Help Veeky Forums I took this test and I'm not sure if I'm autistic or not. What does this mean?

Help Veeky Forums I took this test and I'm not sure if I'm autistic or not. What does this mean?
psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

>indicates significant autistic traits
you have oddtism

You're some form of ASD, probably, go get a formal diagnosis for the real talk.

Frankly, you'd have to be autistic to work through one of these tests.

I got bored just looking at it and I have Asperger's syndrome.

30/50

16/50

Turns out Veeky Forums was wrong.

I guess it is somewhat accurate at depicting whether your neurology is more typical or atypical. As I happen to have a formal diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome and the test returned the same result (though, more severe than my formal diagnosis).

probably should ask /adv/ but I'm pretty good with talking to people I'm just terrible with starting conversations, particularly with people I don't know well.

what can I do to improve?

Learn the key parts of human interaction and teach yourself to be good at manipulation, treat is like a subject, that's how I gave myself the somewhat limited ability of mostly manipulation based social interaction.

>oddtism
what is that? is that like autism?
I just did a ton of reading on autism. Holy shit. Can people really detect my autism?

I have Asperger's syndrome (as you can see above in some of my posts), I have the innate ability to detect other autistic people (I tend to be fairly accurate).

Does Asperger's prevent boredom or soemthing?

No, but if you are motivated onto a task what is one of your 'Aspergic obsessions', you can end up focusing on nothing but that task for hours upon end.

*what -> that

I feel like social interactions are infinitesimal in comparison with intellectual pursuit. I think it’s selfish to interact socially because I do more good for society by intellectual pursuit. But then people don’t like others based on merit, but based on the feelings, however rational, they get. How can I reconcile this? People should like me because I’m doing good, but they don’t because I don’t emotionally comfort them.

But social interaction is probably the most efficient way of going about intellectual pursuit?

To be honest, I still haven't figured this one out and I am married with two children. Personally, I'd just say stick with what our Aspergic minds are more suited to. If friends we would enjoy as people cannot accept our personalities, because of our neurology, then they are not worth as keeping around as friends. It just seems counterproductive, as our lives are finite, shouldn't be focus on being as productive as possible?

>but they don’t because I don’t emotionally comfort them.
In self-tests I always scored low and considered myself not on the spectrum, but I completely identify with this and it is what ended my first relationship after five years.

Idk. That may be true, and probably is. But I feel like socializing just leads to groupthink. I think there's some popular ideas that are so deeply fundamentally wrong in generally society. I've pinpointed a few of them, but I'm afraid that I might get infected by ideas and normie-memes that stifle true intellectualism. I believe society has missed the forest for the trees and (rationally or not) believe that I can see the bigger picture better and do more for science by keeping a distance from social situations. It's just too easy to accept easy mis-truths over hard-to-grasp truths when in a social situation.

I just select the most intelligent people I come across, they normally tend to have high-functioning autism, Asperger's or traits of the aforementioned anyway.

Do you usually end up having compatible personalities, or is the relationship mostly just intellectual discussion and mutual respect for that? Do you end up intellectually competing as the basis of the friendship? How do you respond when you realize he/she can't keep up with you??

1) Normally, it is both "compatible personalities" and "intellectual discussion and mutual respect for that", though sometimes the latter.

2) It depends, if they tend to have a competitive personality, as I do, you can end up competing over intellectual superiority.

3) Normally, I just end up dominating the sphere and wait for them to try and regain ground.

4) As a bonus: there is a reason why I married a women who has 'typical neurology', it means we conflict less on intellectual matters, which means I have less ability to 'accidentally' berate her. Though, I does cause some issues when it comes intimacy, she often feels 'lonely' or 'unloved'.

*I -> it

1. I figured. Mutual understanding certainly helps cooperation.
2. That must be fun? At the very least invogorating.
3. That makes sense statistically. Odds are you'll always be interacting with somebody less intelligent.
4. I somehow had myself put up with a LTR, so I can relate.
>which means I have less ability to 'accidentally' berate her.
Being more intelligent def. really helps because your insults won't be understood.
>does cause some issues when it comes intimacy, she often feels 'lonely' or 'unloved'.
This can be traced to a more general issue within autism as autists have a harder time recognizing others' emotions. I feel that pain though. You have to work to "see" people's emotions in real time and navigate within it. I usually don't like to do this because I don't think it's right to manipulate people. But when you understand other people's feelings and thoughts better than they do, it's hard not to. I'm not sure why I'm trying to solve your problem, but here you go.

The issue is, I have, as you said, to 'actively filter' emotion. Though, when I do, because of both my intellect and AS I tend to break down and analyse their response far more than one should. As such, it gives me greater ability to, as you said, manipulate them or the situation. Why is this an issue? Because, I don't want to be constantly manipulative, I do have empathy, I just often lack sympathy.

Sadly, as I have realized, one cannot avoid being manipulative. In my LTR, I kept getting the feeling that she wanted to be manipulated. It was frustrating because I wanted to be honest in behavior, but it seemed that honesty was not what was or is called for. It seems that being manipulative in order to incite desired feelings is more preferable in any social interaction. I suppose that's why I dislike it.
So sympathy is a necessity sometimes as well as manipulation. The sympathy to understand the other person's inability to comprehend and draw conclusions. I suppose that's like dealing with a child.

Its probably higher because i am recovering from a previous job that made me anxious about large groups of people and general social anxiety.

Indeed, I find early parenthood particularly troublesome, because you cannot reason with a nine month old infant.

>one cannot avoid being manipulative.
Yes.

>It seems that being manipulative in order to incite desired feelings is more preferable in any social interaction.
No.

>I suppose that's like dealing with a child.
Yes.

This is of course anecdotal, but:

All people are manipulative, intentionally or not. I hate mindgames and thought myself above such behavior, yet when I entered a relationship I found myself to be absurdly manipulative as soon as things stopped going my way.

People who WANT to be manipulated, however, are emotionally immature. That is absolutely not general. Stay away from those people. Recognizing that humans are all fucked up in their own way is important, but thriving on being fucked up is incredibly unhealthy.

I speak from my perspective here (rather than vicariously). It's very fascinating to me that I'm so intellectually-focused because I see intellectualism as superior. But then, to get the most benefit out of life, I have to be sympathetic to others' lack of intelligence. I realize now what my teachers always must have felt. So smart and learned, yet I must work with others at their level in order to get things done. I just want to keep improving myself, rather than helping others up to my level. The only place I can seem to be this selfish is either with intelligent people or by myself.

>People who WANT to be manipulated, however, are emotionally immature.
I didn't consider that. Everybody is on varying levels of emotional maturity. Everybody wants to be manipulated to a certain extent. It's best when left unsaid and unmentioned. An example is that I prefer when people look good, smell good, and feel good. People intuitively realize others want to be subtly manipulated, so they dress well, smile, and so on. The fact that people want to be manipulated, including myself, is a hard reality that I've had a lot of trouble accepting. I've tried really hard to not take things for face value, so that I am not manipulated, but it is very hard to do. I hate the idea of making an inaccurate conclusion based on what somebody or something is pretending to be.