Hey, sci, I need a lil help. I want to study software engineering and code. That requires mathematical understanding...

Hey, sci, I need a lil help. I want to study software engineering and code. That requires mathematical understanding. However, I am total trash at math. I understand logic and everything, but all the numbers and symbols are a bit daunting to me. How do I enjoy maths?

What do you mean "logic and everything"? Have you taken a course in discrete mathematics yet?

Read Lang's Basic Mathematics

Will do

No. And rather I meant that the logic behind the math doesn't bother me as much as how complicated it looks, amd I frequently give up on projects

Well, you have to know that these are just convenient ways to write out things that would otherwise take up a lot of room and space to write. If the notation is scary to you, take time to familiarize yourself with it before attempting the problem, and you'll be surprised at how it becomes much less scary. The most important part about mathematics is asking why. There is always a why in math and the A students are the ones who know it. Don't just memorize rules, understand them.

>. I want to study software engineering and code. That requires mathematical understanding.
>That requires mathematical understanding.

No it doesn't. Software engineering on its own does not require any mathematical knowledge. Now, there are software engineering jobs that require specialized knowledge of mathematics but that is because the project requires math.

All you have to do is study your shitty basic coding and then go get a job making phone games. You will never see math in your life.

Doing math in the workplace is a decision you have to make, as very few jobs really need anything more than arithmethic so if you get one of those jobs odds are you were specifically looking for it. For example, nobody randomly ends up as an aerospace engineer. You have to grind for that shit. So if you are shit at math then get away from mathematics. Learn programming, memorize libraries, become a good monkey because that is all you can be honestly.

t. Math BSc currently working as a software developer

>All you have to do is study your shitty basic coding and then go get a job making phone games.
I'm sorry you settled for one of the shittiest and most unfulfilling jobs a software engineer could take. I'd rather be unemployed and make web apps than help my employer make cash-grab mobile games.

Honestly, this is pretty close to the truth. The idea that mathematics is required for software engineering is based off a misunderstanding. Laymen think 1) Computer Science requires a strong mathematical background 2) Software Engineering is pretty much Computer Science 3) Therefore, mathematics is required for computer science
This argument is unsound due to premise 2 being false. Software engineering and computer science are very different fields with very different requirements. One is an academic discipline, the other is more of a trade.

>I'm sorry you settled for one of the shittiest and most unfulfilling jobs a software engineer could take.

Did you not read the last part of my post? I'm just giving you suggestions. I'm as far away from fucking games as you can possibly be without a graduate degree.

Specifically, computer science is an academic discipline while software engineering is a trade.

Specifically, computer science is for people with brains and software engineering is for the "i liek programm1ng" crowd.

>people with brains must choose academia over developing products and making money
my, what a big brain you have

>he chose to study CS instead of a real field of science
>he can't even get a job because he doesn't know how to write decent software
kek, brains indeed

Real field of science like biology...or chemistry...or whatever other stamp collecting tripe that exists to comfort the kids who don't have the math chops to do physics?

Also, have fun with your software writing job that will be outsourced to India within 5 years because it requires zero intellect

>SE Engineer
>studied in Germany CS
>cleaning 65k Euro + Bonus annually
>"real field sciences" are always job hunting and working in temporary contracts
>always saying they wish they had done CS or some trade instead their field of choice

Here, they trashtalk a lot about CS. But in the end in the realworld and the industry people will suck your dick for it.

Because once you graduated, no one gives a fuck about "muh intellectual superiority".
Of course a mathmatician//physicist will allways have to do things more intellectually demanding than a CS//SE//Engineer, but the only thing an employer cares about is if you get shit done.

>Real field of science like biology...or chemistry...or whatever other stamp collecting tripe that exists to comfort the kids who don't have the math chops to do physics?
topkek. this butthurt is too real

Memes aside, this mentality that if someone is smart enough for physics they should study physics is one of the most cancerous things on Veeky Forums.

Reminder that more math does not add legitimacy to a field.

t. math grad student

Holy shit these:
It seems that physicists are a bunch of insecure retards. These people are probably a lot dumber than most people with real interests too.

>I understand logic and everything

Nice. A little basic test:

Every logic circuit can be designed by the use of one single logic gate. Which is it and why? Hint: You may use De Morgan's laws to solve this question.

>software """"engineering""""

Do you intend this for OP only? Because this is piss easy.

Yes, this is an entrance exam. We can't start by designing a 82 bit ALU. You may be the TA and correct his work.

Legitimacy? I'm not really even sure I know what you mean by that. Mathematics helps scare away people who think memorization is more important than problem solving.

Define a real interest.

+1

>legitimacy
Like how people complain that X "isn't a real science." Why are we trying to scare people away from fields?

>Why are we trying to scare people away from fields?
Because abstract algebra is difficult and most people would fail if they tried, just trying to save them wasted time and unnecessary mental stress.

On a more serious note,

Sure, biology and chemistry are real sciences, but they're easy and are mostly learned by route. Mathematics and Physics require deep understanding of why the material is right, not just "Memorize Fact 1, Memorize Fact 2, ... , Memorize Fact X". Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics are all "real science" but the first two require much less thought.

NOR and NAND both work.

This. Real engineering deals with physics based models and applies a wide variety of knowledge form a lot of fields.