Count-Down

How much science do think we'll get?

nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8CT_txWEo5I
youtube.com/watch?v=SgEsf4QcR0Q&feature=youtu.be&list=PLTiv_XWHnOZpM1iLQr95P4KDXYiYnJUOE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html#public
planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/06090600-what-to-expect-from-junocam.html
youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E
articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1976ApJS...32..737S&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf
lizard-tail.com/isana/orb/misc/juno_spacecraft/
nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-announces-coverage-media-activities-for-juno-mission-arrival-at-jupiter
ustream.tv/nasahdtv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more "salt" deposits, that they then suddenly never talk about again

I'm really hoping the camera spots something interesting in the clouds. I find the whole cloud planet thing very romantic.

It's a pity it's basically impossible to build some sort of probe that could go down and film in the atmosphere. Even Juno's camera can only be used for short periods before the radiation fucks it over.

Ive always been sort of afraid of jupiter. Thats my contribution to the thread, carry on.

As you should be.

I really wish it was possible to get a self sustaining aircraft that could withstand jovian winds.

That being said OP, one way missions to jool usually get about 400~600 science depending on the equipment.

Jupiter and Saturn aren't exactly "right" places considering our perspective. Humans are used to a rocky terrestrial planet with solid ground. We can understand the concept of a sky and clouds but wrapping your head about the size and depth of the gigantic ball of cloud belts and storms larger than our world isn't so easy. It's big, so big but also so bereft of landmarks that you'd be totally lost if you were floating above it in some sort of ship. You wouldn't have much luck going down either- Under the clouds there's no real defined boundaries, just gradually getting thicker the closer you get to the middle until it gets hard. That said there's a lot we don't know about what's down there, hence why Juno is important. It's super highly unlikely there's life there considering the environment but hey, there is apparently water so who knows. I don't really want to think about what sort of creature could survive that environment of radiation, blasting winds and a horrendous abyss beneath its "feet" though.

Also this is neat-
youtu.be/8CT_txWEo5I

It says hi.

>How much science do think we'll get?
All of the science

Way overly optimistic. Maybe 5% of the science at best.

Maybe even 6%, depending on funding

Juno, Dawn going to another body, Rosseta fate approaching, New Horizons extended... and almost no one talking on Veeky Forums

is this really what the clouds would look like or is this bullshit?

Will Jupiter's core be made of metallic hydrogen?

Jupiter started as a terrestrial body like Earth when the solar system was forming, but much larger.

It was big enough that its gravity was able to keep hydrogen and helium from escaping into space (their escape velocity is so low that planets the size of Earth cannot hold on to them as atmospheric gas) so it and the other giants kept growing in size until all the available hydrogen gone.

The hydrogen that is deep inside is under so much pressure that it is in a metallic form, and its generates Jupiter's monstrous magnetic field.

The Juno probe should be able to get a good idea of how deep the metallic hydrogen is, and how large the core is.

tl:dr deep down inside of Jupiter is a super or mega Earth surrounded by gorillions of tons of hydrogen/helium.

Probably? Not like we can check.

I heard there's some scientists who think Jupiter may not even have a core currently.

>and almost no one talking on Veeky Forums

Stupid fleshbags think they're tough enough to colonize Mars when even the venerable Matt Damon couldn't handle it...

bout tree fiddy

My understanding is that the core, if there is one, could be mixed with the metallic hydrogen and diluted over a large area.

I don't think the atmosphere would be blue.
Or rather the clouds are the atmosphere itself.

Judging by KSP, it depends whether you transmit the data or recover the vessle

>Jupiter started as a terrestrial body like Earth when the solar system was forming, but much larger.
>I heard there's some scientists who think Jupiter may not even have a core currently.
This is exactly what Juno is trying to find out, right now that's all speculation.

>metallic hydrogen
Whats that? How does metal come into play here?

Shouldnt it be Hydrogen and Helium in their critical state being both liquid and gaseus from the pressure and temperature?

Hydrogen is actually a metal, but is unable to express metallic properties in its gas form.

>but is unable to express metallic properties since its not a metal.

fixed.

Considering it expresses its metallic properties while compressed, no.

>youtube.com/watch?v=SgEsf4QcR0Q&feature=youtu.be&list=PLTiv_XWHnOZpM1iLQr95P4KDXYiYnJUOE

Looks like a pretty great movie trailer

Enough scoence

I can usually get ~1000 on a quick and dirty mission to Jool, more if I visit the moons or abuse the labs though.

Matt Damon left Hydrogen Gas around an open flame with no supervision.

He deserved getting blown up, again, and losing his potato field.

Not long now.

a few 100 gigs of raw science, it will all have to be processed though, mind

>Once in Jupiter’s orbit, the spacecraft will circle the Jovian world 37 times during 20 months, skimming to within 3,100 miles (5,000 kilometers) above the cloud tops. This is the first time a spacecraft will orbit the poles of Jupiter, providing new answers to ongoing mysteries about the planet’s core, composition and magnetic fields.

Shit, how close can we get?

>there's no real defined boundaries

Doubtful, as we can see obvious patterning on the "surface" of the gasses. I hope we learn more soon though. The giant storm for instance may not even reach the solid surface.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

15 hours til orbital insertion.

1 minutes until my penis insertion into you're mom's vagina

looks like you failed your landing and hit her black hole instead.

