So how do avocados still exist...

So how do avocados still exist? There haven't been any land animals alive for millions of years that would be able to eat the avocado whole and shit out the seed to plant more.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab
youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resplendent_quetzal#Feeding
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

humans breed them you tard

But how long have we been planting them, like a few thousand years?

to compliment the avocado number.

there's an episode of scishow about this

The avocado falls to the ground and bounces/rolls a tiny distance. The "fruit" rots away. The seed is now in soil.

>There haven't been any land animals alive for millions of years that would be able to eat the avocado whole and shit out the seed to plant more

Implying this statement is correct
Implying our modern variety looks anything like the original wild variety (case point; the banana)
Implying all fruit need to be eaten by animals
Implying starting this shit-tier thread will give you more useful data than simply reading the wiki entry on avocado’s
Implying this isn’t a thinly veiled “what is the evolutionary purpose of…”-thread

Go away, OP. Go away and never come back.

avocados would have disappeared if not for aztecs. Animals that could eat them disappeared (giant ground sloths and glyptodons).
Avocados need to be eaten by those animals, and the seeds get out the other side with fertilizer (photosynthesis is not an option in the dense forest)

They disappeared a 10000 years ago, but humans hapened around that time and figured out how to cultivate avocado.

>Avocados need to be eaten by those animals
How can you be so sure?

When overripe you only need to step on one to expose the nut. And it is not obvious you need to expose it anyway to get it to germinate.

Can't you read? He literary said that the seed needed animal shit as fertilizer (energy source) because the other trees take most of the sunlight for themselves already. Without the shit avocado trees couldn't grow.

Mfw Avocados are literally a miracle of the universe

You do realize that decomposing fat of the avocado becomes a fertilizer, right? It doesn't have to pass through a digestive channel to gain energy.

You do know that soil is filled with animal shit right?

Same way we exist

for the lulz?

But the animal can't eat the avocado in the first place.

The animal can eat it in parts or eat around the seed.

Fucking hell.

What is the evolutionary purpose of the fat in an avocado?

Again, the avocado falls, the soft part rots away, and the seed is now in soil.

>How do coconuts still exist!?!? No animal can open them up!!?! Evolution is a lie!

Same as pineapples and chestnuts

Why cant it just fall on the ground and germinate, why does it need to be shitted out by a giant sloth.

gravity

Where are the seeds in the bananas ?

Why waste energy on fruit at all then?

Where are the seeds in seedless watermelons?

they are clones

Yes

show me the OG bananas

because the seed needs to be protected. fruit is made from the biology of the plant, all biology is energy and carbs. its a biological matrix that which other animals can consume to gain energy. fruit hits two birds with one stone. it attracts animals to eat it and to transport the seed and fruit protects the seed. its really ingenious actually.

an advocado wasn't meant to be eaten at all. we grew it into having more flesh. pic related: it's how wild avocado's look.
the shell is just there for protection, and method of spreading just rolling a few feet from the mother tree. it wasn't meant to be eaten by animals at all, so yeah, you are right on the "land animals havent been eating avocado's" part.

Inside the fruit. We've bred the bananas and got a generation that did not have seeds. Normally this would just die off without producing offspring, but in this case we just cloned the fruit because we like to manipulate nature like that.

Jeb Bush magic

what the FUCK

PLEASE tell me there is a book on this subject and modified fruits in general, I am now interested

Jesus are you 14?

>Whoa bananas actually have seeds!?

>This is awesome man knowelllllgggee!

Fucking kill yourself you pleb.
You're ignorance is disgusting.

Sorry for being rude but you're clearly not old enough to be here.

Why don't they sell this kind of banana?

How do coconuts still exist? They haven't any land animal alive for millions of years that would be able to eat the coconut whole and shit it out to plant more.

>I'm likely being told this by a 20 year old
Fruits and agricultural history are so far down my priority list, but they are interesting when it comes up, so yes, I am ignorant but that should have been obvious since if I wasn't, I wouldn't be asking for a book on the subject

>You're
>kys sorry but not sorry
You could've just said you just looked up on Wikipedia and don't know any book as opposed to showing everyone how miserable you are with your unstable inferiority complex

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

For

if you have nothing to contribute, please shut the fuck up.

The animals can step on the seeds and drive them into the ground, they can get especially deep if its muddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4

Do not believe his lies

>being curious is a bad thing
kys

This

If I recall correctly, their extinction coincided with the time humans started practicing agriculture in central/south America

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resplendent_quetzal#Feeding
turns out a bird eats and distributes them

You numbskulls, the reason the avocados needed the animals to eat them was because the digestive juices strip away the outer coating of the seed itself and activate it. The animal shit is bonus fertilizer in a place where the ground is always covered with decaying leaves.

>if you fucking have fucking nothing to fucking contribute then fucking shut the fuck up

how is the seed so shiny?

>cultivate
what did he mean by this?

That's actually a polished ceramic bowling ball in a giant plastic avacado.

>Why don't they sell this kind of banana?
Depends on where you are. Inside EU this is a hugely political thing where some countries pushed through that only bananas from their former colonies should be allowed into Europe. So Europe is a bit bland in this respect. Outside Europe you will find a huge variety of bananas, many of which are not for eating raw but usually fried.

Cite?

i put a few avocado seeds in a flower pot and now I have a few mini-trees. And I can assure you no digestive juices were involved.

They grow quickly at first, about 20 cm in a week or so. After that it grows slowly but can reach several meters in height with time also indoor in colder climates.

>In 1982, evolutionary biologist Daniel H. Janzen concluded that the avocado is an example of an 'evolutionary anachronism', a fruit adapted for ecological relationship with now-extinct large mammals (such as giant ground sloths or gomphotheres). Most large fleshy fruits serve the function of seed dispersal, accomplished by their consumption by large animals. There are some reasons to think that the fruit, with its mildly toxic pit, may have coevolved with Pleistocene megafauna to be swallowed whole and excreted in their dung, ready to sprout. No extant native animal is large enough to effectively disperse avocado seeds in this fashion.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

Under Coevolution. The fact that modern growers still need to pierce the pit to get it to grow also speaks to this.

underrated post

In the wild wouldn't am avocado fall from the tree and plant itself

I don't get the reference

>mfw avocado can be an ayy lmao

Ayyvocado?