Tfw last antibiotic drug discovery was in the mid 1980s

>tfw last antibiotic drug discovery was in the mid 1980s
>tfw antibiotic apocalypse because many treatable infections are becoming resistant

How will we cope? This keeps me awake at night.

time to go nano

Vaccines for everything, immunostimulants, antibody/nanobodies...

Vaccine for gonnorea? No.

Why not, comrade ?

Just wash your hands, bro.

Ah we'll last another 50 years. Fuck the kids.

>How will we cope
Phage therapy

Human body should take more symbiotic/commensalist bacteria that secrete toxins against pathogenic bacteria, and take up the possible living space for them. Then the bacteria co-evolve with the pathogens through evolutionary arms race.

good, cull the herd

Bye user

>tfw last antibiotic drug discovery was in the mid 1980s

Good thing thats not true

don't we already have this? Is there room to improve whiteout risking to mess up the already precious balance created by evolution in the first place?

Resistance to phage can still occur. Plus phages generally take longer to produce, and it's possible for the phage to become virulent.

> it's possible for the phage to become virulent
Bacteriophages are specific in what they infect

> how will we cope

never once in my life have i needed an antibiotic for anything

what are people doing to contract viruses for which antibiotics are absolutely necessary?

>viruses for which antibiotics are absolutely necessary?

Virus infections are treated with antivirals, not antibiotics.

It's also not only used for infections, it's used preventively, as in any major surgery involves some prophylactic antibiotics.

Of course the antibiotic resistance hysteria is well overblown, but assuming they were to become useless hospital death rates would skyrocket. Surgery would be risky business. Any infected wound could become a death sentence. STDs would spread like wildfire. Orthopedic surgery would pretty much stop entirely.

an easily reversible problem. just stop taking antibiotics and hell be fine.

Good luck to anyone who haven't got their appendix cut out yet.

You never had or won't have a surgery in your life?

I remember how people used to argue antibiotics shouldn't be regulated, because that would make researching new ones less profitable. Fuckers.

>How will we cope?
Roll out decent regulation.
Stop selling antibiotic soaps in supermarkets, stop prescribing antibiotics to people with colds, stop giving antibiotics to cows to encourage growth, that kind of thing.