My friend is a chemist and says astronomy is almost useless. I want to prove him wrong...

My friend is a chemist and says astronomy is almost useless. I want to prove him wrong. What practical application dis studying phenomena too far for humans to ever reach serve besides helping to develop other technologies that can be used elsewhere?

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativephysics.org/book/GPSmythology.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8
symmetrymagazine.org/article/march-2013/how-particle-physics-improves-your-life
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it has had no impact at all.

Top kek.

Observing stars --> Nuclear Fusion

astronomers like Kepler and Newton (also an astrologer) made giant contributions to geometry and calculus

>besides helping to develop other technologies that can be used elsewhere?

oh

What practical applications does calculus and geometry have, besides helping to develop other technologies?

Practical applications are for people without soul that don't care about the nature of our universe.

Killer asteroids. Only through astronomy could you stop those. Studying other planets sheds light on our own. In particular Venus and climate change come to mind.

Observing the stars confirmed some important predictions made through relativity, so there is that.

>implying theory of relativity is useful
lol

GPS
Nice bait.

gps don't use it. It's a myth.

Of course it is, retard.

good example

Jerk off a fat jewish nigger, bitch. Of course it is.

>What practical applications does calculus have?

Please kys

This just hows how stupid physicists are they take the bait, while an engineer would know not to take it.

alternativephysics.org/book/GPSmythology.htm

>Engineers

not taking the bait :)

You already nibbled.

>You mean a physicist taking a mechanical drawing class.
>FTFY
Yes, this is the exact result you get. You should leave reality to people who actually know what to do with it.

lol moron

Omfg, this guy literally validated his point.

Maybe fucking aerodynamics.

at least thats some high effort trolling

Why has no one mentioned helium yet? OP, the element helium was discovered by looking at the spectrum of the sun. We found helium on the sun before we found it on earth.

flying to other planets

With astronomy you can study bodies like comets and asteroids and in the future we will be able to gather resources from them.

Studying the greenhouse effect on Venus and the lack of Ozone on Mars' atmosphere we now know how devastating those effects can be without trying ourselves on Earth. Hopefully we can convince retards that our survival as species depend on the fragile balance of our atmosphere constituents.

While there are many practical applications and useful technologies, that came through astronomy, I also think research is justified if it "just" satisfies our curiosity

Gravitational wave astronomy is the future

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8

>I was looking at clouds the other day, now I'm a meteorologist

>astronomy
>practical application

Nobody studies astronomy because of practicality. It teaches us things about our Universe and reveals things that do not fit the current models of particle physics (which does have immediate practical application). Astronomy is as close to experimental astrophysics we'll ever get.

Also inb4
>particle physics
>practical application

symmetrymagazine.org/article/march-2013/how-particle-physics-improves-your-life

Also I should mention that astronomy brought us the field of adaptive optics, which while not an application of astronomy, is used and developed by astronomers and does have application in many other fields.

nice Osmos OST rip off

>Osmos OST rip off
kys pleb