Pain

Why is pain so hard to deal with? Why can't I take my mind off it? What's the secret to dealing with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861134/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pain is just a signal that there is potential damage to parts of your body. Evaluate whether this is the case and then either act or ignore the pain.

This sounds easy in theory but I practice it just doesn't work. Why?

dissociation
try some ketamine bro

There is no adaptation to pain as there are to other stimuli.

>no adaptation to pain
bull
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861134/

That's because everything is pain my lad
everyone feels pain and spends their whole life running from it
eating to stop the pain in their stomachs
fucking to stop the pain of lonelyness
working meaningless jobs to stop the pain of failure
to feel pain is to be alive
accept pain as a gift and a friend and you may learn some interesting things about yourself

Pain is the first teacher, evolutionary importance of pain is incredible. Thats why brain made it a high priority.exe

Pain and fear are both very important mechanisms.

Chronic body pain can be tough though.

What kind of pain r u dealing with? body or mind?

lolno

t. medfag

>Why is pain so hard to deal with?
You believe analgesics work.

>Why can't I take my mind off it?
You believe analgesics work.

>What's the secret to dealing with it?
Physical Exercise, meditation

In short, use the body you have to the point that it aches on a regular basis. Observe effects of endorphins and systemic endogenous anti-inflammatories.

And lastly, make meaning in life for yourself- take life seriously- that is, take up some struggle that is virtuous. It gives life meaning.

Trying alcohol or kratom.

Depends on what kind of pain. Physical pain? Emotional pain? Details please.

Nice thought but not all pain is caused by lack of exercise. If you believe that, you've never suffered real pain. There are those of us who suffer from intense ,real ,actual pain every single day without a way to deal with it other than gritting our teeth and praying for it to stop. Whether you're religious or not, a certain amount of pain will have you on your knees begging any god to help you. To act as if it's simply a matter of doing a few push ups and running a mile is ,quite frankly, fucking insulting.

Sry, that was meant for

Next time you break a leg or Crack open your skull ,try finding meaning in your life...obviously your pain will disappear.....fucking retard.

Because beings unable to bypass pain have higher survival chances.

That's.....fucking stupid

You are utterly mistaken. I know from personal experience, a person absolutely can adapt to pain to some extent. Not to the point of relief ,but after a lifetime of dealing with pain every single day ,a person does sort of forget there's such a thing as no pain. We find it strange that others can go months or even years without so much as a headache. It doesnt go away or even change but we do adapt to dealing with pain. Scientists can say whatever they like but they can't actually know unless they've dealt with it.

As for you, I'm going to take all that rediculous ,ignorant bull shit you just spewed as sarcasm. Otherwise I'm forced to believe there really are people in thisbworld with ZERO intelligrnce and utter lack of empathy. If excericise and "finding meaning in life" could actually cure pain WHY THE FUCK WOULD ATHLETES NEED PAIN MEDS YOU FUCKING MORON?????

Pain exists to coerce you to a course of action. Its entire function is to be as irresistible as possible. Unfortunately we live in circumstances we did not evolve to deal with, so the mechanisms that served our ancestors well end up causing problems

There is no "secret". There are many methods and processes and circumstances that make pain easier or harder to deal with, or greater or lesser in extent

>Unfortunately we live in circumstances we did not evolve to deal with, so the mechanisms that served our ancestors well end up causing problems
That's not the only problem. Our ancestors were forced to suffer as well, without recourse. Evolution is not benevolent. It doesn't care about the subjective experience of the replicator vehicles, it just operates according to fitness. If suffering maximizes fitness, evolution maximizes suffering.

Why?

Things that feel pain are less likely to set themselves on fire, for example.

This is my point though, we evolved to suffer because that suffering produced action that promoted survival and reproduction. But we no longer live in circumstances (to some degree) in which that is true. Certain kinds of pain have become maladaptive

I mean, certain kinds of pain were always maladaptive and selected against. If sex causes you pain, that's maladaptive. If eating hurts so much you'd rather starve, that's maladaptive. And so on. There's a reason pain happens so rarely, compared to, say visual perception.

OTOH, a lot of pain is still adaptive even though the person is worse off having it. I think everybody would be personally better off if they could switch off all their pain whenever they want, but their life expectancy and their reproduction rates would probably be lower.

But perhaps pain sensitivity now has some small new effect on birthrates, now that we have new technologies for contraception.