Can magnets bend light rays?

Can magnets bend light rays?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.114.103902
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefimenko's_equations
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. While they are electromagnetic phenomena, light waves themselves have neither electrical charge nor a magnetic moment.

In other words, light rays pass through (static) electromagnetic fields just fine without interference.

They can however rotate the polarisation axis of say linearly polarized EM waves.

Faraday rotation.

Yes. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

If it's big enough it can.

what are non static em fields?

example: you moving a magnet
example: light
example: electric field around a wire where AC current goes through

can you elaborate what (static) em fields are in the same manner?

because I thought non-statics where static too

/thread

I don't think the Faraday effect will always prove it correct

Kind of: you can create a pseudomagnetic field using anisotropic, inhomogeneous materials which will bend certain polarization states of light.
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.114.103902

Other than that, no.

Take Maxwell's equations and drop the time dependent terms. Basically anything you can do such that the fields you create aren't changing is considered static (electrostatics or magnetostatics). If you turn off a solenoid, the magnetic field goes from strong to nonexistent, therefore it changes (and isn't static). A changing electric field induces (important word) a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. You can easily derive a wave equation (actually 2) from Maxwell's equations and the speed of the wave is exactly the speed of light. An amazing coincidence? Of course not, we learned that light is electromagnetic radiation.

>A changing electric field induces (important word) a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field induces an electric field.
Not trying to nitpick, but something to think about:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefimenko's_equations
>There is a widespread interpretation of Maxwell's equations indicating that spatially varying electric and magnetic fields can cause each other to change in time, thus giving rise to a propagating electromagnetic wave (electromagnetism). However, Jefimenko's equations show an alternative point of view. Jefimenko says, "...neither Maxwell's equations nor their solutions indicate an existence of causal links between electric and magnetic fields. Therefore, we must conclude that an electromagnetic field is a dual entity always having an electric and a magnetic component simultaneously created by their common sources: time-variable electric charges and currents."

It does seem a little nitpicky, but I like that way of thinking--thanks for the link.

Is that a FDTD simulation?

kek

No, just a conceptual animation. FDTD sims solve for the fields, not rays.

>>Other than that, no.

>what is the bending of the worldline of a photon by a mass

fucking undergrads again

>>what is the bending of the worldline of a photon by a mass
>>Can magnets bend light rays?
Fucking brainlet can't pay attention to the subject.

That's not a magnet though, is it?
>implying an undergrad would know about gauge field optics

Not that user, but many commercially available magnets also have mass.

I didn't mention that as an answer to the OP, though, because I'm not a smartass and saying "well, technically, the gravitational field of a magnet could bend the light" is both incredibly point-missing and completely unhelpful.

>Not that user, but many commercially available magnets also have mass.
and?
The path doesn't change if you have a steel mass and swap it with a magnet of the same mass.

kill yourself.

OP asked if a magnet could bend light. Things with mass can bend light. Magnets can have mass.
Therefore, magnets can bend light.

However, this is incredibly fucking pedantic and unhelpful and completely misses the point, which is why I didn't bring it up and wrote this () instead.

Could everyone pls calm down?