Why do the Liberal Arts suck so back compared to STEM

There seems to be a major discrepancy in usefulness between pretty much all liberal arts majors and essentially any STEM degree.

Every single graphic design major or post-art school grad I know is either :

1. Going to an expensive university and drawing things for 10 minutes a week, no other homework or studying required

2. Working a 'freelance' job wherein they have absolutely no clients or major salary to be heard of regardless of their talent or 'exposure'

3. Working somewhere completely unrelated to artistry and makes minimum wage, vehemently tells everyone to stay away from Unis because they are "huge ripoffs" for every single major in existence

In contrast to art, STEM grads literally are working at an actual job pertaining to their degree after graduation, and they often make a great salary doing legitimately useful and rewarding things for society/ their company.

Why has it gotten this way, Veeky Forums? It seems like everyone, specifically Millienals have forsaken mathematics, scientific reasoning, and motivation to learn about the workings of the universe in general.
It makes no sense to me that instead of wanting to learn about something like maths or physics people would rather be painting something, and are actually encouraged to do so and shamed for studying STEM.

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/fearful-memories-haunt-mouse-descendants-1.14272
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because STEM is hard and or boring and arts is interesting and fun. besides, i'd rather chase my "passion" for $10,000 a year and not think about the future or getting a job relevant to my major.

not to mention being a nerd is totally uncool. like gross!

Physics hasn't captivated the general public since we built the bomb. Blame the following era of anti-intellectualism on McCarthyism.

lib art major here.

As much as this is true, your position is directly proportional with your skills and how much you're willing to push it. Contrary to STEM degrees where knowledge is the main necessity, liberal arts usually look for originality and imagination alongside to the efficiency of how someone uses tools, programs and so on. You can either waste time designing 2d logos for chickenpiss money, or you can design apps and games for mobile and PC and earn enough money to build a company. Especially the mobile industry is on rampage as it established to reach millions of users online so easily.

Also these jobs have a whole other bonus for being very casual and chilling. Even corporate model workplaces have a significant space they give artists where they can be comfortable.

t. game designer

>STEM doesn't require any originality or imagination
kys

>In contrast to art, STEM grads literally are working at an actual job pertaining to their degree after graduation
some are I guess but not a majority.

Friendly reminder of who really runs the show.

m'capitalism
*tips*

The correct answer:
Liberal arts was influenced by Frankfurt Critical Theory that states everything is an imagined construct.
They through our empiricist, foundationalism and evidentialism.

They threw out*
auto-correct, sorry

I saw data that after 10 years a majority of liberal arts graduates were making 50k or less.

50k is literally the starting salary of the average mathematics grad, and remember that mathematics is NOT a financially rewarding degree.

That is why in this world there are hobbies and there are passions. People who study arts followed their hobby. People who study mathematics followed their passion.

And look at that, passion trumps hobbies in the workplace. Even the worse STEM major in terms of pay (biology) beats the best libarts major (english?).

>"waah why doesn't everyone like what I like?"
Why are you such an autistic faggot? Even I as a lover of all things STEM cannot stand people like you. DIFFERENT PEOPLE LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS fucking get over it you fucking sperglord.

Welcome to the era of anti-intellectualism, where shallow entertainment earns respect while intelligence earns contempt. People are worshipping actors, musicians and models. At the same time they ridicule and ignore the people with education. It's a sad world we live in.

a sociology student told me she was triggered by white women giving yoga classes, this seems a little irrational to me, maybe I am just too stupid to understand, but how can I be sure you people are morally righteous and superior when it comes to ethics

>At the same time they ridicule and ignore the people with education
Just because people laugh at your autistic antisocial ass doesn't mean other STEM people are ridiculed too. Science makes the news a lot but get this autists such as you ridicule the public for praising it because you hate "pop-sci". So the real problem is that science has a few fuckhead elitists who look down on everything that's not science and anyone who chooses to do something else with their life.
>People are worshipping actors, musicians and models
It's called supply and demand. There is a much higher demand for musical services than scientific ones. You know this or perhaps you don't and are one of those pleb mongoloids who keep crying "reee why do footballers get paid more than nurses!" That's how the fucking world works if you don't like it don't shit up this board with your pointless whining fucking kill yourself instead.

