General chemistry hate thread

Why should I learn chemistry if I'm studying electronic engineering?

I hate chemistry.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/03/13/objections_to_the_end_of_synthesis
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/03/12/the_end_of_synthesis
p12.nysed.gov/assessment/reftable/chemistry-rt/chemrt-2011.pdf
franklin.episd.org/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=1904481
nature.com/news/fearful-memories-haunt-mouse-descendants-1.14272
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270066/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Grow up

lol stop whining

>electronic engineering
You mean electrical engineering?

>Why should I attend P.E. class if Im going to be a video gaming NEET?

Fuck you

t. Brainlet

Why would you hate any science

I'm not in the US.

Not OP, but I hate gen chem.

Basic nomenclature (what are the chemicals in my house) and what dissolves what is what I needed

Suck a dick

life is finite and I don't want to waste it in a bullshit class I don't care about

>Basic nomenclature (what are the chemicals in my house) and what dissolves what is what I needed
You learn all of that YEARS before undergrad, lol americans...

Ochem is a class to weed out brainlets.

At our uni, it has about a 60% fail rate.
Same with physics

yeah?
I picked it up as I went. Both my parents are chemists.

Never learned how soap worked until my parents started working on surfactants.
What dissolves what PLA but not acrylic you learned before undergrad?
For us it's just polar dissolves polar, non-polar dissolves non-polar. Oil doesn't mix with water, etc

lmao chemistry is baby science man

Helps you understand semiconductors and batteries.

>0 is a 4n+2 number

Depends what you want to be doing. If you just straight up want to electrical engineering then it's not worth it. If you want to be a chemical/bio engineer you're doing the wrong major.

kek

Had a sensible chuckle

Then why the fuck are you spending your so called valuable time bitching about something you don't care about. Also chemistry is barely bullshit, just goes to show you don't understand the applications of it.

Fucking brainlets

Not for an EE. An EE never has to use chemistry. They just make you take thsoe classes incase you want to switch majors. I think that really it's a scam to get you to pay more tuition by justifying 4 years of education.

It took me

>Why should I learn chemistry
Electrochemical cells.

What exactly constitutes organic chemistry? Cause I passed some shit that was called ochem, but now I have biochemistry, that's not the same thing, right? I made it through, r-right?

Of course it has you fucking retard. Have you ever heard of for example batteries?
How will you understand how gas detectors detect shit? There are electrochemical gas sensors too.
Probably helps with materials science too which is important regarding engineering materials: conductors, insulators, special materials, etc.

Ochem is any chemistry involving primarily carbon compounds. It focuses on synthesis and the usage of chemistry to produce organic compounds. Biochemistry is the study of chemical systems in organisms and the messy parts of extraction and analysis.

Basically Ochem is the application of biology to chemistry and biochem is the application of chemistry to biology. Although to be fair organic chemists make stuff that could never exist in any living thing.

Biochem is essentially Ochem with certain constraints.
Ridiculously high selectivity
Room temperature
Vaguely neutral pH

Because chemistry is a science of electron interactions, and electricity is movement of electrons along their gradient.

If you want to learn about electro-chemical shit like that, then you should be able to take a minor in chemistry or something.

WHAT THE FUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaboos

I don't think organic chemistry is awful, I think the problem is how it's thought. It's like they are teaching you a new alphabet but you don't learn how to make words until you get deep enough in the subject.
I don't know if there is another way to teach it though.

indeed, it's pretty visual and stuff.
with a suitable approach and given enough time it stop looking so scary and shitty

It's not only a matter of being scary, sometimes it's simply boring because you are presented with this huge amount of things you have to memorize without a real explanation. For example I am preparing an orgochem test, among other things I have to learn by heart certain chiral ligands. The problem is that there is no logic being given to us, all we know is that BINAP looks like this and DuPhos looks like that. But why? what's the point? and the answer is that there is no more why than in learning that "a" looks like a and "b" looks like b.

OK, that makes some kind of sense. BUT NOT ENOUGH.

Because to keep making transistors smaller, we're eventually gonna need to make em' from individual molecules.

It's a gif. Is it moving?

Yes, it plays just fine on my machine

>no double bindings in the cyclic structure
>no minus sign
TRIGGERED

So I just graduated with a degree in chemistry and now I have a job doing nothing but running the same damn HPLC experiment every single fucking day, eight hours a day. I want to go back to grad school next year, doing total synthesis type stuff. I did "undergrad research" as an undergrad in an organic professor's lab, but didn't really do any of my own research or anything. I took a few grad-level classes, but I really want to brush up on current stuff. Does anyone have any good recommendations for books and/or papers?

Total synthesis is dead.

[citation needed]

Have you been living under a rock? A synthesis machine just got invented. Welcome to the beginning of the end.
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/03/13/objections_to_the_end_of_synthesis
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/03/12/the_end_of_synthesis

thanks based bob

Thanks based Bob.

Thanks based Bob.

Thanks based bob

THANK YOU BASED BOB
H
A
N
K

Y
O
U

B
A
S
E
D

B
O
B

Why are you in Ochem if you're in E Eng? You should be in gen chem

thank you bob

A synthesis machine removes lab techs and replaces them, in part, with engineers maintaining the machine.
The chemist is not affected at all.

Learn to love it its as simple as that, I happened to inherently love learning everything

Electrochemistry. And to sort out the brainlets. Seriously, I don't get why engineers are allowed to post here.

Thanks bases Bob.

Electrochemistry. And to sort out the brainlets. Seriously, I don't get why engineers are allowed to post here.

Thanks based Bob.

so you don't end up spec'ing something buttfuck stupid and end up losing your employer a fuckton of money or get someone else injured.

