I hate how this board is 99% trolls and bullshit. Seriously, you guys ask fucking retarded questions...

I hate how this board is 99% trolls and bullshit. Seriously, you guys ask fucking retarded questions. Just make it the /uni/ - Academics board already. They're the only threads anyone gives a fuck about even though they get deleted within the hour.

Seriously, actually think about it. most of this website is college kids or underage kiddies, so we can't really discuss anything mathematical or scientific worth discussing because we don't know shit. We can't get homework help here because that's for /wsr/, apparently, and we can't ask about college/university shit because that's for /adv/, a board that is literally 99% relationship advice, so we just get 99% shitposting. LOOK at the fucking catalogue right now. It's ALL bullshit.

Fuck this dumbass board. This thread will probably get deleted by some power hungry faggot mod spewing "meta thread" and let the retarded troll threads stay up. Fuck you retards.

*upvote*

*upboat*

*upboat*

I actually agree with the point about university threads. Don't change the name of the board, just allow general education threads

Cancer.

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad. Any time you try to post an interesting intellectual problem, the kiddies will scream at you that it's homework. Then if you try to post something cool that you've made, e.g. your research, retards will flame you and try to sabotage you somehow as a "joke."

The reason why Veeky Forums is trash is because the community doesn't know how to do anything besides fling shit at each other, which drives away all the users that post interesting content.

>expecting something from Veeky Forums

it's what makes it nice when you actually find something genuinely intriguing, informative or helpful here.

In the meantime there are funny memes.

What's not to love ?

Kill yourself and your shit rebbit site faggot, if you like it so much go back to being a fucking nigger and GTFO

Actually this board is full of maths and physics grad students. We just prefer to post banter and memes instead of giving lectures to undergrad kiddies like you.

newfag detected

>this board is full of maths and physics grad students
good one kid.

Maybe stop compulsively posting until you have something to contribute

>Just make it the /uni/ - Academics board already. They're the only threads anyone gives a fuck about
No, they are shit because not
>Veeky Forums - Science & Math
I'd even say cancer (and go to /adv/, just to not be here), but I can mostly ignore them and so they don't bother me THAT much

Wow she's cute!

>Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad
No, it's fine. It has its fair share of the shitposting trio, /r9k/, /pol/ and /x/, but other than that, it's got memes, potentially helpful career threads and actual science and math threads, some of which are on the first page RIGHT now. Not to mention many engineering threads that hit the bump limit. So quit your whining and lurk moar. It's not Veeky Forums-level of discourse, but that's because not everyone knows enough/can follow scientific arguments. It is to be expected.

No, there are barely any good threads, ever.

What are you smoking? It's a constant onslaught of flat-earthers, creationists, climate change deniers, spiritualism threads, and gorillaposters. It wasn't always like this.

What you are witnessing is the death of Veeky Forums at the hands of the newfags. You know that it's irreversible once threads like this start cropping up. The same thing happened to /g/ about a year and a half ago when it was taken over by consumerism.

>flat-earthers
deleted as soon as they appear for the most part

>creationists
same

>climate change deniers
fair point
>spiritualism threads
no

>gorillaposters
meme's been dead for a long time

If you want actual science threads, maybe you should try contributing to them or creating your own. Obviously shitposting threads attract more attention, it's in their nature, but that doesn't erase legitimate threads from existence. protip: use the catalogue

>If you want actual science threads, maybe you should try contributing to them or creating your own.
Except when I do I get flamed and my threads get ignored for the other troll threads.

Just because you deny something doesn't mean it isn't there. Get the fuck out.

>Except when I do I get flamed
elaborate

>get ignored for the other troll threads.
As I said, this is to be expected. Obviously the laymen or people who know nothing about science but visit Veeky Forums to feel smart will stick to the threads that don't require any specific knowledge to contribute. Veeky Forums discussion is achievable within the range of simple Googling, scientific discussions on Veeky Forums aren't. There's nothing that this board could do to change that. Blame the mods for not curbing and discouraging shitposting like Veeky Forums does.

/diy/ has better science discourse than Veeky Forums.

literally this

No, it doesn't. If you wanna cherrypick only the shitty threads of Veeky Forums, then so be it, but don't try to convince anyone of that based on actual argumentation. Science includes a lot of theory to understand apart from the experimental parts, if you think that the theory remotely resembles the topics discussed on /diy/, then there's nothing more to discuss because you have gravely misunderstood what science is about. I'm not saying Veeky Forums is perfect, but I hate this attitude of calling everything shit just because.

P.S. Forgot to mention that one of the reasons many legit science threads/problems aren't on the first page is that most of them are swiftly answered and gradually disappear off Veeky Forums so you don't get to see them at all. Speaking from experience too.

I'm not sure what science board you're browsing, but it's definitely not the same one we are.

Idk, but I wish Veeky Forums had more /g/ and /diy/ in it. It would be nice if we had our own personal labs, tools, experiments, projects, etc. to show off.

I dare you to try posting stuff you've done on Veeky Forums. Shitstorms will ensue.

Not him, but scientific equipment accessibility really doesn't compare to what /diy/ or /g/ uses. There are periodically stories about lab experiments and projects, threads about calculators and shit, as well as a few chem experiment threads (the only experiments that you can do and show off from the comfort of your house, like /g/ or /diy/ do). Can't have much more than that I'm afraid.

I don't mind, but I don't have anything to show. Did people show their stuff in the past and it went bad or what?

Something is better than nothing.

thats not true at all. the majority of the people on Veeky Forums are college students, and even the shittiest community college in the world has a treasure trove of equipment that you are entitled to use.

i have access to a Mikron 5 axis CNC mill and a fucking arc furnace at my CC.

