How to made a homemade nuke?

How to made a homemade nuke?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2506549/Uh-oh-Radioactive-Boy-Scout-built-nuclear-reactor-Detroit-shed-sparking-evacuation-40-000-wants-invent-lightbulb-lasts-100-years.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your CPU actually contains enough uranium to cause a nuclear explosion. Microsoft includes a program called "system32" that prevents it from blowing up, so all you have to do is delete it.

Wrap a battery covered with aluminium sheet to give it a current pumped with argon gas, and put it in a microwave. You won't believe what happens ;)

go to >>diy

Wikihow

You can't.

What prevents computers running OS X or GNU / Linux from blowing up?

Systemx86

You going uranium or plutonium?

Cuz the first step will be getting a supply of one of those.

Come out to the Nuclear History Museum here in Albuquerque New Mexico to look at gadget and see the models they provide of the inside. (they don't allow pictures though and the dimensions are clearly fucked with to make it tough to copy)

You will also need a lot of explosives to start the reaction. These should be easier to get.

If you are thinking hydrogen bomb then I can't help you.

I imagine a hydrogen bomb would be much harder to make due to getting your hands on enough tritium and deuterium, plus tritium has a half life of around 12 years so hydrogen bombs aren't stock piled. You can however buy Uranium from various places, whether it is has been processed to remove most of the key U-235 i cannot say. I can say that it will be expensive to just buy enough uranium let alone the materials you will need to use to extract the U-235. If you really want to build one your best bet is to become a nuclear physicist and 'misplace' some material.

The intelligence of the users.

>homemade nuke

You can't. You don't have the design, the materials, or the means of production.

now fuck off.

Richard Stallman

There are nuke documentation available online from which you can infer the apropriate dimensions for the case, the plastic explosives can be crafted out of common household chemicals and the fuse can be made with a fucking arduino kit. Any nuclear engineer or physics phd can perform all the necessary calculations to make a working model for a nuke.

Where the fuck you gonna find weapons grade fissile material is the real problem, even today that shit ain't easy to mine, process and purify.

No, you're wrong. It is top secret, many of the constituents to a nuclear weapon. These things must be extremely precise and the only way to find out if you're correct is trial and error which is why the US military has had many, many tests. It is extremely challenging to create a nuclear weapon, thankfully.

Why not just buy one from an unemployed Russian scientist or air force general?

Buy weapon-ready plutonium from russians or indians and hire a team of third world engineers to build the damn thing. Probably not cheap but it is entirely doable.

It is a little known fact, but the Americium in smoke detectors is in fact weapons grade fissile material.

So here's what you do, grind up the americium of several smoke detectors into a very fine powder, then put this into two shot gun slugs.

Then fire both shotguns at each other at exactly the same time.

>several smoke detector
With 3µg of americium per detector, you're going to need quite a few of them.

Nice try ISIS

You can make tritium and deuterium from water, at home. You just need an electrolysis set up and a home made fusor. Google can tell you how to build both. I am unfamiliar with hydrogen bombs so i dont know where you would go from there.

If you want to make a "diry" uranium bomb you just need uranium 232 (aquired via some insane centrofuge and yellow cake uranium) and a beryllium shell. Uranium 232 inside an enclosed beryllium shell causes a runaway radioactive decay reaction, for my lack of knowledge of a better term. I havent fact checked any of this, im reciting it all from memory so forgive me if i fucked up some detail.

you build a nuke in your home

it's as simple as that

You're gonna need more like 60 000, but this is definitely plausible

>become billionaire
>get into mining and secretly mine uranium under the guise of mining some other mundane mineral
>build your own secret underground centrifuges (you might have to manage it yourself or using some highly paid amoral scientists, but the workers can be told it is to extract rare earths or something)
>transport components to a facility in detroit
>assemble the bomb
>use a balloon to lift it up to the ideal airburst altitude
>detonate
>blame terrorists
>buy up cheap real estate, redevelop, look like a humanitarian while you're doing it

I wonder if posting in this thread will result in one being placed on the do-not-fly list?

60 kg of uranium that is at least 80% U235.

20kg of the uranium will need to be a ball with an inch thick plate of tungsten on one side.

the other 40kg needs to be a star shapped plate of sorts. backed by an inch thick plate of tungsten.

then you use a lot of high explosives to shoot the star at the ball. the starr will wrap around the ball and the tungsten help contains the neutrons.

Critical Mass reaction should be attained and BOOM!

