psychiatry.gr/2icnpepatg/abstract-book.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9640489
youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8
slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/07/ssris-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They saved me from suicide.

>They saved me from suicide.

How fat did you got ?

I gained some weight (approx. 7kg over the course of 1 year) finally getting me out of skeleton mode and becoming normal weight.

Nice trips, did you mostly crave sugar ?

SSRIs are supposed to increase the amount of serotonin floating around in your brain. Not sure if they actually do that or not.

What I found interesting to learn is that the proposed mechanism behind how SSRIs work has virtually no evidence supporting it. It's just a guess that gets paraded as truth.

Yes, sugar and fat. Sometimes I experienced increased appetite. This was new for me, because before taking SSRI, I used to have huge problems with eating, lack of appetite, or even nausea.

>tfw no enzymes to metabolize SSRIs

If I ever become depressed and suicidal, I'm fucked. Good thing I also have no feelings.

Pros:

-Cures Anxiety
-Better mood
-More creativity
-More motivation
-Increases desire for social interaction

Cons:

-fatigue
-appetite skyrockets
-weight increase
-nausea
-laziness increases
-tiredness increases
-lose of fitness desire

Literally my experience

laziness increases
wot

My mental motivation to complete a task increased, but I felt too lazy to pursue it

jej

SSRI's fucked up my memory permanently.

The longer I take Lexapro, the more I realize it has made my memory much worse. I believe this is from the lack of REM sleep elicited by the Serotonin release.

take modafinil to counter the side effect of lexparo

ON SSRI's:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant_discontinuation_syndrome
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18628446
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22750076

On Antipsychotics:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroleptic_malignant_syndrome
psychiatry.gr/2icnpepatg/abstract-book.pdf P.222-224
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9640489

According to the current consensus of the World Psychiatric Association:
- The Chemical Imbalance Hypothesis is just a hypothesis, not a working theory, and it has been over-promoted by the Pharmaceutical industry. The current [2016] consensus it that the drugs are primarily just "designer" stimulants and sedatives that can cause long term iatrogenic damage.
- The gene, or biological disease model is completely inaccurate, and instead the bio-psycho-social model is instead accepted by the psychiatric consensus.

Pic unrelated, just posting for fun.

>Cures
You mean "treats", and it does that by distracting your brain.
The National Center for Biotechnical Information lists no known "psychiatric cures"; only "hypothetical treatments".
The World Psychiatric Association and the American Psychiatric Association also claim there are no "psychiatric cures".
Treatment =/= Cure.

>Take more drugs to balance the drugs
>Despite the dozens of scientific research papers by Psychiatric Associations outlining that's the worst possible thing you could do
This just became a NCBI thread.

Modafinil is literally one of the most safe drugs there is, even US Air forces pilots use, heck even Obama uses it

>approximately 5 years later
>Have you or your loved one suffered heart failure, liver failure, lymphoma or other typer of cancer after being prescribed Provigil? You may be entitled to a compensation. Time is of the essence, call our law firm now!

Useful for severely depressed.

How does one measure the severity of depression?

By administering the BDI or the Hamilton questionnaire. And then you hope your participants are being truthful.

t. psychologist

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8

they do work. And it's fascinating that the exact mechanism is still not clear, but the results are there and it's widely used.

>what are MAOIs
>what are tricyclics
>what are atypical antipsychotics

heh, nothing personell, kidd.....

Unlikely, but the only thing that comes to mind is ACh-receptor affinity -> mild anticholinergic effects.

The Obama-thing is nonsense. Might as well be Melatonin or something.

