State of Dentistry. Are they real doctors?

So I was wondering what you guys thought about this in a serious way.
Dentistry evolved separate from medicine in the US in the 19th century due to the high demand. Every body needed a dentist and everybody needed a physician.

Both physicians and dentists made up doctorate degrees to associate themselves with real doctors in academic institutions. Neither the MD or the DMD are real doctorates in the literal sense of the word. Doctor means to teach in latin. At the time the there were a lot of Quack physicians and dentists running around. The doctor title allowed the real deal to market themselves for patients to easily find educated help.

Today with fluoridation and patient education it seems like demand for dentists is declining. Youth need less fillings than any generation before due to fluoridated water protection. Almost nobody smokes anymore.

and the dentists are doing most of the work on poly-pharm older patients who's cocktail of drugs are ruining their teeth and replacing silver fillings which wear out after about 10 years.

At the same time Dental school now costs more than medical school. Tuition is roughly $50,000 for med and $60,000 for dental. Dental schools are expensive as hell to run. The first two years are almost the exact same as medical school and some schools even integrate them right with the med students.

Other urls found in this thread:

animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t5-canker-sores-herpes.htm
animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t1_canker_sores.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm wondering if we will see the collapse of Dentistry as a separate profession in our lifetimes. Dental schools are becoming more and more expensive to run, becoming more and more reduntant with medical schools as they realize that teeth are part of the body, and the need for dentists is declining in the developed world.

I predict that within our lifetimes we will see future dentists get an MD and then train in residency to do the dental surgeries that are currently taught in dental school.

This would be a cheaper alternative for patients and doctors. It would also reduce the volume of dentists being trained every year to match the decline in need for dentists.

Thoughts?

This is totally wrong. I'm not in dental school, starting medical school, but a lot of people in my family in dentistry.

Dental demand is expected to grow like 20% or something, which is good.

Dental schools are more expensive, but you can make more money as a general dentist than a family doctor. The hours are better, and less training.

Everyone needs a dentist now and they will for a long time. A lot of peoples teeth are shit, you have no idea.

Well its expected to grow with the aging boomers. They all have silver fillings that need replaced. but after the boomers are gone? The population itself will drop AND most of these younger generations grew up with flourdiated water, which means their teeth are much more resistant to caries.

>which means their teeth are much more resistant to caries.
this ain't true
and most dentist problems are not cavities

Yeah fluoride gets woven in to the hydroxy apetite crystal structure and its not really worth arguing about at this point.

Which weakens the teeth, making them more brittle, and does nothing to prevent cavities

The best way to prevent cavities is to not go to dentists so they don't scrape the shit out of your teeth with a sharp metal tool.

Millenials don't go to the dentist. Once Gen X dies out, dentistry will go the way of the old fashioned straight razor barber shop.

I brush my teeth once every few weeks lel

Have fun with losing your gums then.

I visited a dentist while out of state and before I told him this in the slightest, he said, "You grew up in another state, didn't you? I can tell by your teeth. Other states have different fluoride levels."

I'm still incredulous.

>Are they real doctors?
MDs aren't real doctors, they're glorified tradesmen with pretentious titles and very clever, very underhanded PR.

They're full of bullshit about how medicine is inherently very hard and mistakes are unavoidable, while constantly pretending to know more than they do, neglecting basics like checklists and washing their hands between touching patients, lying to cover for their own and each others' mistakes, suppressing technologies and organizational methods that would allow people with less training to do better work, and colluding to maintain a perpetual undersupply of people certified to practice so they are ensured high incomes and job security even for that large proportion of them who are dangerously incompetent.

"Doctor" is a title meaning "teacher". A doctorate is supposed to be a qualification to teach (i.e. as a university professor), not to practice a trade or participate in a profession. Lawyers and engineers don't call themselves "doctors", but then again, they don't conspire to undersupply their services, either.

Scumbags need to be dealt with.

Damn that's edgy.

It's the simple truth. If every medical doctor died today, we might have a couple of rough years while we sorted things out, but in less than five years we'd have a much better healthcare system with far lower costs and better outcomes.

wew

>less training
>for medical professionals

What?

Dentist.
> 4 years undergraduate, 4 years Dental School, Practice (Unless in NY or DE, you need 1 year training)

Basic Family Doctor
> 4 years undergraduate, 4 years Medical School, 3 year residency minimum, Practice

Did a doctor steal your girlfriend or something?

>all the surgeons, oncologists, and pathologists die

People would be fucked

>you

I came here to post something similar. Ultimately unnecessary faith should be identified and iteratively stripped. People have to develop solid risk assessment and accept that the only person you can count on to look out for you, is yourself.

