Dumb question, but what's the name of the sun?

Dumb question, but what's the name of the sun?

Other urls found in this thread:

iau.org/public/themes/naming/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the sun

Jeremy

Sol

son

edgelord9000x69shadow

Only legit answer here

Sun

With a capital S, just like Earth's moon is Moon.

Adolf

Jesus Christ

Its called the Sun, in whatever language you are speaking. It has no universal official name

We arent speaking latin so no

>in whatever language you're speaking
False: in spanish, portuguese, swedish, danish and norweigan it is called Sol. In french it is Soleil, and italian Sole.
Source: any fucking dictionary

The Sun

If you want to complain take it up with the IAU
iau.org/public/themes/naming/

Earth's moon is Luna

>False: in spanish, portuguese, swedish, danish and norweigan it is called Sol
So? Thats what its called in those languages. The Sun, the Moon, the Solar System and the Milky Way all have no official name

Earths moon is the Moon in english

read the post again

Some people would say Sol. Hence SOLar system. SOLar eclipse. SOLar flare. Whereas the moon is sometimes called Luna; hence Lunar eclipse, Lunar module, etc.

I'm confused. You call it whatever the word for the Sun is in the language you are speaking

That's what the post you're responding to said. "Sun, in whatever language you are speaking" implying translation.

Personally, I prefer the common scifi trope of Sol in English contexts, because Sun sounds fucking ambiguous when the word has a more general purpose. Of course, this only helps in an English-centric manner, someone who grew up with Sol being their generic word will feel that it's just as fucking stupid.

A sol means something else in astrophysics.

Enlighten me please? Attempted to google and was only lead towards notation of [math]X_[/math] meaning X compared to the Sun.

Pedro Martinez

A sol is how long it takes for a planet to rotate on its axis (a Terran sol is 24 hours)

Sure that wasn't named for the sun? Like, time from sunrise to sunrise?

It is named for the Sun.

>Earth's moon is Moon
illiteritardedness

Really? He always looked more like a Greg to me

Its name is Helios.

Is the sun dying?

A better question is what is the name of the Earth

Earth: Gaia

no, earth's name is earth
we're speaking english not latin or whatever gaia comes from

Sun
Sol
Helios

All the inhabitants of this planet can't even agree on what its name is. Aliens would look down on us.

Zentralgestirn

By that logic wouldn't the sun be called Solar?

Well, there is no need for a name until we meet aliens

>what is a suffix

It's Sol

There are many suns, but there's only one Sol

Luna is moon in Italian but I agree, this is the true name of earths moon

you're an a sol

Sol
Our star system is Sol system

Mercury is named after a Roman god. Venus is named after a Roman goddess. Mars is named after the Roman god of war. Jupiter is named after the Roman god of sky and thunder. Saturn is named after a Roman god. Uranus is named after a Greek god. Neptune is named after the Roman god of sea. Pluto is named after a Greek god.

Therefore, earth's name is Gaia, after the Greek goddess . And the sun's name is Helios, after the Greek god.

Ra

An Egyptian god wouldn't make sense between Roman and Greek gods

Inti

sun=Sun
moon=Moon
earth=Earth

next question

>There are many suns

Erik gordourson

In our ancient language we call the sun Aurinko (Au meaning gold and rinko meaning a ring.) Universally meaning we are engaged to our sun and its golden light until death do us part.

What's the name of our earth?

May I be the first to suggest that we call our planet Jesus's Planet in honour of the Son of God? I'm being serious.

Terra, duh

>

>There are many stars, but there's only one sun

ftfy

Believe it or not, but things can have more than one name.

>There are many suns, but only one Sun

Fixed it for both of you

I bless Ra, the fierce Sun burning bright.
I bless Isis, Lunar in the Night.
I Bless the Air a Horus Hawk.
I Bless the Earth on which I walk.

That's wrong though.

Hyperion
Also epic thread.

A sun lower case is any star that is the centre of a planetary system

PRO_GAMER_EXTRENE

thread should have ended here

Look guys, the IAU is in charge of naming space born objects internationally. It doesn't matter what language it's in, the IAU is the official naming.

The Sun is 'The Sun'
The Moon is 'The Moon'
The Earth is 'The Earth'

None of that fantasy novel bullshit like 'Sol' or 'Tera' ok? This is a science board for god's sake.

Sol 3

>I bless Isis
Get v& m8

That has to be bait

that is pretty

Sun with capital S, but 'sun' I think has a more contextual meaning. I doubt this is written in any dictionary, but to me a sun is a star as seen from/near the surface of a body in orbit around it. I look at stars in the night sky and the word 'sun' doesn't feel right for them; to me they are just stars. But if I were to stand on the surface of a planet around one of them I'd be inclined to refer to it as "the sun".

The astro community will probably give it a more distinct name if and when humans colonize other star systems.

>Ra

Hail to the Sun god
He sure is a fun god
Rah Rah Rah

(ancient hymn, ok?)

>he even capitalised the root for you

also
>Veeky Forums arguing about naming and definitions
boy never seen this happen before!

A sun lower case is a star with a planetary system

Helios

/thread

/thread.

It's called "the sun" and everything else is just the ridiculous attempt to sound sophisticated. Same "the moon" btw.

>"the Sun" is the universal name of our star

dumb americans

Well we speak English, so it's "the sun". If this was a german board we would say "die Sonne", if it was a french board we would say "le soleil", if it was a polish board we would say "słońce" etc. I hope you get the idea. There are no universal names for those things, just like there's no universal language. I wish that existed though, like back in the days when latin was the widely accepted language of sciences. The closest thing to that atm is interestingly English.

G2V

>
>>in whatever language you're speaking
>False: in spanish, portuguese, swedish, danish and norweigan it is called Sol. In french it is Soleil, and italian Sole.
>Source: any fucking dictionary

and in urdu it's sooraj
source: same

>Look guys, the IAU is in charge of naming space born objects internationally. It doesn't matter what language it's in, the IAU is the official naming.

Yeah and according to their naming policy it's 'G2V star'!!

But Sol is literally just Sun in spanish. Same for Luna = Moon.

Nope, in portuguese there are many sóis.

>Spanish
IT'S FUCKING LATIN YOU UNEDUCATED PRICK, USE GOOGLE

Whatever you want it to be. Consensus and intelligibility are overrated. It's not like any other word came about in the absence of a pioneer independently declaring things to be named.

Well trolled, my friend. But for the record:

Its proper English name is the Sun
Its proper English name is the Moon
Its proper English name is Earth

Deal with it

Sol (Latin)

BE HIS/HER/XER NAME NOT OBVIOUS TO YOU? PRAISE THE SUN

Sunny McSunface

Luna

In shitty sci-fi: Sol.
In real life: the Sun.

I thought it was Sirius

the star we orbit is called the sun
the natural satellite that orbits us is called the moon

The Sun is a star the Moon is a satellite.

Earth is the third planet in the Sun star system. You should visit us sometime.

Who cares what it's called in urdu?

>Earthestreal position
>Sunner power
>Mooner ecclipse
Sounds dumb

Sol.

Sol, right?

Sol
Tera
Luna

No. We are speaking english so its the Sun and the Moon

>100 replies for this