Any "fringe" treatments out there that might be viable for a Stage IV metastatic breast cancer patient?

Any "fringe" treatments out there that might be viable for a Stage IV metastatic breast cancer patient?

She's 55, diagnosed last month - mets to liver and brain. Has already begun one round of chemo (Navelbine) with indeterminate results.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Cancer-Therapy-Results-Fifty-Advanced/dp/0961152621
youtube.com/watch?v=pXHDoROh2hA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Lourdes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eribulin
medscape.com/viewarticle/757713
youtube.com/watch?v=GNSBctmMI3k
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278762
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20560112
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22325339
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17928122
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your mother, OP?

Yes.

My grandmother died from throat cancer. Good luck to both of you, user.

>Stage IV

Essiac Tea, but you have to get the ingredients yourself and make it yourself. Don't buy the stuff pre-made online or wherever. Just google, "Essiac Tea recipe."

Good luck.

>Stage IV
Nothing you can do man, you have to accept it and do the best you can for her and her last years. If there's any experimental treatments available (doubtful at this stage), ask the doctors if they can put her on a trial. That's about it. Don't try any stupid "fringe" or "alternative" treatments that's likely to interfere with her current treatment, it will only make things worse. If there was an underground cure for cancer, you and everyone else would know about it... Go through the pain, time will eventually heal it. Good luck.

Medfag here

brain mets = a few months to live regardless of what anyone can do or try.

spend as much time as you can with your mom she wont be around much longer :(

>mets to liver and brain.

RIP op's mom

Thanks everyone.

At least worth reading through:

A Cancer Therapy by Max Gerson

amazon.com/Cancer-Therapy-Results-Fifty-Advanced/dp/0961152621

The basic premise is that by eating the right foods, you can supplement your body's ability to heal itself.

Probably also start googling cannabis oil for cancer treatment.

At the end of the day, there's no guarantee these things will cure her, but it could help. Discuss it with a doctor educated on these topics. Worse case is they don't work - it's not like a healthy diet and cannabis ever hurt anyone when used properly.

Read somewhere about a trial where they used reprogrammed the polio virus to destroy cancer cells. It met with fantastic results. Somebody at Duke was spearheading the study. Only problem is that it targeted a different kind of cancer, and that some people drew the short end of the clinical trial stick and essentially got fucked over by inflammation from the polio and became paralyzed. And then died. Really sad stuff, especially when nearly all the people before had been cured.

>by eating the right foods, you can supplement your body's ability to heal itself
P S E U D O S C I E N C E

My dad started a regimen of herbs and fruit slushies every morning, made his blood a lot stronger and he was able to do his chemo again. The results were basically immediate. They gave him a month to live about half a year ago. It's not miraculous, as he's struggling again now, but he's gone much father than expected.

I just want you to know I'm really sorry to hear. Be strong, for her.

Oh this is how Steve Jobs cured his cancer right?

Dude slushies lmao

Not wanting to promote any quackery but this guy is a legit scientist and he was able to help his mother with some mushrooms. You may skip to the last quarter of the video: youtube.com/watch?v=pXHDoROh2hA

Sorry for your mum and best of luck, OP.

if it went to the brain, it's very highly likely the person will die soon. This is because most medicines gets blocked at the brain blood barrier thanks to the astrocytes that are part of the glial cells.

F

I've heard that with cancer low-carb diets are beneficial since tumors feed off of carbs primarily, so changing diet probably isn't complete pseudoscience.

Reminder we should all do something nice for our moms, Veeky Forums.

damn dude imagine if he didnt take the slushies and the same thing happened, could have been terrible

Colloidal silver

Har. I'm not an idiot who goes and believes everything. He was taking it a while, stopped for a while, and started up again. Hit blood health got better, worse and better accordingly. Stuff was smoothies, not slushies, so slip of the mind there. I forget what was in them, I'll post when I hear back on that.

There's a lot of bullshit out there, but sometimes food is sorta medicine.

yea the cancer dies if you starve yourself to death.

What do you think carbs are?

>There's a lot of bullshit out there, but sometimes food is sorta medicine.

It is true. Attitude and behaviors matter. No proof though. I observed two people with metastatic cancer. One refused treatment, one went through the whole medical treadmill.

