Continued from old thread nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html
nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/juno_160701.jpg

>share pics and vids
>debate scientific merit and expectations

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GJN8bXU70FA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JunoCam
planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/presskit/juno-hires.pdf
planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/06090600-what-to-expect-from-junocam.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wJiYoNN9lKk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

gimme pics :o

So can we apply any findings to the other gaseous planets as well?

To be perfectly honest, I am mainly looking forward to eerie/beautiful pictures (cassini style).

This shit is fake as fuck. Who took the picture of the satellite?

Of course nasa will say devices will take time.

Sage

Sage sage sage.

most eerie yet(?)

Why not go to Uranus and Neptun, how long would this take to reach ?

Blue planet > brown boring planet

image from earth based telescope.

A brown planet with a fucking eye, man

I watch that fucker and saturn almost every night lately

It took Voyager 2 some 12 years to reach Neptune, I dunno how fast they could do it today.
In fact how long can a probe even last for? If its built with a long term mission in mind with today's technology?

So what are we going to be getting from this probe, and when can we start expecting to see the results?

youtube.com/watch?v=GJN8bXU70FA

earth based telescope.

> NASA
you don't deserve shit

Haven't both of those storms on Neptune now dissipated?

Spooky blue

>I dunno how fast they could do it today.
I’m not sure but I would guess that the main propulsion comes from slingshot maneuvers and not from advanced rockets or other engines. Shortening the trip would be highly dependent on the alignment of the planets with limited opportunity for faster trajectories.

Anyone with more knowledge on this?

was a reply to

if you set a camera on delay while you are moving forward, you can take a picture from behind you

Looks like the only reason Juno had to go slow was so they could get into jupiter orbit at the end.
Too pussy to plan on using aerobraking at jupiter, I suppose

FAKE

How fucked would we be if Shoemaker–Levy 9 hit Earth?

Nasa meme. They're laughing at you.

royally

Does anyone know what scientific instruments Juno will be using to analyze the lower portions of Jupiter? Pictures are nice, but I'd love to know how they are going to look at the makeup of Jupiter below the top cloud layer.

when are those faggots going to fire up JunoCam?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JunoCam

i want to see the damage the radiation does to the sensor

>Goygle
oy vey

Will they be able to run the camera during the deorbit phase and send back images before it burns up?

planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/presskit/juno-hires.pdf
Here's a press kit with in-depth details on the whole mission including the instruments.

WHERE ARE PHOTOS IS THIS FAKE OR WHAT?

welp it seems junocam will only last 7-8 orbits before it dies :(

Yea props to the photographer getting the sattelite in shot, this is definitely real

Don't expect any good images until later this year
planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/06090600-what-to-expect-from-junocam.html

It seems all instruments including the camera were turned off before orbit insertion and wont be turned back on again until the 7th.
Captured this atleast
youtube.com/watch?v=wJiYoNN9lKk

Thanks user

absolute failure, imagery should be number one priority shit like this make me skeptical they even out there

you rather the camera gets fried before it's put to use?

>imagery should be number one priority
Why?

>shit like this make me skeptical they even out there
??

The orbit is 55 days, so for a liitle time every 55 days they'll be 3000 miles above the surface, that's when they'll take the sexy pictures, otherwise number one priority is mapping Jupiter and getting data

weaboo animefag detected

Last night's youtube live stream of Juno had a instant message feature. Nearly the entire thing was filled with nothing but religion fags, atheist fags, flat earthers, and people calling the images fake and NASA fake.

Even though the shots of Juno had big text that said it was CGI.

Also, no science will be done until August, due to capture orbits.

lol

>dat forced diversity

They have only 400 watts of solar power out there

This sort of bureaucratic run organizations are pretty slow too, dnno why, maybe too many people trying to justify paychecks

lol so much this. There's like 1 Asian guy on staff. The black chick was at Lockheed Martain and the Asian chick was just a reporter.

They even have a massive hipster.

>goygle
what do you expect

Any telescope you guys can recommend? I want to start with some stargazing and some Galilean moon peeking, but have no idea whats what on the telescope marked

How much do you want to spend? How mobile does it need to be?

Just wait till we get a close up of this, cant wait tbqhf.

Deleted both posts by accident lmao, I can't wait to see this as well.

I wonder if there's anything special under Jupiter's clouds?

We know there's water there, right?

Oh my.

>yfw Juno awakes Sauron from his slumber

People say it's impossible for anything to live in an environment like Jupiter but I bet there's some sort of life, maybe bacteria. We should stop ruling everything as impossible based on our planet.

Actually, just based on our planet we can rule in quite a lot. Like all that iron/sulfur-based life cycles around deep sea hydrothermal vents.

I don't think it's impossible but I doubt we'll be able to find any for a very long time if it is there, because technologically-speaking creating a radiation-proof drone-ship that can fly into Jupiter's atmosphere and escape Jupiter's gravity is way beyond our means.

Every time we do that shit we get surprised by something: "it's impossible for x to live in y conditions" --- "oh wow look! there x living in y! amazing!"

So long as energy can be attained, life has a chance of developing.