Thanks based bob.

I'm confused

Are you complain about chemistry or organic chemistry in general?

Why should I study chemistry if I'm a computer scientist?

Will it give me new perspectives on applying group theory or graph theory?

atoms are nodes, bonds are edges

Thanks based bob

Isn't ochem mostly memorization at the babby level?

Thanks based bob

they are different things

what's your country OP?

Argentina.

Well, kinda, but not.
It's like a puzzle game, at all levels.
You need to know your reactions and mechanisms and subdtance properties to play, though.
That is mainly memorization.

Underrated posts.

thanks based bob

Synthesis machine aside, within the next two decades CRISPR/Cas9 will probably render the field obsolete

Can someone explain brainlet?

How could that be overrated if I'm OP and I already quoted them?

And it kills the field of total synthesis. It's a great time for chemistry, just not total synthesis.

Thanks based Bob

I'm starting univ after this summer, going to be taking "general chemistry for engineers". I've never been good at science shit (AP Bio was terrible for me), so I wanna study up a little on chemistry before I start classes. Can anyone recommend me any good texts?

p12.nysed.gov/assessment/reftable/chemistry-rt/chemrt-2011.pdf

>Basic
page 1, 12

>Drawing
Lewis dot structure -> lines - > double lines and fore/background structure

>naming
1) metal/nonmetal + non-metal = carbon chloride
2) metal (valence, in numerals) + ion = Iron (II) nitrate
3) organic is shit (see the tables, it's a mess sometimes)

>"math"
1) unit analysis = unit / unit = some sort of density
2) a mole is a really big dozen
3) balancing equations i.e. find the smallest common denominator(s)

>bonding preference
Table J

>calorimetry, energy, and preference of reactions
1) energy produced = spontaneous reaction, energy required = nonspontaneous = hot water won't form ice cubes unless you force it to
2) phase-changes = water takes a lot of energy to boil
3) PV=nRT, ideal gas law. You can add little number subscripts to most of the letters (only R is a constant) and turn it into scenario 1 divided by scenario 2. So P1/P2 = T1/T2, if V and N are kept the same. Pressure, Volume, number of moles, Boltsmann's constant, and Temperature (in Kelvin).

P.s.

Negative energy means energy is lost from the system, it is produced and available to the environment or to energize the molecules. Positive energy is energy required to cause a reaction, so either the material gets colder (thermogenic, rare), or you need to heat the reaction to get something to happen.

Woa shit I have no idea what any of that means, but thanks for the pdf.

You'd be surprised here in America...

I've tutored for a bunch of years, and yeah, it would really piss me off when students would come in for Chem 100/101 help, and they'd either have no reference tables, or shit ones. Even worse, if you go online, there's very few tables that put the atomic mass AND valence on a single chart, let alone radioactivity or some other useful shit like bonding preference.

franklin.episd.org/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=1904481

That one goes into pH, which I didn't go over. pH is pretty simple, but physically harder to think about because of exponents. I've never used this one, but this one for example doesn't include valence electrons.

A nice thing they don't teach anymore: electronegativity directly translates into volts, so you can do some calculations to see how simple batteries work.

chemistry the central science by lemay and brown is fine

Usually the calculus sequence weeds out mental midgets in a university science undergraduate program.

>Not even fully conjugated
I'm triggered

That picture was made by a stereotypical asian-american female going through "medschool" in the U.S because I consistently hear about the same people complaining about that exact course despite not being a citizen.

Is that a nitrite attached to a bunch of benzene rings?

Also, my obsession with organic chemistry began due to drugs. It fascinated me that my mind was like the image an a computer screen, and that I could change the image by changing which molecules were in my body.

My brain was a result of DNA, and therefore my mind was encoded in my DNA - I hypothesized naively that my image could be copied and saved to the DNA, and recalled later.

I was amazed when I discovered that mice do in fact record and pass down such images to their children;

nature.com/news/fearful-memories-haunt-mouse-descendants-1.14272

So my drug-fuelled delusions had objective evidence to back them up. On top of that, the counter-argument of synaptic memory had been disproven;

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270066/
>These results point to the nucleus of neurons as the potential locus of the engram in Aplysia.

So the wisdom my body told me was right. Molecular transisters are the basis of our minds - which are part-in-parcel with physical matter, proving panpsychism. Quantum entanglement is also related to this, as consciousness is defined as a single quantum domain - the splitting of one quantum domain into two creates two consciousnesses. So contrary to criticisms of quantum consciousness, the disentanglement is a feature, not a flaw of the hypothesis.

What the fucking fuck did you just say?

What's the closest thing to total synthesis that isn't going to be dead in a couple decades?

Nanotech. Now that we have all this cool chemistry, what can we do with it?

dude weed lmao

Have you ever thought about becoming a tripple jumper?

It's just that you're very good at make short, successive leaps.

thanks based bob

Not at all.
After all, how are you going to synthesize something no mechanism exists for?

thanks based bob

I need it

Why do people hate it? It's pretty easy until you get up to Orgo.

>Veeky Forums thinks they are done paying dues just because they finished the degree

lel. unless you get a PhD or are a total fucking rockstar in college (published with a couple of high profile internships) you can expect to be doing menial shit your first few years.

well, If i'm going to be working on something for the next few years, I'd rather it be a phd than HPLC on fruit snacks.

Nano systems, OP. How you gonna make Gray Goo happen if you can't build a robot out of carbon Legos?

I came here for General Chemistry hate, and I got Organic Chemistry hate. I feel fucking trolled to shreds.

The struggle is real lmao
Thanks based Bob