Aside from differential equations, calculus and transforms...

Aside from differential equations, calculus and transforms, what mathematical disciplines should a physicist be proficient in?

Other urls found in this thread:

staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no linear algebra
>no functional analysis
>wants to do physics
wew

all of them

staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/

series

calculus of functors, umbral calculus, lambda calculus, propositional calculus, tensor calculus, predicate calculus, functional calculus, variational calculus...etc.

>steak and ketchup

Please put trigger warning next time.

I was offended at first and then I got really curious what in the hell he's doing with the knife, as if he intends to dislodge the steak in the ketchup and leave it there, or he wants to cut it and is a fucking moron. Then I noticed that the knife is not being held, yet it is almost certainly lodged in the fork. Why?

Same question but for computer science, aside from calculus, diffeq, linear algebra, and combinatorics

As an MPhys, this is the minimum. These are the basics of Physics. You need much more if you are to do anything relevant. For a general understanding of Physics, however, this is a good start.

I agree. Waste of a good steak.

Misteaks were made.

That depends where you are in your education. For example, being able to solve PDEs won't be much help if you're in your first year of undergrad.

I don't think you would call a freshman a physicist though.

You're not a physicist until you get a phd.

Addition and subtraction

I've always wondered at what point you would call someone a physicist. I personally believe that it should be reserved for PhD recipients only, but I know more than one high school teacher who would call himself a physicist.

That's all it really is.

I do that too.
Usually it's just me having fun while I chew my food, I try to find the right position for the knife to hold on its own.

nothing wrong with that.
I bet you also like your meat undercooked (anything less than well done).

discrete math, probability and random variables, sentential and predicate logic and graph theory

I'm pretty sure at least 90% of those "muhh red meat" are just pretending because it's become fancy to prefer meat that way.

I'd argue those teachers are wrong

Maybe stats, if you want to get into something involving large numbers, like the movement of some arbitrarily large amount of particles.

Yeah. In my experience the title of mathematician is thrown around even more liberally. I'm guilty of saying things like "the mathematician in me" or "the physicist in me" sometimes even though I only have a bachelors in those things.

I'd disagree but that's because my dad is a medical physicist with only a master's degree in geophysics(he switched in the 80's when oil prices floored).

a B.S. in Physics(which is where I'm at, currently) might be pushing it, but I think master's should be acceptable.

But isn't PhD or die a more recent occurrence? So it could vary with age and it could also vary with what the hell you're doing with your life. If you're an Astrophysics PhD teaching high school physics for example.

Sex

It's basically mathematics

You add the clothes, subtract the bed, divide the kids and multiply the legs

Oh fuck me, Bobby. That shit right there is what it's all about, high quality shit.

Whooooooooey

>Linear algebra
>Abstract algebra (in particular group and rep theory)
Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go:
>Topology
>Algebraic topology
>Differential geometry
>Algebraic geometry
>Probability theory

>Functional analysis

In physics using functional analysis largely a Veeky Forums meme, the pathological cases that necessitate the introduction of functional analysis are ignored. You should read about if you're interested, but I think it's of limited use to a physicists.

>In physics using functional analysis largely a Veeky Forums meme
t. brainlet who never took a QM course

xDDD lmao i know right?? i reposted this as soon as I could on facebook for that sweet sweet karma

user you can go through most QM books, including graduate QM, none of them cover functional analysis. Groups, reps, probability theory and regular linear algebra are all you need. Like I've already said, the pathological cases, in physics, are just assumed to not exist. Sure if you want to learn it go ahead, but it'll be of limited use (if it's useful at all) compared to other subjects you can learn.

fuckkkk I'm hungry now
when they are doing physics professionally? In whatever capacity
You're a special snowflake, huh?
Functional Analysis is largely unnecessary to people who actually want to do physics. It's like learning analysis on the reals or complex numbers, it's nice to know and to have those tools at your disposal, but desu you just never really need them

I think he meant QFT.
As above, it's necessary for QFT, but also useful for any kind of optimisation problem.

>QFT
qft

isnt that calculus

nice meme, faggot, is this way

>wahh sakurai didn't explicitly require me to take a course in it so I don't need it!
sure, if you'd like to be a second-rate experimentalist or a third-rate theorist, you can do QM without the more powerful notions of functional analysis; but if you want to do actual, professional level research, particularly in CMT, you can't get by with the weak tools that just linear algebra and friends give provide