Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums
Can we get a general degrees thread going?
>Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
>Bachelor of Biomedical Science in Molecular Pathology

thoughts?

Maybe, if you posted a tier pic that wasn't the most cancerous and wrong of them all.

Unless you go to a top uni and have a specific plan with biomed (like going into academia or something like that) and love the subject more than anything else, do software engy for jobs.

Science degrees are for those who have a plan and like something specific. Engineering for your comfy that can get you jobs conveniently.

Maybe, if you posted a tier pic that wasn't the most cancerous and wrong of them all.

I'm planning on progressing through Bio-med to become an research immunologist, the Software Engineer is just so I can find a job to finance my education.

And apologies for the pic, haven't seen any others around.

>Bachelor of Biomedical Science in Molecular Pathology
this sounds like a fancy name for molecular biology

My university has weird names for their degrees.

all degree ranking pics are shit

except this one:

God tier: What you love, do well and pays well
Top tier: What you love and do well
Mid tier: What pays well and you do well / What you love and pays well
Low tier: Only one of the three
Shit tier: None of the three

but women studies senpai

What's wrong with political science/international relations?

Basic sciences require a PhD if you want a good job. So I recommend getting lab research experience as an undergraduate because if you hate it you will hate your career and your life. If your school offers a 5 year BS /MS I'd do that since you can get a decent job like that or you can go to graduate school to continue a PhD.

I am speaking from chemistry experience. I know that bio informatics and computational biology is getting really hot so if you can dual major in biology / CS, biology / math, biology / physics, or even just biology but learn programming or get a minor in CS you can get a pretty cool job. Most will require a master's though. I know if you did a BS / MS and did your thesis in bio informatics you could get a job starting at 55 - 70k depending on how good your projects are. I know that biology is changing and becoming more quantitative, same with pathology.

If computation isn't your thing, molecular genetics / biology is also getting pretty hot now with the recent advances. But you'll still need a PhD to do any meaningful work.

Dunno, author of the image would've been a STEMfag.

God Tier: Video game programmer
Top tier: Engineer
Mid Tier: Hard Sciences
Low Tier: Soft Sciences except Social Sciences
Shit tier: Gender Studies and Everything else not listed

t. Gaben

>God Tier: Video game programmer

Could there a be a profession less useful to society?

Women studies.

"Video game programmer" is just "programmer."

Video game developer, physics engine designer or anything similar is just code monkey.

No hope for employment, unless you'd like to teach it

This

Mods please delete

Twas considering somekind of embassy job

>implying this is an advice thread

Protip: You don't get those unless you're already rich or your family is rich.

Better to localize it because there will be like 500 threads asking same shit.

Is that really true, why?

it's a soft advice general

I don't know, when Veeky Forums redirects to /adv/ they don't get any good answers because /adv/ is basically /r9k/

Studying animation. Love it a lot. Am average at it and it doesn't pay much.

Going to study other majors that can be usefull for movies/video games so that I have a hope of success in life. Idk if I should switch countrys. In canada atm for low prices studies

Think with that one I'm top tier, going for computer sciences in the fall. Math is my best subject and I basically live on computers, probably not going to be able to get a job afterward though.

Why is pharma a tier below med?

I think because medicine requires more independent thought, whereas pharmaceuticals is just remember drug interactions and shit.

But I wouldn't know.

>medicine god-tier
TOP KEK

No, it's just a stupid arbitrary list. Pharma isn't just memorizing drug interactions. Design and synthesis of drugs and studying them is very complex.

-t. Pharmacuck"logist"

No.

t. MD PhD student.

No to you

T. More phd's than you

What sort of independent thought? Isn't diagnosis just analyzing aspects of symptoms and giving advice based on severity?

Because it is politics, you cannot get anywhere in non-elected politics without having connections or sucking dick (sometimes literally, if you are a woman).

You are only going to get a job as an ambassador if your dad is Obama or if you suck up to someone really important so that he thinks you are submissive cuck that will act politically like he would and then he will assign you to just make decisions he would make. The moment you show any kind of agency in your job then... well... you know what happened at Benghazi.

>Troops, even though we know of the terrorist attack to the ambassadors, no need to worry. Stay in your placements, the guys will be fine. :^)

Wouldn't be surprised if the government also paid the terrorists to do the attack.

as usual nobody knows shit about biochemistry or geneticists.
[math]feels-bad-man[/math]

Would animal sciences be mid tier then? Or like marine biology?

Do software engineer salaries plateau over time? Asking for a friend.

you're alright

Chemist with an MSc here
I could barely found a job as a business consultant at a chemistry software company (salary = lower-mid tier)

Does anyone have that tier pic by the way with God Tier: What you love Top Tier: What you're good at, etc?

