What is in this vial?

Found this at a thrift store. Any guesses? I'm hoping moon dust.

Other urls found in this thread:

airspacemag.com/daily-planet/can-you-legally-own-a-piece-of-the-moon-153387336/?no-ist
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anthrax.

probably your mom's semen.

Serious inquiries appreciated. Thanks!

Neil's estate in liquid form.

Bed bugs

> Semen

No

> Anthrax

Unlikely, but possible. The color is off though.

> Neil's estate in liquid form

This is clearly a solid

> Bedbugs

Looks non-organic

>white, powdery/grainy

it could literally be anything

> it literally could be anything

I don't think you understand the meaning of literally and anything.

ashes oh a dead celebrity

It's too vague to tell from a picture. You'd have to open it and test it.

Silicon

Phosphorus trichloride

dimethylmercury

dead persons ashes.

gg

Put it in those paint shakers and see if anything happens.

Direct a 800nm 20 Hz lazer and post what color light comes out of it

Visually I'd rule out powder and stick with grains.

I agree moon dust or some soil of a place where a historical event took place are likely and would also explain the nice insulation and why it would end up in a thrift store.

Dank weed.

It's obviously moon dust faggots. Herp a derp. Bunch of /b/ tier amateur retards around here.

T. Black science man

underrated

maybe test the density

pure memes

Moon dust has a distinct smell.

Spray it in your eyes and find out

weed dust

>I'm hoping moon dust.

many gifts of moon rocks were given to world states

and have turned out to be fakes

why would NASA punk so many idiots?

they've turned out to be fakes because they got stolen:
airspacemag.com/daily-planet/can-you-legally-own-a-piece-of-the-moon-153387336/?no-ist

if it really is moon dust, it was stolen.

>people have equipment like this in their household

Stolen from whom? The moon cannot be owned by anyone.

>people without equipment like this think they have any business buying something like OP's sample.

>people without equipment like this posting pictures to Veeky Forums in the hopes that someone will just know what it is.

Not your personal mass spectrometer.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Indeed I was hoping someone had seen something like this before, as it could be many a number of things. Although I would like for it to be moon dust, the particles don't seem fine enough to dust-like and seem more granular. Could be lunar soil granules?

I should also note when you shine light through it, it is translucent. That may be due to the thinness of the granules, but it does look crystalline in composition and not opaque to light.

I'd also rule out cremated remains as its not ashy.

Soil of a famous place, maybe... but why such a small sample? Why not fill the whole vial?

Someone clearly spent a good bit of effort encasing this vial at a 45 degree angle in the middle of resin, but put no indication on what it even is...

In response to the laser, the best I could do is 600 - 700 nm and 1064 and up. Not sure about the frequency...

What is the significance of a far red laser?

>800nm
OK, so what colour do you expect when you illuminate with infrared??? I would not expect much in the way of visible fluorescence. If you are aiming for two photon stuff you need a lot of oumph and anyway a i plate in sunlight would be plenty just to see.

It is especially that 20 Hz comment that smells like troll to me. And "lazer"? Haha, you need to do better than that, user, a whole lot better.

>hoping moon dust
A long, long shot here. Back in the 70's when Vestmannaeyjar was buried they sold volcanic ash, pertly as souvenirs and partly for the income.

If that is something like what you have and it has been sealed properly since it was filled in the vial you should see irregular grains about 1 mm long, black with a gritty and shiny texture.

Is that close?

Only way to really know is to have it extracted and analyzed. But if it's moon dust then it's nearly 100% certain stolen property and if anyone doesn't keep their mouth shut about it they WILL want it back.

You can use this to your advantage.

Contact the authorities and say you suspect it is moon dust and would like to return it if it is. Most likely it is something else, but then you get some experts to check for you, possibly for free.

most of the people on Veeky Forums are college students. literally any non shit tier school will have this equipment. hell, even some community colleges have it.

I've attached a picture that I took of a moon rock from the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.

Similar color and grit texture, but as someone mentioned before, I'm not seeing any black or glassy basalt particles in my sample.

The mystery continues.

eat a little bit of it

if your peener falls off, it's probably space crack

where did you get it?

i remember dropping a vial off at a thrift store.
>open it on camera

What does it taste like?

That looked rather pale.
Apparently the albedo of the moon is closer to asphalt.

Jews

L.O.L.

The Moon belongs to AMERICA.

The vial was found at a thrift store in Nashville, TN.

I would crack open the resin and open the vial to figure out what is inside, but if I do that it loses the appeal. Here's what u know so far:

1. Small sample, preserved in a vial. Small sample suggests there was little of it to begin with, making it rare to find.

2. Gray/silver translucent granular structure, and is not fluorescent under 650nm laser.

3. Encased in resin at a 45 degree angle in the middle of a cube. Someone took time to make this, however, there is no marker or indication on who made it or when.

4. Granules are uniform in color, but not uniform in shape or size. Does not appear ashy or a fine powder.

It's probably Jew dust. Someone's great grandfather.

probably ratshit that you put in a fucking vial to post on Veeky Forums

>not fluorescent under 650nm laser
Good start. However fluorescence would emit light at a longer wavelength, so did you have any means for detecting infrared?
Deep blue or UV would be better, though I am not sure about UV translucence of the resin.

Encasing it in resin suggests it will be damaged by atmosphere, either oxygen or humidity. I am guessing here that the grains flow freely and show no signs of stickiness.

Had there been a biohazard there would have been ample warning signs also embedded in the resin.

Since also the vial is translucent I guess it was intended to study the contents in this embedded state. The 45 degrees part is puzzling. Have you checked if it is magnetic?

I heard if you put jew dust in a container of water with a few coins and a bagel, it grows into a new jew.

OP confirm/deny? for science.

The only time I found a vial encased in acrylic at a thrift store, it also had a nameplate included in it that advertised an engine cleaning fuel additive.

im guessing its just some element

Have you tried eating it?
Tell us how it tastes, maybe we can help you then.

>> 8180570

I tried putting a hard drive magnet up against it with no sign of movement. I have not tried detecting infrared emission, but I could try that on Tuesday. Also yes, all of the grains do flow freely without sticking to the glass.

>> 8181563

That's what I thought when I first started looking into it, which would make a lot of sense. Maybe platinum? Some sort of metal?

I guess that's always a possibility, but what would be the point?

>Some kid finds a vial
>Kneels down to the ground, picks up a bit of soil, chucks it in a vial and sells it at his local thrift store
>Some fucking idiot buys it and ponders over it

Kid also has access to a cube mold and resin, and professionally displays the vial of dirt.

Sells it at thrift store for two dollars

Profit???

Going to have it looked at under an electron microscope (if possible.)

Serious replies. Yours was the 'serious inquiry.' it's probably pencil lead

DMM is a liquid.