If the width and length have to be equal is a ball the most aerodynamic object?

if the width and length have to be equal is a ball the most aerodynamic object?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kline–Fogleman_airfoil
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is this way

my bad

is that way

By what criterion? If I had a ball of putty, I would fashion it into a very thin cylinder to reduce cross sectional area and I'm pretty sure I'd do better than a ball.

A flat square.
You never said anything about height :^)

oh shit sorry.

oh yeah i meant circumference. i guess correct criteria for this kinda stuff is volume and length so lets just say that length is 1 and volume is 0.52

is that way my man

how about this?

>>/gd/

also no a ball is not the most aerodynamic
a thin sheet is

is that way

man i kinda fucked up with this thread maybe i should try again another day.

What about rotations?

how about now?

>>>/politically correct/

Fuck I love this thread

i'm glad that there is atleast some enjoyment to be had from this thread

now, another question:

which of the shapes has less drag and why, or are they equal in drag?

Wow fag real funny, see you on r/Veeky Forums xDDDD

>left to right
fuckckck

There is software for this. Look up the lattice boltzmann model. It's slow but parallelizable. You can put whatever shape you want and qualitatively (or quantitatively with more work) answer this question through simulations.

top one
no, because airflow isn't completely symmetrical

why does the top one have less drag?

also, what is the most aerodynamic shape then considering the criteria being that it's length is 1 and volume is 0.52

that would be Veeky Forums

> why does the top one have less drag?
the top one has a more gradual area that air has to deal with, and the effects of the sudden end of the airfoil are less than the drag effect of the flat surface facing the airflow
> also, what is the most aerodynamic shape then considering the criteria being that it's length is 1 and volume is 0.52

I think a symmetrical airfoil.

Things to think about:
1. Different domains of airspeed lead to different drag conditions (Stoke's drag, Newton's drag, transonic flow, and supersonic flow), with all sorts of different forces dominating the physics of what's going on
2. There's lots of different tricks that are used to fight drag, including the dimples on golf balls and Kline-Fogleman foils (which I just learned about)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kline–Fogleman_airfoil

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

what about this, the points distribute pressure more evenly, the hairs on the tail prevent a vortex from forming

pretty sure those create more vortexes

sears haack body is the least amount of drag an object of certain volume and length can have but with 1 length and 0.52 volume would it just end up looking like a sphere? i wonder if there is some kind of simulator for drawing sears haack bodies where you can input volume and length

Wouldn't a square, but dropped diagonally, be more aerodynamic than a sphere?

i was thinking this as well, i don't know about those hairs though.

if this shape would indeed have the least drag shouldn't the sears haack body have some resemblance? with those extra curves on the tips i mean.

*cube i meant

>i'm a mathematician with a strong background in physics, this should be a piece of cake
>look up supersonic aerodynamics

guys help i'm having a crisis here what the fuck is this shit

>>>/fr/

that's not what arrows say

>why does the top one have less drag?
skin drag is less significant than form drag

Fluid dynamics is the devil

is this way my frand (plenty of frogs there)

>length 1
>volume 0.52
that's not a sphere

Why the fuck would you suggest LBM for this. Literally any FEM solver will be more available, easier to use, faster and more accurate than LBM for this sort of thing

I apologize, I'm a retard who forgot that "length" is diameter in a sphere.

Raindrop is most aerodynamic shape

no

the pic for this post is the most aerodynamic shape. Essentially a cylinder whose ends taper to diameter zero.

at first one might think that it is a picture drawn with a compass but actually it is calculated mathematically, interesting stuff