Academic unemployment

How doyou feel about it? Are you unemployed too?

I got a Ph.D. in chemistry last year, still haven't found a job.

why arent you making drugs

Should have done comp sci, OP

Need money for the starting reagents. :(

1. work minimum wage part time job
2. get money for reagents
3. ???
4. get cooking

You have a phd in chem and

a) you know nobody inside (org) lab who can hook you up?

an

b) you have no clue where to steal those things at your uni ?

wtf have you learned in all those years

Ph D in chem? wow. hats off to you dude. i barely passed chem 16

What sub discipline of chemistry? Not looking for specifics. Synthetic? Computational? Physical?

What jobs are you looking at?

Get other job, everybody has to start from the bottom.

Organic and looking for pharma/R&D.

Unemployed biologist here. But I was completely aware this could happen.

>everybody has to start from the bottom.

In a sane world, earning a PhD should be equivalent to having like 4 years of professional experience. There's no reason why a PhD should start from the bottom.

That said, don't ever fall for the academia meme. Get your bachelors and get working, if you are destined for a PhD then eventually your company will pay for you to get it.

There's 2 possibilities. Bringing up your PhD studies wanting them to count in your future employment. This will label you an expert and you will be overqualified for anything not in your niche / neighbouring areas. Or shuting up about it and starting lower down in something less niched say for example something your MSc studies would have sufficed for.

Congrats OP. I basically failed chemistry every time I took it (math major). I barely passed because I could calculate math problems, but had no idea what any of it meant.

How did you manage to obtain a PhD in it? How did you manage to do all the labs? What is your advice on studying chemistry?

Every chemistry class I had was terrible. I knew 0 chemistry yet the professors ASSUMED at least AP level knowledge in chemistry coming in. By the time I took chem 101 I was already a senior in math and hadn't touched chemistry in 6+ years.

I had to take multiple chem classes, so my first 101 class was the first chem class i had in 6 years && they didn't even start at the basics. Guess that is why I never did very well .

>even allowed to go for a PhD without an MSc
what kind of weakling cheat is this?

>wasting time on a master when you're going in for a PhD

>mfw I'm doing a phd in astrophysics
fuck
I am taking a few side courses in computional physics, so maybe that'll pay off...

>be me
>take an associates engineering technology program at 18
>take a piping design job right out of school, make 50k for a couple years
>jump ship and take a job on alaska slope, make six figures at 23
>hard as fuck, work 84 hour weeks, have to deal with roughnecks
>suck it up, learn to stand up for myself, earn their respect
>work my way up, with overtime make 200k a year by the time I am 25
>decide I want a degree, enroll in a decent mech eng program
>Go to school in the fall, go back to work on the slope for the rest of the year, go back to school the following winter, repeat
>have 2 semesters left to go, oil industry is slow, decide to just finish my degree this year
>mfw 31 years old and own a house, range rover, and condo in Cancun, no debt
>mfw I have 4 work contacts hitting me up on LinkedIn with kickass jobs once I have my degree
>mfw a couple of my professors want me to apply to grad school

So glad I didn't fall for the 'university at 18' meme. My life is literally wide open, I am leaning towards the job offer with Saudi Armaco.

Guess you don't live on USA.

Really? I have a bs in Biochemistry and I'm still looking for a job, but how have you not found one yet? I've seen so many for PhDs that don't even require experience

If what you're aiming for is only to wear the title as some commodity and don't care about the knowledge, sure then I can understand that attitude.

Not even possible to start a PhD without a MSc in my country. You simply aren't considered to be ready for PhD level studies by then.

STEM PhDs are already paid for.

>Yeah, just teach fucking calculus one to a class of absolute morons and we will give you a salary that a Mc Donald's cashier would laugh at

>be me
>get into uni at 18
>get great grades in difficult courses, get paid to teach younger engineering students already in second year and all along the studies
>get well paid job at fancy american company. work away with practical computer stuff for a couple of years to stash some money
>having stacked some money, quit company to go for a STEM research position at a university.
>spend another of them famous 10000 hours. acquire that inner feeling of actually understanding some advanced shit and the deep sense of happiness that comes with it.

So glad I didn't fall into the eternal hunt for money and fame meme. I have achieved my greatest life goal already at 30. It didn't require even a dollar. Well I do expect to have to work a bit in the future to make ends meet but that inner sense God that stuff sure is magical. You really can't measure it in money.

Dude, you cant get a job with the oil companies, power companies, chemical manufacturing, etc?

He should be able to pretty easy, a position as a staff / senior scientist, which starts around 70 - 80k. Unless he totally fucked his PhD getting no publications or something.

If you specialized in Physical Chemistry, you can apply for a majority of ChemE jobs. I know a couple graduates that did that, stealing ChemE Masters and PhD level jobs.

should've fallen for the engineering meme

Do you not realize that you have a masters phase then a PhD phase in a US PhD program? You get both funded, and you have all of the knowledge of a masters along with getting to know the faculty in your department/being able to find a professor to cozy up to for your PhD studies before your masters is over.

lol he thinks 30 is "life wide open"

How does it feel to have wasted all of your best years working shitty jobs?