>posting with a trip
>kingchem
top kek
We all recognize your apparent greatness or the lack of it, now turn it off, please, thank you.

>It seems like everyone, specifically Millienals have forsaken mathematics, scientific reasoning, and motivation to learn about the workings of the universe in general

It started saying things most people didn't like in the 1970's, and that's why you've never heard anyone mention all the other moonlandings.

Consider genetics. The notion that race and sex are just arbitrary collections of alleles disturbs some people, who'd prefer to think that magic makes people what they are - otherwise, people are sick, stupid and ugly for no particular reason.

Or consider project Orion, which was dropped by NASA in the 1970's. Gerald O'Neill was standing in front of congress, asking for money to fund space habitats.

On top of that, scientists don't tend to like where science is going either. Back in the 1970's, Timothy Leary was writing about genetic memory - today, we're proving it;

>nature.com/news/fearful-memories-haunt-mouse-descendants-1.14272
>Fearful memories haunt mouse descendants
>Genetic imprint from traumatic experiences carries through at least two generations.

So basically, all of modernism and post-modernism is self-delusion to hide the truth from yourself. You know in your heart of hearts that space travel and immortality are real - and the prospect is so terrible to contemplate that most people have created a culture of malaise and frustration to distract themselves from the higher perspective they know exists.

That's because humanities are meant to be a "side-course" to things like STEM degrees.

>t. game designer
This is how i know you are full of shit.
t.colleague game dev

Let people major in liberal arts, why do you care?

It's better this way, it keeps idiots out of STEM and keeps jobs plentiful by reducing competition. People blowing all their money on an art degree is literally making your life better and easier. Let them live with their stupid decision while you live off it.

Also pretty hilarious considering that English is easily the most "boring" of the LibArts degrees

Except pop-sci is degenerative and essentially dumbs down the populace into believing that Science is all about flashy colors and making things go boom boom

STEM is so fucking gay, lol. Its also filled to the brim with philistines.
And the best math to study isn't STEM, its finance.

>and motivation to learn about the workings of the universe in general.
The pure STEM way of pursuing this question is everything working in a box. Its completely meaningless.

t. economics and english lit

Why are so many STEMfags illiterate? Utter philistines, the lot of you.

I'm an econ major you retard. Having fun trying to incorporate an utterly useless major such as english lit into any career

You can't write.
>its finance.
You spout bullshit like this while everybody knows that any worthwhile financial institution only hires physicists, mathematicians and engineers for modeling work.
>Why are so many STEMfags illiterate?
My sides. Good joke, appreciate it.

I have a PhD in physics and I studied physics because I'm interested in physics.
In an ideal world, university is independent of job education (back in the days mostly rich folks would study, it's a privilege).

Fuck the mass being guided by politics for economic reasons.

If someone wants to study painting because he likes painting, then so be it. The argument that it's useless as far as making money is concerned is "too American" for me.

So what? It gets people interested, it gets the funds flowing in.
Lol I already told you that I've left it on because I know you get mad every time you see it. If you keep getting buttblasted then it's gonna stay on forever and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it. So I suggest you just ignore me and maybe I'll get bored and drop it in a month or so.

This guy gets it. Land of Freedom means you study what you want not some "for the benefit of the people" Soviet bullshit.

English lit is an interest and am in a financial situation that allows me to pursue it debt free. I have no need to do anything with it.

Also, people write about economics.

>proof reading Veeky Forums shitposts
lel

>My sides. Good joke, appreciate it.
They literally are. None of them actually read, and if they do its all genre fiction.

Go ask around any STEM department and I guarantee they'll tell you their favorite book is either some book they had to read in high school or some science fiction rag.

Holy Shit...
So I need to basically either avoid trauma, or not procreate for their sakes...

You shouldn't have any trouble with the latter.

what does it matter we're all gonna be replaced by robots anyway

Why do you give a shit what other people are doing? Believe it or not, some people will never share your interests.

Is psychology a liberal art?

Soft science at best, but grounded in enough attempt at the scientific method to avoid being a liberal art.

Just do both, there's things to like and hate about both fields.
Here's one:

Why does STEM always hold so many pretentious snobs? That kid in class who goes on about "I did this super hard x last night, was up at 3am doing calc 3"