Neither really adjusted to any extreme, a new regimen of health, fitness, good food, etc. Neither were particularly health-minded. One was logical, the other irrational. One went along with treatment plan after treatment plan, basically being sick for 6 months until death. The other seemed pretty normal for 5 months and then went through painful decline and death.

If it were me, I'd fight it, but to be honest, I've been fighting it nearly all my life already. I eat organic food, exercise like I'm training for the olympics, wear sunscreen, don't eat the blackened shit off barbequed meats, pay attention to possible chemical exposures in home and in the workplace.

If and when I get cancer its going to be total war, and I'm going to squeeze the shit out of that tumor with starvation, black coffee, adrenaline, and deliberate provocation of my own immune system.

I've seen what chemo and radiation do to people. It is fucked up.

I liken it to a rule I observe motorcycling. The rule is stay on the bike, and ride through (an accident or threat of one). What newbies do is they lay down the bike attempting to avoid a crash. That is, they crash to avoid crashing. That is sort of like chemo and radiation. They destroy your immune system to keep cancer from destroying the immune system. Brilliant, desperate, medieval.

Soon, within 10 years in my estimate, there will be much more effective therapies. Hopefully those won't be taken out of people's hands to make profit off of suffering. Maybe justice will be done and the chemical industry will be forced to pay for the cancer they gave people. But that is of course a fantasy. Shit doesn't roll uphill.

Are you the idiot who thinks that cancer didn't happen before industrialization?

your best bet would be to start reading the Bible every day and praying to God, not even kidding. ignore all the euphorics that will inevitably bash me for saying this. their hubris cannot help you, doctors might not be able to help you, but God still heals this very day.

You're an idiot.

Nice retort dipshit

this, OP god may be punishing you through your mother. This may be your last chance. Take her to church a few times a week.

>They destroy your immune system to keep cancer from destroying the immune system

wot?

Don't listen to these quacks. Continue the chemotherapy and whatever the doctors suggest, it is her only hope.

I wasn't replying to an argument, so it wasn't a retort. "P S E U D O S C I E N C E" was intended as a retort, but it wasn't argument, and therefore idiotic.

Try IMRT or neutron therapy, there's also brachytherapy

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Lourdes

!!!!! K I L L Y O U R S E L F !!!!!

There's new treatments being developed using light and metamaterial capsules. I'm working in the field right now, but I don't know how far along they are. Basically the capsules attach to cancer cells and they use higher frequency light to heat them up and kill the cells.

Can someone explain to me what happens when you die from cancer

Do you get a cold and then just die in your sleep

Or do you shit blood, vomit your aesophagus out and your eyes melt etc

How does it go down?

You die from the failure of whatever organ it's afflicting is. So choking, secondary sickness, blood poisoning, and rapid starvation are the potentials.

Look up Rife cancer treatment.

A E S T H E T I C S

This is now a feels thread.

not fringe but
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eribulin

>mfw that steric complexity

np and good luck fampai, i'll pray for your mother

Stage IV here, been through the mill with clinical trials. Gotten used to the fact that the sands are running out from my hourglass.
Death is the most natural thing in the world, and the only guarranteed activity.
Since it's the end of pain, I am starting to look forward to it.

Thank you for spending your remaining time with us.

I can't dictate what boards you should spend your time on, but if you wanna get comfy with your the time you have head on over to /mlp/.

Thank you user, we recognize your contributions to our community over the years. You have been very much valued, brother. Remember, as you reach your terminal point. That your energy will be reassumed by our biomass and spawn new life. From your termination new vectors will be spawned.

10g Spirulina, Hawaiian sourced
2g Ashwagandha, three times daily with some meal or calories
1.8g Reishi mushroom extract three times daily
10mg melatonin nightly
Boswell Serrata

Examine.com for sources
site:examine.com [keyword] for specific Google searches

I should say most if not all of these especially Spirulina and Ashwagandha are synergetic and or safe with chemo and other treatments, as the studies were usually done alongside with treatment

Oh and garlic, ten cloves a dau, better with pills

toxic to balls if you're not sick so limit to two cloves a day otherwise

Godspeed user, I'm sure you read this quote before but if I develop a terminal illness I think it'll help me move through it

Godspeed user

It's been an honor shitposting with you

fuck you he already has cancer

>I've heard that with cancer low-carb diets are beneficial since tumors feed off of carbs primarily

Not true. Tumors feed off anything you feed off. Most foods that help prevent cancers and prevent tumors from growing are carb-rich (fruits, whole grains, beans, sweet potatoes and squash)

If it's that bad, I would consider ditching the chemo and enjoying the time you have left as best you can. Might as well try alternative medicines and shit if you feel like it and they won't cause her any discomfort. Get her some dank weed while you're at it.

