Not sure if this is the correct board for this question but I just dug this out of my front yard and have no fucking...

Not sure if this is the correct board for this question but I just dug this out of my front yard and have no fucking clue what it is. It's from the Southern Appalachian area. Any help would be appreciated

Bottom view

I knew I should have went to /b/...

You sure burned me...Now what the fuck is that thing?

looks like a stone to me user

Probably so. It just looked really out of place compared to the other rocks from the area where I was digging

Can you describe the weight of it? Does it feel porous? Any notable features on the exterior, such as grains, fractures, and possibly post some close up pictures.

It almost looks like bone, or some sort of fossil.

Not everyone is an americlap, use a ruler instead. It seems to me like some kind of mould

Weight is just over 6 ounces. The outside feels a bit like sandstone but the inside doesnt. I thought it might be a fossilized clam but I don't know shit about fossils

Its a petrified perogi

About 76mm for my eurobros

Fuck the fossil, how fucking wide is that tape?

Designed for old,blind fucks like me

Does it absorb water? Put a drop of water on it and see if it gets absorbed. maybe?
What does it taste like?

What kind if soil did you find it in? Was it near any source of running water?

It does look like some sort of stone that has been eroded over time, but then again it does look like bone - especially on the inside.

Any more pictures would be beneficial.

Does it float in water?

I've tried to rinsing it to see if it changes colors. Most water runs off but a fair amount absorbs in and the color doesn't change to much. I think I'll pass on the taste test.

I doubt you do, but if you have litmus paper, you could wet it and check its pH. That would be pretty enlightening in regard to its composition. Esp if you won't lick it.

Would you be willing to try and break off a small piece to see what the inside looks like? I'd guess it'd be pretty porous

The other rocks around it are shale and sandstone and my yard sits high up on a ridge (200 yards or so from the nearest stream) there are no other visible eroded rocks that I can find. All the other rocks are jagged

Inside view. Recently rinsed

I'm going to guess it's a bone from some animal. The holes look like spots where tendons would connect.

That makes as much sense as anything I've heard.

If you have a band saw, you should see about cutting it in half lengthwise.

Think I'm just gonna keep it in one piece. If it turns out to be something cool then I'll just donate it. If it's bullshit,I'll just stick a firecracker in it and blow it all to hell

How Veeky Forumsentific of you, Veeky Forums user.

Dumb ass, it's a quarter. American currency

It's a quarter

Hilarious and original

Looks like yellow cake op is rip

It's a mother fucking dinosaur bone breh!

Doesn't look like a bone to me. I suppose it could be the Femural or Humeral head that was snapped off the shaft but there's no bicipital groove or any sort of protrusions on what appears to be the anterior portion of this object. It's too thick to be a piece of the Ilium, lacks the Supraspinatus fossa/Infraspinatus fossa of the Scapulae, and certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of skull fragment or sacrum/vertebrae. I don't think it's a bone.

Do you think it's worth taking it to take it to a university to have checked out?

This is a wild shot in the dark, but could you try dropping some tincture of iodine on it if you have some?

My apologies for the incoherent rambling. I just woke up

Sorry, I don't have any. What will that show? Keep in mind I'm not a regular Veeky Forumsanon.

I have this nagging suspicion that you have a piece of Civil War-era hard tack. The iodine would show the presence of any starch.

That's very interesting! I may take it to a museum and see if they can verify that. That's actually a cool theory.

Geologist here, it looks like a concretion.

Is it worth further investigation or just something curious for my book shelf?

paleofag here, looks like an internal mold of some kind of void (maybe a vug, maybe a weird bivalve)
the hollowness could be a geopetal feature

alternatively it could just be a chunk of sandstone that's been weathered in unusual ways, or a concretion like said