>People say it's impossible for anything to live in an environment like Jupiter
I've not actually heard anyone make that claim, and it doesn't seem particularly sensible. Jupiter is an incredibly unlikely candidate for life, but there's no particular reason to label it as impossible.

>I bet there's some sort of life, maybe bacteria
That would be an exceptionally poor bet.

>I've not actually heard anyone make that claim

Lucky you.

>not a single nigger
God I fucking hate google and every cuck that works there

Yeah you adore your job at Wall Mart... oh wait, what job?

Junocam is a fucking 1 cm big CCD sensor. 1600x1200 pixel with crappy picture quality as seen on wiki.
Even my 300$ Nikon DSLR has a better sensor than this shit

Damn it I just want high quality stereoscopic space fotos.

NASA, next time, please install a stereoscopic 360 camera.
I want to sit in the toilet with a gear vr on my head and pretend to fly on the back of a spacecraft through the asteroid belt of Saturn.

I propose hereby a satellite purely composed of high bandwith antennas inside a 10 meter big sphere of HD cameras.
With extremely near flybys of nice solar system places.

this makes me uncomfortable. I wonder what kind of forces are down there

>Even though the shots of Juno had big text that said it was CGI.

Extra extra read all about it:
"NASA admits faked photos shocker."

>goygle

Banter aside when are we gonna get them hi-res jupiter pics ?

>mapping clouds
fuck off

how fucking hard is it to strap a digital camera with a battery that turns on when reached there ffs

hi-res pics aren't until November

Actually it's surprisingly hard.
Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, because I'm sick of these 1998 ass pictures, but radiation man, it's a killer.

jesus CHRIST >:O

Is 1000 dollars give or take a reasonable amount?
Pic is somewhat realistic to what size/mobility i had in mind, but I'm not sure what size/price would be needed for a telescope able to see like , for example.

Radiation, also apparently the way it works is kinda complex-

>Its camera head looks very similar to Curiosity's MARDI, but JunoCam is much heavier because it has additional shielding to protect it from Jupiter's radiation environment. Its wide (58-degree) field of view is selected to allow it to take in all of Jupiter's globe when Juno is flying close over the Jovian poles at about an hour before and an hour after its closest approach on every science orbit. It's mounted to the side of Juno, which continuously spins at 2 rotations per minute. It can take images in RGB color or through an infrared filter sensitive to the presence of methane, which will highlight Jupiter cloud features. To take images, JunoCam uses the rotation of the spacecraft to sweep its view along, building up image swaths. To get super technical, it's a pushframe camera that uses time-delay integration to build up adequate signal despite the low light levels and rapidly rotating spacecraft.

>Since it's not a science instrument, JunoCam wasn't required to be heavily shielded enough to guarantee its survival throughout the prime science mission. It is shielded, but the Jupiter radiation environment is a nasty one, and JunoCam will suffer radiation damage over time. It was designed to withstand 8 Jupiter orbits, which roughly coincides with the end of 2016. Still, it's more likely to be a slow death (a steady increase in noise) than a sudden failure. We'll probably see degradation of the quality of JunoCam images in 2017, but hopefully the camera will hold up well enough to continue to operate for many more science orbits and voting rounds before Jupiter finally kills the camera. If we're lucky, JunoCam will survive until February 21, 2018, when Juno will plunge into Jupiter, on Perijove 37.

Your digital camera wouldn't last 10 minutes in space

>how fucking hard is it to strap a digital camera with a battery that turns on when reached there ffs
Easy. And it might even manage to take a whole picture before the high-radiation environment turns it into goo.

>If we're lucky, JunoCam will survive until February 21, 2018, when Juno will plunge into Jupiter, on Perijove 37.
It's be amazing if we could take some pictures and send them back as it's approaching Jupiter.

Sadly it probably wont happen.

holy shit

We're not spending 1 billion dollars to go sight seeing near Jupiter. We wanna get some science done.
Be glad we get pictures at all, there really is no scientific reason to have a camera on board at all.
We've got thousands of pictures from Jupiter already, from previous orbiters, flybys and gravity assists.

Pictures are just for publicity after all.

>bacteria

reeeeeeeeeeeeee

It would be an alien

>GOYGLE

Good goy

>liquid metal core
Can't wait until this meme is dispelled once and for all

fuck forgot the picture

>orbital insertion
>insertion

The patriarchy strikes again!

>Juno, sister & wife to Jupiter

That supports the anti-wite policy through degenerate behavior.

Why were people sperging in the last thread over NASA's flashy Marvel-tier trailers? Where do you think they get their money from? The public. And are the public gonna hand over their money to a dry ass hour long technical video? No.

Veeky Forums is incredibly retarded, you constantly complain that science gets no funding yet you sneer at the methods needed to secure it.

Space is a dead end for humanity. That boat sailed about 200 years when we started fucking up the environment. Now we don't have enough time left to do jack shit.

Who cares about funding?

>dropped out in freshman year
>posts nonsense popsci all day long
>calls Veeky Forums retarded

wew

Do not insult your God.

this shit is too spooky.

aren't you the UFOkid from /x/ ? who the fuck are you calling retarded lmao

every time i see a comparison like that i imagine myself being on earth in that position and then the earth disappears and im just there falling into an unfathomably wide spot

The most important question is.. Will Juno find a monolith?