I'm not the guy you quoted, but it seems you're severely misunderstanding some relatively basic oncology.

Many types of cancer cells lack enzymes to metabolize fat and protein, and can thus only survive by metabolizing carbohydrates (mainly glucose as far as I'm aware). This is not true for normal human cells, which can survive just fine without carbohydrates from the diet, and can even synthesize carbohydrates from other compounds if needed.

You can easily find many sources on google if you're interested. Here's the first hit for a 'cancer carbohydrate' search:

medscape.com/viewarticle/757713

I have no comment on the credibility of that specific source.

>your energy is still around
Goddamnit this is some of the dumbest shit I've seen. Your energy/matter cannot be recombined in a way such that your consciousness will exist again. The fact of the matter is it goes onto to become decomposed shit then a tree is all nice and poetic but ultimately is nothing but some of the the gayest false deluded comfort shit one can pull out of their ass. Yes it's true matter is neither created or destroyed but when you die you can't be recovered. So this is nothing to be happy about unless you're retarded like the person who finds this dumb shit uplifting and meaningful.

This guys right, dreamless sleep is what being dead feels like. The "energy" people talk about is specific things that remind people of your personality.

It doesnt have anything to do with you

How can you be this ignorant of what cancer is? Induction gone awry?
Do you even know how to cycle?

So are kept diets viable anti cancer diets?

You said many types, are there cancer cells that can survive on fats and protein/amino acids?

What's your favorite and most promising up and coming cancer treatment?

I used to be a student of one of the major US marijuana researchers. He would probably recommend a low-thc, high cannabinol medical marijuana vaporized or as an edible (along with chemo).

Anecdotally I've heard some pretty amazing results with animals and a handful of people, but I really want to stress how fringe his ideas are.

However, I've seen MMJ do some amazing things for chemo patient side-effects like nausea and poor appetite. Frankly, it's how I would choose to go if this ever happened to me. Good luck OP.

>So are kept diets viable anti cancer diets?
I'm sorry, I have no idea what a kept diet is.

>You said many types, are there cancer cells that can survive on fats and protein/amino acids?
Yes. Many cancer cells have fucked up mitochondria, which makes them unable to metabolize fat/protein. Cancer cells with fully functional mitochondria will be able to metabolize fat/protein.

>What's your favorite and most promising up and coming cancer treatment?
No comment.

*keto, high fat low carb, or anything low carb

>cancer cells with fully functional mitochondria
Is that the worst case scenario? Does that only rely on chemo to treat?

>no comment
aw come on
is there some super secret development you have some NDA on?

Best of luck OP. Waste no time and make her feel loved. Do all the needed talk with her.

1/2

>*keto, high fat low carb, or anything low carb
Oh. There is limited evidence that keto diets may suppress tumor growth and cell proliferation in certain aforementioned types of cancer, but to my knowledge very little research has been done on this, and I don't expect to see much new research on this.

There is also limited evidence for the efficacy of ingestion of large doses of marihuana on a few specific types of cancer. Again, don't expect to see much new research on this.

>Is that the worst case scenario? Does that only rely on chemo to treat?
That depends. Other factors come into play as well, e.g. cancer cell immunomodulation, the ability of the cancer cells to migrate, which types of tissue the cancer cells usually migrate to, etc.

If a cancer cell can metabolize all nutrients normal cells can, you cannot hope to suppress it through diet in most if not all cases.

2/2

>aw come on
>is there some super secret development you have some NDA on?
Nah. Most treatments are basically just a rough homing in on cells overexpressing some type of receptors, hoping that the other cells that express the same receptors don't die off in big enough amounts to cause serious problems.

Whereas the delivery methods might change slightly, I don't see this changing any time soon. Sure, cool new methods like CRISPR/Cas9 have been discovered and might even be improved to the point of actually being useful sometime in the future, but you have to understand how fucking small a single cell is, and in order to not relapse (i.e. not get cancer again after treatment) you need to kill every single cancer cell. The problem then becomes how the fuck you're going to target something you can't even see or detect in any reliable manner, while not fucking up normal cells.

