How big can a person get before human bones and cartilage become too weak to support them?

How big can a person get before human bones and cartilage become too weak to support them?

Other urls found in this thread:

what-if.xkcd.com/77/
youtube.com/watch?v=20Fq2huhvEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's making them bigger? Isn't their bones getting larger, thus they wouldn't be small in proportion to the person.

Ordinary human growth. We can't make a skyscraper the height of a space elevator out of steel and concrete because the length would exceed the specific strength of the beams. The same logic holds true for a skeleton on a giant person.

I think the limit of the heart to pump blood to the brain would be reached before the limits of bones and cartilage.

Google tallest person on earth, anyone over 8 feet starts getting curved shin bones and hunchback.

If someone was bed ridden and had a machine pumping their blood, probably pretty fucking big.

Robert Wadlow was actually doing fine. He died due to a stupid ass infection, not even his height.

But that's not really the same thing as ordinary healthy growth, as most of the world's tallest people are only that height due to a pituitary tumor.

>ctrl-f
>ur mom
>0 results

Bones aren't the limiting factor in human height.

Makes sense, Robert Waldo looks really proportionate compared to most people with giantism

If you consider all species as the modified "common ancestor" the "largest ones" are things like elephants right? Those bones look way different in order to hold up. Otherwise it's not like a normal sized baby can stretch further than the bones and plates are already assumed to grow

Not answering the question at all, lol. Just mulling around it.

There bones would "swell" around however size they were when born. Eyes and stuck would stay the same size. Look at giant salamanders compared to hand sized ones and imagine it worth human anatomy

What is?

>fucking arts and crafts project
>science

This is why american universities are a joke.

I'm not that guy, but I'd guess the lower weight-bearing joints like your ankles, and knees.

so it turns out I was wrong, your bones do play a factor, as well as your organs.
"Thanks to the square-cube law, our bones would be too thin to support our weight and our hearts would be unable to pump blood around our bodies. Even breathing would be difficult; we might be able to position ourselves to keep our airways opened, but to breathe in a lungful of air would require very high airflow rates; we'd experience tornado winds all the way down our airways."
what-if.xkcd.com/77/
(I know, I know, xkcd is kind of popsci, but he does a good job at explaining things in an, as far as I can tell, accuratr scientific manner)

>classroom models in the days before readily accessible computer visualizations
All universities did this, user.

Six to eight feet seems to be the limit, and at that upper range a person isn't going to be able to live a normal life, they'll suffer from health complications which will probably shorten their lives abnormally. Your organs will fail you before your bones do, the tissues evolved to be in a certain range of sizes and they begin to fail in their functions the bigger they get.

ask /tv/
this is their speciality

Health problems related to pituitary hyperactivity and other hormonal changes should be adjusted for before we can say something definite about size's impact on health.

Bones won't be the first bottleneck. Vertebrae of elite powerlifters can take 1000+ lb barbell on shoulders. Bones can grow thicker, but also more dense. Muscles can grow in three dimensions.

The biggest problem has to be cardiovascular. It's the giraffe problem of moving column of blood against gravity.

So we can assume less gravity means more room for height increase? I thought it's because of putting less weight stress on growth plates rather than bloodflow pumping limits.

Yes.

This also presents a problem for any hypothetical future generations born on Mars who want to visit Earth.

24+ ft.

I'd guess that the bottleneck would be our joints not our bones.

I believe people living on Mars will need to be enhanced to Cyborgs anyway. Give them an artificial heart

>>/9gag/

That's why I said "bones and cartilage". I figured the cartilage would probably crap-out before the bones do, getting over-compressed and worn out, especially the knees and ankles.

This video will do you good. youtube.com/watch?v=20Fq2huhvEI

It didn't really say anything that hadn't already been said in this thread.