How do you deal with people who use magical thinking instead of developing a probably explanation for every single...

How do you deal with people who use magical thinking instead of developing a probably explanation for every single fucking thing they say? How do people like Bill Nye and Sam Harris and Lawrence Krauss and Christopher Hitchens and Morgan Freedman and Carl Sagan and Neil Degrass Tyson and whoever have so much patience for these people? I don't, I just can't fucking stand them and I want to fucking strangle them because they're so annoying, in fact I lament the fact that I live in a society that doesn't base what it thinks on logic and probability, or just accepting what they don't know, I lament it every single day. How could you not, if you have any capacity for contemplating the world around you at all? You think I'm fucking around with this thread but I'm serious, this is a real issue that I want someone to help me out with.

Le simple thought is easier

>talks about logic and probability
>P(OP is a brainlet)=1.0

You know what I mean by probability. I'm not a scientist, but you can only give the best possible answer based on what you already know, and you accept that it may not be true if you don't have enough evidence to confirm it. Although when there's a blind spot in a lot of people's understandings, they just fill in the blanks with some other explanation, like consciousness for example. They like to say that consciousness exists outside of this world. WHAT!?!?? NO!!! That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, it's like I want to punch people when they get this stupid.

look at this brainlet materialist and laugh

he will never know the joys of metaphysics

lol nice trolling dude. try being a bit more subtle next time.

>How do people like Bill Nye and Sam Harris and Lawrence Krauss and Christopher Hitchens and Morgan Freedman and Carl Sagan and Neil Degrass Tyson and whoever have so much patience for these people?
Fucking brainlet popsci faggot

Does nihilism and being a brainlet correlate? I am tempted to say yes.

Funny how every board has their own insult. With mu it's pleb, with lit it's pseud, with sci it's brainlet. I'll admit I don't study science, but I think I know a lot of about science from what I've seen from popular science speeches. Popular science is really just people who popularize science in a way that is more understandable to the general populous. I know that this is supposed to be your secret club or something, but you could at least show some appreciation that I respect science in the first place? No? Oh okay, then you don't have the right to call me the nihilistic anti social loser.

Because when you reach a certain level, you stop looking down on the plebeians - you simply accept them for what they are and perhaps one day try to improve their life while limiting their reach.

People like you running around spouting stuff like "I study quantum physics bro" because you've read a few articles and know the vocabulary, while talking down the intellectual capacity of others, is quite unsightly and rude.

>morgan freedman
kek

11/10 autistic.

And all your heroes are fools.

>People like you running around spouting stuff like "I study quantum physics bro" because you've read a few articles and know the vocabulary, while talking down the intellectual capacity of others, is quite unsightly and rude.
LOL okay. I mean, the first part of what you said actually came off as wise, then the second part of what you said just came off as sardonic. This is like people walking around on lit going "dude go read Emanuel Kant and then come back and talk to me". Whatever though, you made a point and I can't argue against the fact that I don't know that much, I just have a problem with the huge amount of disrespect I see on this website. I'm tired of it and it generally makes me sick. I basically hate being around people in general which is why I don't talk to people outside of the internet, so it would be nice if when I go online to talk to people if they weren't fucking assholes.

None of these people are my Heros. If there's anyone I particularly admire it's Bill Nye for just being a good person and giving some nice explanations of stuff (even if I disagree with his point about consciousness), and carl sagan because I watched carl sagan's cosmos when I was a kid and was captivated, as well as richard dawkins because to be honest ever since I was a kid I always admired his attempt to go against religion and educate people about what atheism is.

You are only part of a chain: the people here will be as disrespectful towards you as you are towards those you disdain. You can't come to a board full of people actually living science while talking about pop-scientists, atheism and trying to educate anyone.

WHY DON'T YOU LEARN HOW THE FUCKING BRAIN WORKS AND HOW PEOPLE THINK YOU MASSIVE PRETENTIOUS FAGGOT.

HUMANS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS.

I actually came to this board because I want to get more involved in science, just like I have been hanging out on the literature board for the past couple months because I wanted to get more into literature. So your sorry ass is going to have to expect me, but you won't necessarily know that I'm here, which I guess is good for both of us.

I agree 100% OP, it's ok though, evolution will run it's course.

Your point might be better received though if you name-dropped real scientists instead of glorified middle school teachers.

Okay, but those people who I mentioned do deal with different points of view really really well. I don't think I've seen every single one of them dealing one on one with a person who has such different opinions, but you know that people like that (especially Bill Nye) are able to keep a really special sort of calm when dealing with especially dumb questions, it's amazing to me.

Because they are logical human beings.

Not edgy teenagers with anger issues.

fucking this