Why is pop science so annoying? I watched the minute physics big bang video...

Why is pop science so annoying? I watched the minute physics big bang video, and not only did he oversimplify the history of cosmology, he acted like the "big bounce" and infinite universe theories were somehow unchallenged and settled science. And of course, he's made several videos with meme science nigger.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's like homeopathy : A very small amount of science heavily sugarcoated in nice effects and good video editing. It's entertainement for plebs.

There is a video blocker add-on for Firefox and I suggest you start using it.
I have over 80 channels and dozen keywords blocked.
it makes youtube almost 99% clear of this type of content.

The videos are short and full of half-facts to please the greatest pleb audience possible. Lots of ad views = $$$

If it were not for the $$$ these channels would not be making videos. That proves that their content is intrinsically worthless.

>Why is pop science so annoying?
Because you won't shut the fuck up about it.

>popsci is shit and not usfull in anyway
It helps get normies interested in science, that can only be a good thing. It's only bad if its wrong, which most of it isn't at a general level. Also, it's not annoying, it's relaxing.

>It helps get normies interested in science

No it doesn't. They learn a few surface-level factoids and then act like experts.

>It's only bad if its wrong, which most of it isn't at a general level.

Most popsci is misleading.

It's really hurting nothing. You need to understand that people don't have the time or often the interest to learn about everything in the most detail possible. Surface level understandings are prevalent across all hobbies. Some people don't listen to music beyond the radio. Some people don't watch anything but capeshit and romcoms. The only problem anyone has with popsci is that they know a lot about something and either want to flaunt that knowledge, or they are upset that someone else has an incomplete grasp of something they care about. Just like the assholes at /mu/ do with music.

>oversimplify the history of cosmology
well, thats the point.
how would you explain such a complex topic to physics plebs in a 3min video.
its just a short general overview and not a scientific paper

whats it called user??

But /mu/ don't even know the origin of those genres.

Fucking illiterates.

Fuck off. That's how science make people to support them.

Don't be a baby and accept it.

As far as pop science youtube channels go, I find minutephysics fairly inoffensive.

There's a much more obnoxious channel which blatantly copied the style of minutephysics videos right down to tone of voice called ASAPscience. This channel pumps out garbage of much lower quality at a much faster rate.

A lot of times people opposing popsci are like some kind of knowledge hipsters.
They just want everybody to know that they knew about [topic] before it was popular and that people are just posers that got their knowledge from a video.

When that surface-level understanding creates a misleading, incomplete narrative it is indeed a problem. Misrepresenting history has consequences.

By not blatantly lying about scientists uniformly believing in an eternal cosmos before the Big Bang became popular.

>Fuck off. That's how science make people to support them.

They aren't scientists. They aren't doing anything great.

Can't you see it's the counter-part of the creationists illiterates?

If it vanished, people would get influeced by the other side propaganda.

imagine that...they didn't explain the entire history of cosmology in a video for the masses that's only suppose to last a minute

>By not blatantly lying about scientists uniformly...

fair enough
A lot of popsci should at least mention that some things are pretty much without consensus in the scientific community.

>They aren't scientists. They aren't doing anything great.
Non sequitir.

>the only alternative to creationism is reddit-tier popsci

Plebs who know a few science factoids don't stop being plebs.

It's not that they don't cover the entire history, it that they lie about it.

Then they aren't really "science people" supporting themselves.

>Then they aren't really "science people"
I do agree with that, yet they have a useful role in society encouraging more children who do not know what they want to do with their lives to take up interest and consider heading to college with a STEM major. I don't really think the pedantic complaints Veeky Forums has with their videos are relevant in the long run, the videos aren't a substitute for education, they are popularizing STEM as an interesting and useful field.

>people are plebs
So?

What a pathetic bait.

Kill yourself.

No that's what you think, clearly you're being a hypocrite because you're acting like an expert on what normies do and think.

So more people who don't belong in STEM will flood programs and make them worse.

>people who don't belong in STEM
DELET THIS

Post your choice of "most tolerable" pop sci shows/people

This one irritates me the most:

youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus

>If we create a reductionist definition of life, pretend cells aren't alive, we can pretend life is just information!
>Look! Here's Pikachu and a Tardis! Please upvote!

You already took mine :(

I hate this memeing faggot.

I like sixty symbols, deepskyvideos and most of the other stuff from brady

>that can only be a good thing
Yeah, it would be great to have thousands of more morons flooding into PhD programs.

You still have to be good at it to get into a PhD program.

>and most of the other stuff from brady
I try so hard to like Brady and everything is always getting worse.

Except Tadashi. Tadashi is the best thing that ever happened to Numberphile.

Undergrad will still prune the idiots, enrollment =/= graduation.

Maybe, but I don't appreciate entering a job market saturated with meme converts.

They've been lowering standards to recruit more women and minorities for a long time. Don't bet on it.

They lower the standards but still keep the education quality the same to get that sweet tuition money from people who can't keep up with the standards in the school.

If you're good at it, I don't see what the problem is. I also don't see why watching a popsci video in high school will prevent you from doing good science.

>meme converts.
I thought a lot of stupid shit about science when I was a teenager. My opinions changed in college. Is this that hard for you to imagine? Are you so confident that you have always been right about everything?

this explains everything

yeah, the quality varies quite a bit, but I think he knows how to make an "interview" and has an honest approach

>They lower the standards but still keep the education quality the same

These mean the opposite.

ikr. I use to read dinosaur comics full of non-feathered lizards when I was a kid too.

Nope. They let in more people who will be overwhelmed and drop out after dropping $20k+ on a year of education.