If anything we should post it in these threads

CS is the fucking bomb especially if you love math

What school and grades?

normies can get jobs with any degree or even without. robots struggle to get jobs with perfect transcripts.

you're too mature for this board

Going to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering in the spring. Not sure if i should get a masters in material science, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or just get my MBA. Is a masters even worth it?

>MBA
what school were you thinking?

Honestly which ever one i can get in to. I go to WVU right now because it was basically free but i understand its not that great.

>Chemistry MSc
>not PhD or at least BSc + years experience
Enjoy teaching secondary school, you're going nowhere.

Top school in my country
cgpa 3.5+

Looking to get a phd if I can make the time from work next term, also every job you apply for seeks experience while you waste away your life in academia which nobody gives a shit about

I'm about to start a bachelor in chemistry at a prestige university. Got any words of wisdom?

Quantum Field Theory doctorate

Get internships ASAP + PhD or die

which country

if it's a 1st world country you were born in, enjoy the free pussy and the easy ride for the rest of your life, if not, idk start making bombs for isis or smth

Please fucking tell me that the PhD is a meme.

Political science. Suck my dick faggots.

Seems like you're the one who will be sucking a lot of dick

Not OP, but BA in Chem from shit school, PhD in progress from top 5.

Get into research ASAP, it can potentially overcome a shit GPA (know someone who got into Caltech PhD with a 2.9 GPA, but was able to overcome it with amazing letters of recommendation and research), but keep your GPA high and try to find a lab that will let you take an independent project / a professor that will offer to be a mentor to you, don't be afraid to look in other departments too.

Chemistry is the "central science" as they say, and I was offered to do undergraduate research in the Chemical Engineering , Physics, Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, and Chemistry departments.I chose Chemical Engineering because I liked what the kind of research he did.

I initially did research in the Chemistry department but had a falling out with the Professor but was able to get into another lab that I enjoyed much more because I had the necessary skills.

But pick something preferably something that you enjoy. Study hard and challenge yourself!

This thread.

I swear I've posted like this exact post before, feels good to see someone actually agree instead of seeing college/university as nothing more than a degree mill for a miserable life only redeemed by monetary status

>Comparing proper scientists to tv memes
Why is Veeky Forums so insecure?

All of them besides bill nye would qualify as proper scientists. If not, what do you need to have done to be a proper scientist?

People who actually do science intead of memeing in tv and debating creationists.

Can't you do both?

Obviously, but those people are pretty rare. E.g. feynman.

If you're actually intelligent, you'll make more with a physics or math degree than with engineering.

Feynman didn't waste his air time with silly stuff like debating creationists, or philosophers.

The real tierlist.

He talked about philosophy a lot and had a bitter-sweet approach to it. Creationsim is a bit more modern.

Fucks sake man, how can you be so uninformed that you think everyone who works in an embassy is an ambassador? Diplomatic work is basically the semi-overt front of intelligence work and thus requires the same range of analysts, case officers, and relationship builders.

If you're smart you can make a LOT with physics, chemistry, and math, but it won't be in academia. My PI's older brother got a PhD in Organic Chemistry and was recruited by a pharmaceuticals company a year before he graduated, starting salary was 120,000 in 1999. He did that for a while, then the company paid him to get an MBA, now he definitiely a over a million a year with his bonuses. Really nice guy, took us all to the Bahamas, full expenses paid, when his brother got tenure.

Philosophy + Economics + Physics + Mathematics + Computer Science would make you the true god-tier.

Choosing two of them is that hard part. Musk did Physics and Economics, even saying he only did the Economics so that businessmen couldn't push him around, yet regrets getting the degree and says he'd probably just take Physics by itself if he could go back.

Physics and Economics seems like a good idea. Understand how the universe works and understand how human society works.

Philosophy seems really enlightening in some ways but I don't think that a 4 year degree in it is required. Mathematics seems great, Computer science seems dumb unless it's a really good program.

If I was to go right now, I'd do Physics + something above if I was really inclined.

Engineering, I don't really think Elon Musk would be what he is with a degree in engineering.

I'm doing paramedical science (best uni in country), then gonna take two or three years to get clinical experience and overcome those patient care boundaries, then apply for grad entry medicine. At this early stage I'd like to imagine myself staying in EMS as an MD but obviously I don't know anything about what I'll match up with yet. I'm hoping paramedic experience will make it more likely though.

Gotta love those government bursaries, tuition fee payments, and grants too.

If you're intelligent you can figure out how human society works from maths alone. And if you can do maths you can do computer science and physics. And if you can do physics you can do engineering. Maths confirmed for top tier all encompassing umbrella degree of the century.

>Be me
>Be physics major undergrad
>Be year behind in maths
>Nearly finish lib eds freshman year while taking precalc
>Now summer
>Taking Calc 1
>May fail it
How fucked am I Veeky Forums? Should I give up now?