Most people are stupid. If you educate a stupid person, you only get an "educated" stupid person. Why is this? I don't know, but it's quite clear that's how it works. Medicine, when it isn't incompetent, is at best a front for pharmaceutical companies (which are reliant on the insurance game) and medical supply manufacturers.

Real shame.

Dentists are complete charlatans. They will totally fuck up your teeth for you and recommend procedures you don't need or shouldn't ever have. They can't fucking wait to test out their new whiz-bang tools and procedures they just learned from a lecture.

Not to mention the rise of excessive cone bean CT use, even on children.

The machines are expensive and only have a relative narrow spectrum of use cases. So they use the fuck out of them anyway to rapidly recoup their investment, and because fine visualization of soft tissues is kinda neat. That and repeated panoramic xrays. Have fun with those cataracts ;), see you in 6 months.

If people can self-diagnose most of their problems online
Then people with less training could too

Self diagnosis is difficult because you can't order tests yourself. As someone who unraveled and fixed most of their lifelong problems, I would know exactly what gets in your way.

My dentist told me a canker sore is herpes

>self-diagnose

There are tons of reasons this is a really bad idea.

lol

animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t5-canker-sores-herpes.htm

animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t1_canker_sores.htm

every time i bite myself hard, i get one. Doesnt start forming right away, but i still get them.

>Viruses may play a role in aphthous ulcer formation by way of causing an immune response.
>Herpes Simplex

interesting, so that means a canker sore flare up would be blocked a herpes lesion?

And tons of reasons it's a really good idea.

Oh gosh golly, life is at it again. Being all nuanced, inherently dualistic and such. That gosh darn universe what was it thinking.

My dentist is a Vietnamese guy who seems pretty based. Always trying to avoid doing anything unnecessary. I always try to ask as much as I can about what's wrong with my teeth so I have a decent idea of what needs to be done and I don't feel I've been misled by my dentist. Generally pretty based.

I recently waited 4 months to get two mildly impacted (one of which was infected) wisdom teeth, removed. I told them in advance I wouldn't go for IV (general) anesthesia. Repeatedly. Blah blah blah, that ought to be fine but you'll have to discuss it at the consult, but I'm sure it's fine.

Get to the appointment, reading the paperwork they have all the wisdom teeth noted for removal, I cross out 1 and 16. Lines of communication aren't always grand, fine enough. Go to their glorified back room where they don't allow anyone else to come in with you. Oral surgeon walks in, " Hi Mr. You, I'm Some Indian Prick, I understand you don't want general anesthesia, but you don't have a choice." I tell him something along the lines of "Bluntly this won't change."
"Alright, I guess we're done here."
"Yeah. That's that."
We're already out the door. He says "good luck finding someone who'll do it like that."
Consult lasted 10 seconds. I was a fool to be strung along.

Dentistry nets out as a massive scam, but they have major leverage when you need them. And when you don't play along just the way they want, you begin to hit walls fast.

By the way, no "racism" intended against Indians. They just come here and 9/10 act like complete assholes. They're supporting most of our decaying educational infrastructure, and unfortunately come to fill the demand left by our own population either not being inclined, or being too stupid to enter these fields. I mean seriously, a Nigerian oncologist who can barely get passed the language barrier and communicate to his patients. What are you even doing here?

This is a science board, and no one is questioning some of these posts? The troll posts I understand, but it's very obvious that the average age here is probably 16-25. Guess what! You don't have a clue what you're in for in 10-15 years guys. Find a good dentist now, you're going to need one!

Pro-tip: if he says "I think we can just do a crown (onlay would be even better here) instead of a root canal" you'd better stick with him!

And floss, you degenerate fucks!

Autism

>By the way, no "racism" intended against Indians.
where do you think you are, faggot

This is more to do with the general marxist slant of society, foreigners are always to be held over natives. Most especially in places like higher education.

msituA

Tons of young people still need fillings. The benefits of fluoride are being outweighed by the amount of sugar and starch in modern US diets. Soda, energy drinks, juice, etc alone are enough to keep us in business forever. I'll tell people they have X amount of cavities, ask them about their diet, then when they tell me they drink a liter of coke and 3 starbucks a day I explain that's the probable culprit, and they blatantly tell me they're not going to change their dietary habits. They'd rather keep eating and drinking shit and pay for fillings and crowns.

The beautiful thing about dentistry as a business is you can give people everything they need to know to never get a dental problem again, and they'll ignore the advice anyways and pay you infinitely. You don't have to lie about anything, people are just retarded and cause their own problems then convince themselves you're lying so they don't have to change their destructive habits.

They can be induced by trauma. Canker sores can also be induced by trauma though. If it's occurring on keratinized tissue it's herpes.

If I had the money I would perform extensive research to prove, without any doubt, that fluorine compounds are net inferior to theobromine as far as remineralization potential and durability.

Are you okay with water fluoridation?