Now for getting the uranium?

well you will need to move to Alaska and get some homestead land that has uranium ore on it.

once you dig up your ore. you have to do a bunch of really caustic organic chemistry to convert the ore into a uranium liquid.

gas centrifuges are going to be too complex.

so we are going to use a fractional distillation setup to enrich the uranium liquid.

then you convert the enriched liquid to metal powder. then melt and cast into the shapes you need.

>thinks he can safely handle tritium at home
ayy lmao

>beta decay is dangerous outside the body

>outside the body
>radioactive, flammable gas
>over 9000 Ci per gram specific activity

Ozymandias pls.

It's Linux you faggot

you'd need to harvest 3 million smoke detectors just to get a single gram
bare sphere critical mass is like 60 Kg and that's for AM 241 pure, not AmO2 that's found in detectors. it's retardedly infeasible

If you don't mind hiking through desert for days.

The American southwest is littered in uranium and plutonium scraps from bomb tests.

Thorium

If you think somebody's going to produce gram quantities of tritium at home with their fusor, AND assume that because they're handing "tritium" it means they'll be handling it in elemental gas form, you're a total idiot.

If you're not too much of a chimp to run a fusor without hurting yourself, you can handle the tiny amount of tritium you can make with it.

>specifically mention electrolysis for producing gaseous tritium
>doesn't know that you need several grams of tritium for a warhead
>talking with confidence about shit you don't know about, even after making note that you're unfamiliar with it

>evaporation

He specifically mentioned electrolysis for producing deuterium. And that doesn't even particularly produce gaseous deuterium. It produces heavy water, because the light hydrogen is preferentially separated.

Let's look at what he actually said:
>You can make tritium and deuterium from water, at home. You just need an electrolysis set up and a home made fusor. Google can tell you how to build both. I am unfamiliar with hydrogen bombs so i dont know where you would go from there.
Anyone who's not a complete idiot would take this to mean getting deuterium by using electrolysis as a means of isotope separation, and making tritium using the neutron flux from a fusor.

He's obviously not all that well informed about these processes, but what he said is a whole lot less stupid than your, "durr hurr you can't safely handle tritium at home" comments, you fucking chimp.

Build fusor that produces a high neutron flux.

Buy some U-238.

Put U-238 in front of running fusor, initiating the decay chain to Pu-239.

You now have a microscopic amount of plutonium.

Repeat this 10^1000 times and maybe you'll have enough plutonium for a small nuke.

Better get started.

>what is isotope seperation
that shit will never go boom

The rest of us are discussing on the level of isotope separation and neutron generators, while you're talking like it's too hard to put lids on containers.

>being able to mindlessly read wikipedia and follow basic instructions exempts people from being retarded and unsafe in handling materials theyre not familiar with

You don't have to do isotope separation on plutonium unless it's a dirty mess from old fuel rods.

The plutonium route in the Manhattan Project involved no isotope separation processes at all. They ran graphite-moderated natural-uranium reactors and frequently separated the plutonium out of the fuel rods, while it was still mostly Pu-239.

Enriched uranium is useful for running isotope-production reactors more conveniently, but it's not necessary. The B Reactor was basically just a bigger Chicago Pile with active cooling and designed so it was easy to swap out fuel cannisters.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

If you REALLY wanted a nuke then you have to leave the US.
Doing any of the steps necessary to accumulate the supplies (tritium, plutonium, high explosives) will get your ass black bagged by the FBI real quick.
A place like Russia would be ideal, there are unaccounted weapons floating about and much less scrutiny.

actually on the water-board Do Not Breath list...

Feel better now?

Shhhh..... just trying to get OP to grind up some alpha emitters and make toxic radioactive dust.

>gas centrifuges are going to be too complex.
>so we are going to use a fractional distillation setup to enrich the uranium liquid.
is this true, why is iran trying to build centrifuges then

For an implosion device, yes. For a gun-type device, they were so sure of their calculations that they didn't even bother to test one before they dropped it on Hiroshima. You still have the fissile material problem with both, though.

because they're a country and can do the complex things.

If you are just a mad engineer with cash, time, land, and access. You don't want to even try a centrifuge.

The first, and second trickiest step is to gather up lots of atoms. They usually hang around places that are particularly radioactive, so you'll need a Geiger counter, sunscreen, a very tiny net to catch the atoms, and good reflexes - they're surprisingly fast if you startle them.

