, and do you always have to?

You absolutely don't have to and I never have done as I have an advanced degree. However, I've noticed that a) having that degree really helps sell my services as it marks you out, while b) nobody ever actually interviews you (who the fuck is going to go checking references for a 1k job?)

>But I'm worried about blacklisting myself by outright lying, I don't even have a bachelor's degree.

Then be honest. Sell yourself on experience and native ability but be prepared to back those things up if you can't mark yourself out from the crowd with qualifications. It's really a secondary thing, though, because it's the feedback that will really get you work. (By the way, it's something you would put on your profile page)

>Are you saying you can't go about it like a part time career, or just to be extremely thorough with the jobs you do take?

No, you can definitely do it part-time. You just have to approach it as an enterprise with an entrepreneurial mindset, not as a hobby where you are indulging your 'craft'. Just because you are writing doesn't mean you aren't engaged in a business venture, is my point. If you want to make money from it you'll have to take the same client-based approach as you would with any other service business.

Go on Fiverr. Sign up as an "Influence marketer". Get paid to shill, fud and generally shitpost, like you do already.

>it's the feedback that will really get you work
I'm just worried that I won't even be able to get my foot through the door. I'm going to refrain from lying on my resume for now, but I'll leave it ambiguous as to whether I graduated from the school I attended for a few years. If you know of people doing this work without degrees, that would be encouraging.

I may be asking a lot here but are there employers you would recommend or could refer me to? You could e-mail me a sample to edit if you'd like to see my work. I may even have some previous examples from when I re-wrote some college essays for quick bux.

teach chinks english online. small money but no effort required

learn to code then use that skill to milk the advertising industry for thousands.

If you want a job as a "influence marketer" just write an e-mail to [email protected] and mention how good you are at shitposting

If you're willing to take work for very little money to start you can definitely get your foot in the door. If you've done college essays before there is definitely lots of work of that type too. Just build up your profile slowly and don't expect it to be huge straight out of the gate. I'm afraid I can't help out with referring, but do wish you all the best getting started!

upwork is terrible. apply to scripted.com, they dont have as much work, but what they do have is well paid, and youre guaranteed money for a job even if the client turns your work down

TRY TEXTBROKER.COM TO KILL THE TIME FAGGOT

Thanks. You've given me a good idea of where/how to get started.

Don't you get paid in pennies on the hour?

>learn to code
which code tho

watch ads for crypto peanuts.

What's the pay like on scripted?

bump

I currently need a writer for the crypto stuff. If you're interested we could talk about some article writing.

100% serious. No clue how we can exchange email though without getting pmed from randos tho

I have a couple of throwaway addresses, how regular would this work be? Pay?

I could technically work all my hours from home but office politics bars me from being able to do that.

>he works for a boss
happy wageslaving

2.5$ / 100 words, 2x2500 words article per week. Depending on the quality, 3.5$ might be acceptable.

Inb4 retards saying 500 bucks a month for writing 8 articles is poverty

Email me to a temp address:

[email protected]

coding in general. start with python or even easier, try BASH scripting.

>No clue how we can exchange email though without getting pmed from randos tho
Sounds like you're the wrong person to be running something discussing crypto. Google asymmetric cryptography you retard.

Just read thread and you're expecting 3-4k through upwork a month while you stay in right of the bat? Yeah, this will surely end well.. Soz boyo

I'm not expecting anything right off the bat or otherwise. It's not like I would be "staying in" if I had an option. 3-4k/mo would be nice eventually, if it were all I was doing

>tfw have a genetic disorder so I can't donate

FUCK

Here's a link if anyone wants to teach chinks via an app. Get paid by the minute up to 45 USD an hr. ipalfish. com/klian/web/dist/teacher/mobile/invite/teacher_invite.html?uid=306041

WTF ALL MY LINK IS GONE

Get a normie job that lets you telecommute

thx

>Get a normie job
if only it were easy. I haven't heard the term "telecommute" before though

last bump