Truth.
slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/07/ssris-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/

SSRIs work only for a limited time. After that, they're placebo

>>No evidence supporting this
It is shown to selectively inhibit serotonin receptor proteins, it will definitely increase the amount of intersynaptic serotonin, no doubts

They work for major depression, as in MAJORR significantly against placebo but generally are indiscernible for mild to moderate.

they gave me my life back.
I think I'm a best-case scenario for zoloft. it works exactly how it's supposed to, no side effects, aside from a slight decrease in sex drive, which I don't fucking care about anyway

although my sister in law took them and said they fucked her up, made her moods swing like crazy, fuck up her appetite, sleep, etc. but then again she has like every health problem under the sun so it's hard to say really

the withdrawals fucking suck, if you ever have to go without it. although if you have some sort of amphetamine (vyvanse and concerta work for me) that almost completely alleviates the headache

There is evidence for surrogate outcomes.

So SSRIs increase serotonin levels in the brain, however that does not mean that they are viable treatments for depression.

Systematic reviews show that SSRIs provide some benefit in cases of severe depression, however due to the prevalence of publication bias in medical literature we have no idea if this data is reliable.

>I think I'm a best-case scenario for zoloft. it works exactly how it's supposed to, no side effects, aside from a slight decrease in sex drive, which I don't fucking care about anyway
Same here, though I think that it's mostly placebo, and what I had was more anxiety with a dash of schizo.

>The Obama-thing is nonsense. Might as well be Melatonin or something.
Melatonin doesn't work? Are the pills placebo?

DUUUUUUUUDE

SSRI's are the only medicine that have greatly helped and nearly cured my panic disorder. And it always comes back when i get off of them. Part of me is glad to have citalopram, but part of me is sad to depend on it.

Oh, and the side effects suck too. But you have to assess the balance of the benefits and the negative side effects the drug gives your life.

Their method of action is kind of spurious and not based on the best science. However, their efficacy is well-demonstrated by lots of rigorous studies, and virtually every drug regulation agency in the world has approved them for depression.

Like most other drugs for depression, they either work or they don't, depending on the person and their individual depression. They've got some bad side effects including weight gain/loss and (for a fairly high percentage of users) semi-permanent whisky-dick.

That being said, if you have depression, you should take them. For plenty of people, it completely resolves their symptoms with tolerable side effects.

>Like most other drugs for depression, they either work or they don't, depending on the person and their individual depression. They've got some bad side effects including weight gain/loss and (for a fairly high percentage of users) semi-permanent whisky-dick.
I never get side effects from anything.
Am I the Medicable Man?

Garbage. Stay away from them.

>ITT : people who experienced the placebo effect

Sertraline helped with some anxiety issues, not at all with the depression part, it probably got worse because I don't have anxiety to hound me to do things.

Got switched over to fluoxetine and that is complete and utter garbage, neither effects of side effects.

I was on Citalopram (brand name Celexa) for a bit. Then, against doctor's advise, I got off of it. I didn't realize how bad I had gotten until recently. Been having panic attacks and anxiety issues too. So my doctor put me on Sertraline (brand name Zoloft).

I thought I could do it without medicine, but I ended up worse than I ever was before. I was stuck without a job and afraid to leave my room. I ended up having to move back in with my parents I was doing so bad, but they thankfully helped talk me into getting some help from my doctor. Also looking into counseling either through my doctor's office or through my church who has connections with counselors too. I had one years ago, but didn't quite gel with them.

Medication and counseling / therapy combo is best.

>SSRIs are supposed to increase the amount of serotonin floating around in your brain.
No quite. It's about the absorption on the sub-cellular level of the neurotransmitter between cells.

I guess it might work for me. I find that the anxiety has just been paralyzing and has made me totally scattershot.

Might be odd, but I've found the depression easier to deal with. My panic and anxiety making my mind race has been out of control.

>Melatonin
it's melanin

Is it actually possible to beat depression or anxiety? I'm sick of being miserable. Been on Lexapro and Sertraline. Sick of fucking up my life over and over because of this shit

>Is it actually possible to beat depression or anxiety?
Having a large support network seems to be what treats and prevents it, why it seems to go away on its own in the third world.

Been on atypical antipsychotics and 2 different SSRIs, cured me of psychotical fears, social and general anxiety and of (mild)OCD. It didn't work against my depression however.

I take a NDRI now but I don't think it's working either(but it does improve my attention).