A couple weeks back I posted a thread asking for application ideas of this new global back box optimization algorithm that I've been developing. All I got were a bunch of angry incoherent replies saying that I had just invented a random number generator in python, that my research was trivial, and one particularly retarded kid saying he could do what I've been working on for the last six months with assistance from my professors in 30 minutes.

Not a single application was suggested.

*upboat*

them feels running through your body and head when you realize OP is right about Veeky Forums

not that guy, but i made a thread asking for suggestions for a pump design for a small engine project. i got similar incoherent replies like from dudes who obviously never made it past the wikipedia article on fluid mechanics.

Guy asked for personal lab and experiment showoff. I doubt the average Veeky Forums undergrad will be willing to take up a project on their own using valuable university equipment, assuming they have the creativity in the first place. Doing things in your house by yourself is much easier and is predominantly what is shown off in /g/ and /diy/ threads.

>one particularly retarded kid saying he could do what I've been working on for the last six months with assistance from my professors in 30 minutes
My brother is exactly like that. A know-it-all. Best to just ignore people like that.

>I doubt the average Veeky Forums undergrad will be willing to take up a project

my point was that its not the lack of equipment. college students arguably have access to superior equipment than the people on /diy/ or /g/. its the will to bring it to life that Veeky Forums lacks. which is sad imo, because that valuable university equipment is literally there for YOU. like, thats what your tuition entitles you to.

this, Veeky Forums has really gone down the hill

Do you understand now that this is a brainlet containment board? There are a few people who actually are interested in study/research. They are a minority.

In my experience, availability of valuable responses depends on whether you get lucky or not. Some days, intelligent and contributing posters lurk and help people. Most days, shitposting underage faggots lurk and fuck threads up. I guess you might have to put the thread up again and hope for the best.

All you say is true. I'd like to add though that doing something innovatory in hard scientific fields is much more difficult than writing up new code or inventing small things with niche uses. So it's technically not all the students' fault.

This is what you get when you create a scientific discussion board with anonymous that doesn't take any effort to enter. You are bound to have stupid shit like this

i long for the day that Veeky Forums posts more cute pieces of code or niche inventions.

never have i expected innovatory ideas from Veeky Forums.

What board are you even on? It's not Veeky Forums. fuck off retard.

>never have i expected innovatory ideas from Veeky Forums.
Come on m8, Veeky Forums is a meme factory. You can call this place anything you want, but being uncreative is not one of the accusations I would mention. Maybe you just got too used to this place and it doesn't impress you anymore. It gets a bad rap overall, but most of its users are clever for the most part with a tendency to shitpost a lot, which might mask their smarts.

Let's not act like innovating on something that is useful to society is easy either. People dedicate their lives to that kind of shit, you can't expect a fucking anime imageboard of all places to supersede the work of actual working professionals.

lmao fucking this.

The more we complain, the more edgy teens post. Best is to report and report.

maybe get IDs, so at least there's less samefagging?

>most of its users are clever
lmao what are you smoking?

>you can't expect a fucking anime imageboard of all places to supersede the work of actual working professionals.

thats what i meant when i said i don't expect innovation out of Veeky Forums.

>you can't expect a fucking anime imageboard of all places to supersede the work of actual working professionals.

so why isn't this just /uni/ - University board or something? The threads about careers and majors are literally the only ones I've ever seen be taken seriously because most of us are college students or kids about to go to college and it's this big important thing that we're just deleting and not allowing for fucking what reason exactly other than "its da rulz" it's just retarded.

where the fuck do you do science and math? in a university, yet if you even mention college or anything the thread gets deleted while the shitposter and his flat earth thread stays up. makes no sense.

Fair enough, I thought you meant creativity and innovation in general. Bottom line though, that's not an unrealistic lack of expectation.

It's not like ALL the science discussion has to be about innovation. Some people just might want their problems solved, or simple explanation of something. If someone wants to interact with people to understand how a certain chemical reaction works, or how vaccines work or some niche question/problem in another scientific field, wouldn't these constitute actual scientific questions? Doesn't seem like they fall under either the innovation or the university category.

I don't disagree with the sentiment behind what you said though. It IS stupid that university threads are banned, considering all the other shit that's up. Again, take it up with the mods, not the posters.

>Some people just might want their problems solved, or simple explanation of something

which is for /wsr/, not here, according to the fucking sticky itself.

homework is generally forbidden, as in mathematical problems, but the same homework in, say, biology or chemistry is not forbidden because even simple problems are indistinguishable from a research question pertaining to science, to the layman at least. Kind of a weird situation going on. I'd be lying if I said you weren't on to something there though. I think mods meant to discourage simplistic high school exercises from being posted, but many scientific questions could fall under that category.

In other words, chemistry and biology get a free ride on "homework" threads, so the mods don't enforce the rules against them, which kind of helps the situation but then again mathematics and physics get the bad end of that stick, sometimes at least... I don't know what the best course of action is here, to remove the homework part of the sticky or leave things as is. Everything depends on the discretion of the mods right now.

Before we even get on this problem though, maybe we should push the mods to get more aggressive towards the shitposting. That is the most urgent problem right now.

This. Shitposting is a far bigger problem than HW and career threads.

cancer

this is correct

hello samefag

There are a few websites and and organizations dedicated to keeping the quality is all boards on Veeky Forums as low as possible. Since they can't outright DDOS very well they use social engineering to have Veeky Forums eat itself from within.

Some boards have better mods and janitors is all that is the difference. and are usually pretty good quality.

please don't try to end this board by saying "it's garbage! It's fucking garbage and it's all because of X"

That is the death knell, and has been, for any board that's gone to utter shit. If it bothers you, we have a mantra here.

>Veeky Forums is 90% pop science and shitposting, 10% actual science