Once you've gathered enough you move onto the second, trickiest step, which is to place lots of very tiny knives right next to the atoms rigged up to a spring mechanism such that activating the bomb causes the knives to chop forward and split the atoms in half.

Lastly, the third (and third trickiest) step is to make a nice box to store your mechanism in. I recommend a cereal box cut along one edge, flipped inside out and glued back together, as this will let you paint on your own custom design to the outside. Make sure to include lots of warnings and hazard signs, especially the classic 'radioactive' symbol!

When the atoms are cut they will release large amounts of heat, light and noise so make sure you don't activate your bomb in a residential area after 10pm. A medium size nuclear bomb needs about twenty atoms. Thirty atoms and it starts to get a bit toasty, so I don't recommend setting one that size off in your back yard - a large field nearby is better. Ten atoms make a nice firecracker if you just want to scare your neighbour's dog.

Above all be careful and have fun, and you'll be doing atomic physics in no time.

Fractional distillation is a hopeless method for separating molecules with only a 0.86% difference in mass, as uranium hexafluoride has between the U238 and U235 isotopes. If such a straighforward method was a realistic option, they'd have used it. It's not like separating deuterium out of hydrogen, where there are many easily-accessible chemical processes which move single hydrogen atoms around and deuterium has twice the mass of protium.

You certainly wouldn't save anything by trying such an inefficient method over an established, efficient technology like centrifuges.

Maybe you meant to say gaseous diffusion? Even then, it's less efficient than centrifuges, and the less efficient the method, the larger the industrial scale you have to work on to get the same result.

There's simply no easy way to enrich uranium in amounts useful for bombs. The trade-off is between working at a massive industrial scale (e.g. calutrons), still with quite a high level of technical sophistication required, and working with extreme technical sophistication (e.g. laser isotope separation), still at quite a significant industrial scale.

We don't have to worry about anyone cooking one up in their bathtub anytime soon.

tl;dr

I think he did, we basically told him to fuck off. There's a trip on /k/ that I'm sure is on this board as well that seems to know more about nuclear... bombs? stuff? ...than anyone on Veeky Forums should. Goes by Oppenheimer? I'm pretty sure he's put the kybosh on this guy as well.

>>Help him Veeky Forums! You're his only hope!

I don't think fusors can produce tritium, can they? They use fusion to produce heavier elements so it may be possible but i doubt from regular old H2O.
Tritium is usually produced by causing a fission reaction in nitrogen-14, which i imagine no average Joe could pull off.
However, if one produce enough Tritium and Deuterium without setting off any alarms and they were able to handle the Tritium safely, i don't see how they could get the reaction going since it is a fusion reaction rather then a fission. If I'm not wrong, to start a fusion bomb one must set off a fission bomb.
As for a dirty nuclear bomb you need Uranium 233 which is expensive but plausible if you knew what you were doing.

>I don't think fusors can produce tritium, can they? They use fusion to produce heavier elements so it may be possible but i doubt from regular old H2O.
Fusors don't use "regular old H2O", they use deuterium, which is extracted from water, where it is only a fraction of a percentage of the hydrogen.

>Tritium is usually produced by causing a fission reaction in nitrogen-14
That's not true. Tritium is conventionally produced by neutron absorption in lithium-6, generally using a fission reactor as a neutron source.

For all the research into fusion reactors and particle accelerators, when people want to produce radioisotopes for a practical purpose, it's almost always done using fission reactors. Other neutron sources are generally used for imaging or experimental purposes.

Also: deuterium fusion produces tritium as one of its main reaction products. A D-D reaction produces either tritium and a proton or He3 and a neutron.

However, the tritium produced in this way can be hard to separate before it undergoes D-T fusion. It would be easier and more productive to let the D-T fusion happen, which produces a high-energy neutron that can be multiplied and produce an average of more than one tritium atom in the lithium breeding blanket.

Anyway, fusion just isn't a practical way of generating neutrons compared to fission, except in the operation of a thermonuclear device.

OP, your late to the show. Some kid already did this.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2506549/Uh-oh-Radioactive-Boy-Scout-built-nuclear-reactor-Detroit-shed-sparking-evacuation-40-000-wants-invent-lightbulb-lasts-100-years.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

pic related

That gets so exaggerated.

Basically, he played with small amounts of radioisotopes in an irresponsible way which made a minor mess which could have killed somebody.

The worst thing he did was find a radium clock with a supply of radium paint for refreshing the glowing dials, and open up the container to play with its contents. Cracking open smoke detectors to get the radioisotopes out was also being a huge asshole. The rest was irrelevant by comparison (although concentrating thorium oxide from mantles and grinding up uranium ore are both pretty irresponsible backyard activities).