If anything, I see the most promise in immunotherapy. If you can modify a leukocytic cell line to attack cancer more effectively, this will probably be the best method at some point in the future. The problem of targeting specific receptors (as discussed above) still remains, though.

---

All that being said, your mother was simply born too early for medical science to be able to help her. If what you said in the OP is true, your mother should've already been told approximately how long she has left. Personally I'd spend a lot of time with her and try to have a good time instead of hoping for miracle cures, but I'm not telling you what to do.

Neat, thanks for the reply
No no, I'm not OP, just a lurker interested on the topic

thank you for the work you do

Theres some rat trials proving fruitful for this sort of thing but it involves some serious radiation therapy. Plus theres no telling when itll be approved for clinical trials...

Consider alternative medicine as the placebo effect embodied: dont spend too much money, and try to focus on treatments that she finds entertaining. The goal is to make her comfy and minimize shock to the body through dumb things like lemon enemas.

Never start a treatment before consulting her physician. If fake medicine messes with real medicine youre going the wrong direction.

My condolences, user.

Godspeed user.

youtube.com/watch?v=GNSBctmMI3k

Read up on CRISPR. It's cutting edge medical research that has successfully cured cancer in humans, but is still very early stage and isn't approved for widespread use.

Supposedly it's simple enough that you can do it in your garage if you have the right knowledge. It's a long shot, but if you're determined enough you might be able to pull it off.

>Any "fringe" treatments out there that might be viable for a Stage IV metastatic breast cancer patient?

Are there fringe treatments? Yes. Are they viable? No.

Your best bet at a wild-card chance is to enroll your mother in clinical studies. Imbibing a bunch of herbs and bringing her to faith healers will do nothing but waste your money.

Following up on this, an example of treatments in the 'bullshit category' is everything this guy is telling you to use.

I mean seriously,
>10g Spirulina, Hawaiian sourced

Yep, the cancer cells don't know to die unless they can smell the sweet Hawaiian air on the spirulina you're using.

>It's cutting edge medical research that has successfully cured cancer in humans

This is an incredibly extraordinary claim, would you please source me on this? I am interested in how on earth they'd manage to target all the cancer cells with CRISPR/Cas9, because managing that (i.e. genetically modifying ALL of the cancer cells) seems nigh impossible at our current technological level.

If you were talking about immunotherapy, you can just disregard this post.

>"fringe" treatments out there that might be viable for a Stage IV metastatic breast cancer patient?

Immunotherapy with genetically engineered T cells.

Worked for malignant melanoma but good luck getting rolled into a clinical trial for it. I don't even know if there's any such trial yet.

If Steve Jobs couldn't do it, with all his wealth, you ain't gonna do it

No of course not, they've just did it in vitro.

The fuck is your problem?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278762
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20560112
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22325339

I could go on, I mentioned the website with all the sources

>Hawaiian sourced
Because as an algae, you want a safe and clean source of it, because it is highly susceptible to heavy metals and fertilizers that you might get from a shitty source in India or China or Thailand or wherever

It's not bullshit at all, they're all valid supplements to take, even alongside chemo, you're just too ignorant to read for yourself

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17928122

my grandma has terminal cancer, let's feel

Kill the cancer stem cells somehow while continuing normal chemo to kill their non-pluripotent descendants. Cancer stem cells are the ultimate source of metastases but they are incredibly hard to kill -- I've hit them with 32 rads of x-rays, any given chemotherapy drug around, etc, and everything else on the platter dies but after a day or two the stem cells start dividing again. They use a strange approach to division; their chromosomes don't align on spindles with the centromeres. The nuclear envelope itself remains largely stable.

Research cancer stem cells. See papers by Thilly et al, the Broad Institute at MIT, etc.

They are the stem cells of organ development; a tumor forms when one of them gets confused and tries to build a new organ. We have to somehow figure out how to kill them without killing normal cells.

But remember the bulk mass of the tumor is from their descendant cells and still requires chemo to kill. They are just the core.

Why did they name it some funny name like Navelbine?

Sounds like what you call a pinto bean stuck in your belly button