Bump for sticky

I wonder if it will see another comet/asteroid strike like Galileo did.

There are 3 lego figurines near Jupiter atm onboard spacecraft Juno. And they will crash into Jupiter ending the mission!!!

T - 7hrs

nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html#public

BUMP

how long will it be before we get actual images on the internet?

Jupiter is a couple hundred million miles away, it'll take a while for the postman to get there, get the photos, and get back.

planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/06090600-what-to-expect-from-junocam.html

omg it's full of info

Me too. It just looks so threatening. Like the eye of god looking straight at me.

What do you think yourself retard? Jupiter is like 5 times further out than earth. It's going to be pretty dark, except for the lightning in the stormclouds and maybe an incandescent glow from below emanating from the extremely hot inner layers.
It's a beautiful piece of art thought.

That was fucking awful. They're trying to market it like some kind of fucking shitty Hollywood movie. Why??
What the fuck is going on with NASA?

Sagan thought there could be life on Jupiter:

youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E

articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1976ApJS...32..737S&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

fuck off retard.
we finally have habbening here.
lizard-tail.com/isana/orb/misc/juno_spacecraft/

and crash of our 3 lego kerbals in 2018.

13 Jun 2016 - Begin JunoCam Approach Movie - Color images every ~22.5 minutes. Will show moons moving around Jupiter

>matrix green underlined titles
>le ebic tension building music
>biggest and baddest

Jesus christ NASA, was this marketed towards the marvel and dc fanboy crowd?

you would like it in anime isn't is furfag?

Speaking of which, why haven't we sent a probe to laythe yet? Pretty sure Juno could do a quick flyby.

it should be rammed into sun to keep is well fed for gorillion years more

Nigger what?

So the satellite is landing on Jupiter today? And the mission or whatever is called Juno?

>landing
>jupiter
What the fuck are you doing on Veeky Forums?

Butthurt Interstellar fan detected.

Is there any live stream?

So it's not going to Jupiter or what? I don't know what your trying to get at.

Im not even gonna go through the trouble of explaining how fucking retarded you are.

nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-announces-coverage-media-activities-for-juno-mission-arrival-at-jupiter

Links to streams and timetable here

It's going to orbit Jupiter, because it's impossible to land on a gas giant. No solid surface.

That makes sense. Thanks for not calling me retard.

I would pay good money for a VR experience of orbiting the gas giants recorded by the likes of 4K/8K RED cameras or something similar and beamed back to earth. I imagine it'd be immensely awestriking and humbling.

Yes, I'm aware of how impractical that is due to bandwidth limitations with the current state of space communications, but I'd buy the hell out of it nonetheless.

Jupiter Orbiter Insertion

>5 Jul 2016 Perijove 0 Jupiter Orbit Insertion at 2:30UT (19:30 July 4 PT). No science. 53.5-day orbit.
>No science
Seems like we have to wait a few months for the science.

Why/when did this become a thing?

MAKE JUPITER GREAT AGAIN

>No solid surface.

Jupiter has to have a solid surface or close to it.

NASA TV livestream started

SOUND DOESNT WORK

NASA YOU HAD ONE JOB

sauce
SAUCE

Is the JOI actually happening in 45 minutes or did it already start and they'll only get confirmation later?

GOOGLE NASATV

BURN STARTED

ustream.tv/nasahdtv

It started IRL just now, they will get confirmation of start later

>JOI hype intro was like a hollywood movie
I dunno if I laugh about it.

NASA JPL is an alternative, the audio seems borked on NASA TV.

I'm listening just fine.

When are they going to send pictures? I dont' really care about the rest

Probably in a few days, the press conference indicated that pictures were a low priority. Their only data will be telemetry indicating a good orbit.

The main camera, JunoCam, is very basic only a school science experiment.

Juno already sent some pictures 5 days ago
The camera is turned off until they get in orbit

It last 48 mins for pictures to reach Earth.

Who /peanuts/ here?

desu who cares about these computer apps? We already have Space Engine for that

/ryewhiskey/ here

I understand that but they may not start sending pictures right away. Plus I don't know what the rate of transfer for the pictures is going to be either

but when they do its gonna be L I T

This one gives you a live view of NASA's spacecraft.

WHEN WILL IT FUCKING HAPPEN

My normie friends were pretending to be excited about this today
I wonder how excited they will be after seeing that besides rocket launches space missions are really boring

the most exciting part about juno is the pictures it will send back

i mean

just look at cassini

even normies can appreciate that

It's already happening.

Don't worry about it.

It will go well, right guys?

Damn i love seeing Cassini's black and white pictures of Saturn
I just want more pictures of Neptune, how long would it take for a spacecraft to reach it?

Hoping for ayy lmaos

I can't wait until we have a vast network of laser relay satellites or something of that nature scattered throughout the solar system so transmitting information in either direction isn't such a pokey pain in the ass. Can't do anything about the latency but we can at least pump up the bandwidth and make it easy and cheap to send and receive signals on earth.

I always have low expectations about everything so if it goes well I'll get really happy and if it goes wrong I don't get disappointed.

>5 years and $1B down the toilet if it doesn't

Juno's JOI burn should now be complete, with Juno in a 3920 x 8029000 km x 89.8 deg polar Jovian orbit. 48 minutes to confirmation.