By mixing alpha emitters with beryllium, he did make a neutron source, but a very weak one. He had no hope of producing more radioisotope than he started with, and it was highly unlikely that he could have made anything that was more hazardous than he started with.

The plutonium and U233 he produced was in negligible quantity. Not even micrograms.

He never got in any real trouble because the stuff he was doing, while stupid, wasn't really worse than typical backyard chemistry playing around with mercury and making small amounts of explosives and mustard gas, which in itself is not as bad as a small child playing with matches. Later, trying to resume his hobby as an adult, he got arrested because he was stealing smoke detectors. The petty theft aspect was taken more seriously than the trivial amounts of radioisotopes involved.

If you want to look at a bad radioisotope incident, check out these idiots playing with pretty glowing powder from old hospital equipment:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

Linux is the kernel, the very low-level components of the operating system that interface with hardware and manage system resources. Most visible parts of the operating system that the user interacts with were developed by the GNU project.

I didn't think about the fraction of deuterium in water, completely forgot about it (egg on my face). But the problem i see is that it may be easy for someone with experience to remove deuterium from water, but not for someone how has either never done something like it or has little or no knowledge in Chemistry. However i imagine with enough tutorials it is definitely possible.
As for producing Tritium, lithium-6 is somewhat viable but the problem is getting your hands on it, yes just about anyone can go out and buy it or perhaps even remove it from batteries but removing enough Lithium-6 which is in low abundance compared to lithium-7 would be difficult to someone without the proper tools. Nitrogen-14 makes up the majority of the naturally occurring nitrogen, and since nitrogen makes up roughly 78% of the air we breath, it is extremely easy to get your hands on some without rousing suspicion. Now of course you will have to remove other impurities but i believe it would be a much easier way to get tritium and enough of it to build a bomb, hypothetically.

I'm going to state this for the record. People call Linux Linux because its a single word that's easy to remember. Stallman's argument that Windows would be called NT by the same logic makes no sense, because NT is not something people care to remember, unlike Windows. Same as GNU. A word is easier to remember than an acronym. The general public doesn't give an ounce of a fuck what's considered "proper", because "proper" is a clusterfuck to say in a conversation. Nobody is going to be talking to their friend and tell them to try out GNU/Linux, because it sounds retarded out loud. And it's also retarded to throw a massive autism fit (even if it's done ironically, which it's honestly hard to tell sometimes) everytime someone just says Linux.

So, I propose this. Shut the fuck up about how it's actually called GNU/Linux and I will be nice and not ban you.

You need more than 1 person to make one and no one will agree to make a nuke for you without snitching, which is quite a comforting thought.

The only way to do it is to be the leader of a nation where people trust the government and even then they leak secrets to foreign countries.

>mfw this thread

Nice try ISIS

>As for producing Tritium, lithium-6 is somewhat viable but the problem is getting your hands on it, yes just about anyone can go out and buy it or perhaps even remove it from batteries but removing enough Lithium-6 which is in low abundance compared to lithium-7 would be difficult to someone without the proper tools.
Jesus. Do you always just post shit without looking things up?

It's not necessary to separate the lithium isotopes. Lithium-6 has a large cross-section for absorbing thermal neutrons, lithium-7 has a very small one. Furthermore, the lithium-7 reaction with neutrons also produces tritium, and it doesn't even consume the neutron. However, under normal circumstances, most of the tritium you get will be from lithium-6, because the Li-7 reaction requires a high-energy neutron, such as is produced by a fusion reaction.

The Castle Bravo nuclear test produced a dangerously higher yield than predicted (15 MT, nearly double their maximum prediction of 8 MT), because of the Li-7 + N -> a + T + N reaction, which they didn't account for.

The tritium-producing nitrogen-14 reaction is not a practical artificial method. It's just the main source of natural tritium because the atmosphere is what mostly gets hit by cosmic rays, and the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen-14.

Hey man no need to get mean, this is a place of learning.
>It's not necessary to separate the lithium isotopes.
If this is so, then why was lithium-6 separated from lithium 7 for nuclear weapons? Was it just because it was unknown that it was unnecessary, or was it because it was more efficient when using lower energy neutrons?
Also if Lithium Deuteride was used for early nuclear weapons, what is used now? And is it possible to use nitrogen-14 in a nuclear weapon?